Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Time to change forum poll

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Tallon wrote: »
    The highlighted sentence really irks me CabanSail!

Are you saying that anyone who has anything negative to say about the forum is a 'whiny whinger'?

No ..... Not at all .... but after the negative posts, you ask for Positive Suggestions for change, and some of the loudest critics make no suggestions at all it makes one wonder what is the agenda.

And yes ..... it Irks me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

CabanSail wrote: »
    No ..... Not at all .... but after the negative posts, you ask for Positive Suggestions for change, and some of the loudest critics make no suggestions at all it makes one wonder what is the agenda.

And yes ..... it Irks me too.
    The threads only been there a few hours.. Also, there's plenty of suggestions in this thread if you re-read it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I know there are suggestions here. If you read the other thread then the idea is to ask for considered responses to lay out what improvements are sought. Trying to restrict it to one post each will condense all the chatter into a more concise form.

Nowt wrong with discussion continuing here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i'm surprised to be the only one who posted in the other thread :confused:
    thought there'd be more now?

It was only posted today and we were asked to give a good response, only post once and cut the chat, so I'm not going to take my time replying if that's okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

i'm surprised to be the only one who posted in the other thread :confused:
    thought there'd be more now?

It is simple, any discussion was forbidden as default, from the very beginning. What is forum for, if you cannot discuss anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

ThOnda wrote: »
    It is simple, any discussion was forbidden as default, from the very beginning. What is forum for, if you cannot discuss anything?

What are you doing now?
    You are discussing...

Some people are never happy. You have the opportunity to discuss changes here and post positive ideas on the stickied thread. It couldnt be much clearer or transparent than that IMO. Despite this you continue to post in the negative way quoted.

What are you doing now?
    You are discussing...

Some people are never happy. You have the opportunity to discuss changes here and post positive ideas on the stickied thread. It couldnt be much clearer or transparent than that IMO. Despite this you continue to post in the negative way quoted.
    'Was' means past tense

Tallon wrote: »
    'Was' means past tense

In the stickied thread?

That thread is for ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

CabanSail wrote: »
    Yes .... that is right .... Hidden at the TOP of the forum and STICKIED it so that nobody will see it ...... all part of a devious plot. :eek:

Yes it was the same approach last time. Ask for for the opinions of those that use the place and then collate the positive responses received. They were then implemented. We also took into account the whiny whingers who only posted negative replies and tried to please them too. :rolleyes:

The whole forum was altered to best fit the feedback given, as we are so opposed to change. Of course the best thing to do is not to get involved, and only lob grenades of negativity from the sidelines. "Plus ça change" is only to be expected.

Why am I not surprised with that response. Didn't see the sticky, don't read them. I contributed at length positively to the last debate btw.

I'll see your whiny whinger and raise you an ultra conservative stuck in one gear Mod :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

EyeBlinks wrote: »
    Why am I not surprised with that response. Didn't see the sticky, don't read them. I contributed at length positively to the last debate btw.
    your reasoning still makes a mockery of your complaint that the thread was hidden away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

your reasoning still makes a mockery of your complaint that the thread was hidden away.

Well I didn't see it, SORRY.

Last time it was hidden far away from the photogrpahy forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm seeing a lot of complaints about the excessive level of moderation here. from what i've seen, it's a light touch compared to a lot of a rest of the sections on boards (and i'm speaking as someone banned from two of them for various farcical reasons).
    i would not choose to be a mod, because you can't please all the people all the time, so you invariably end up with people pissed off with you.

you are using a free service moderated by people giving their time for free, who may have other stuff (like Real Life) going on at the same time. cut them some slack.

I'll see your whiny whinger and raise you an ultra conservative stuck in one gear Mod :rolleyes:

Is this meant to be positive.

I don't wish to make enemies in any way on this forum but I do not understand why people will first complain and then when the opportunity comes up to contribute ideas, people still complain. The thread would seem to me to be stickied so it appears at the top of the forum page to be easily accessible. This means people who follow the forum will come across it even if there are no recent posts. The purpose of this thread was to ascertain whether people wanted to change the forum and with the poll showing that users had an appetite for this the moderators have acted upon the poll result.

To me that is a positive thing and the stickied thread is an opportunity for forum users to concisely give opinion to the changes they sought. As I said already I don't wish to make enemies on the forum but I don't understand why people who looked for changes are still unhappy when change is facilitated. Maybe these are the "whiny whingers" and it is obvious to everyone in this world that some people fall into this category. So why not point them out in the process of seeking positive feedback, noone was identified as being in that group. So why not put ideas in the thread as requested and try and reach a concensus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

i'm seeing a lot of complaints about the excessive level of moderation here. from what i've seen, it's a light touch compared to a lot of a rest of the sections on boards (and i'm speaking as someone banned from two of them for various farcical reasons).
    i would not choose to be a mod, because you can't please all the people all the time, so you invariably end up with people pissed off with you.

you are using a free service moderated by people giving their time for free, who may have other stuff (like Real Life) going on at the same time. cut them some slack.

Just on this.
    If anyone had an issue with any of the moderators decisions then feel free to contact me via PM about them and (time permitting) I'll talk about them. If it was any of my modding (as Cmod) within the forum than PM the forum mods.
    Moderating any forum is always going to be contensious as we can't please everyone. For everyone that sees the forum as being overmodded others will see it as being lax. Thats life.
    /CMod

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement

Last time it was hidden far away from the photogrpahy forum.

Last time it was also a Sticky in the Main Forum just like this time. :confused:

Lord Lucan lives in the Stickies too. :D

Advertisement