Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking towards Galway HIM....

Options
  • 12-06-2012 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, it's 12 weeks exactly until 70.3 Galway and I'm looking forward to it I must say, even if the weather is crap again as It's my first 70.3 distance.

I won't ask ye endless questions about how to train for Galway but what I will ask is if anyone has any tried and tested 70.3 plans that they have found has worked for them??

I all ready have a good base of fitness from the last two years including DCM 2011 under my belt and a few oly's, so I'm confident I will make the distance on the day but Id like to put more structure to my training as at the moment it's seems very very scattered and unorganised. I would also like to go sub 6 hours for this race so if there was any plan tailored to that it would be even better.

Thanks in advance for any comment's and or links to HIM plans.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

One race that will be useful is the Galway Triathlon Club Galway Aquathon race.

Galway Aquathon

The long race option is a 2k swim/10k run. Its a great opportunity to swim the HIM distance (with a little extra) in a race situation in Galway Bay. Its the second year of the race in its current form. Details are on the web site.

Its also a nation series aquathon race as well - the only one for the year.

It was a great success last year and we're hoping to improve on the race even more.

There will be a swim clinic on the Friday night before the race so its a great opportunity to ask a few questions about the swim and the bay conditions.

If the longer distance doesn't fit into your training plan, there is also 1k swim/ 5k run option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Galway Aquathon

The long race option is a 2k swim/10k run. Its a great opportunity to swim the HIM distance (with a little extra) in a race situation in Galway Bay. Its the second year of the race in its current form. Details are on the web site.

It was a great success last year and we're hoping to improve on the race even more.

There will be a swim clinic on the Friday night before the race so its a great opportunity to ask a few questions about the swim and the bay conditions.

If the longer distance doesn't fit into your training plan, there is also 1k swim/ 5k run option.

Is there a contingency plan in case the bay is like it was for the Galway 70.3 last year?

The aquathon had a cracking day for the event last year and it was really well run.

pgibbo wrote: »
    Is there a contingency plan in case the bay is like it was for the Galway 70.3 last year?

The aquathon had a cracking day for the event last year and it was really well run.

Thanks pgibbo. We're working hard to ensure another good race this year.

Yes, there is a contingency plan in place. There are several plans depending on the severity of the conditions.

Just to clairfy so I'm not misleading people - the race is NOT the same course as the 70.3 but you are racing in the same area that the 70.3 is in and obviously the distances are almost the same as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭subscriber

Galway Aquathon

Yes I had planned on doing the aquathon as well in preparation. It's very well promoted this year that's for sure. As well, your talking to a fellow Galway Tri Club member here :)

I didn't do the aquathon last year but I heard somewhere you needed proof of being able to swim 1500 meters in under 40 minutes before being allowed take part in the long distance aquathon race, is there any truth to this or just rumours?? I don't think it will effective me although as I'm usually a 29 min 1500 meter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Looking forward to this. I haven't swam the distance in the sea yet but will do this week.

• Advertisement

subscriber wrote: »

I didn't do the aquathon last year but I heard somewhere you needed proof of being able to swim 1500 meters in under 40 minutes before being allowed take part in the long distance aquathon race, is there any truth to this or just rumours?? I don't think it will effective me although as I'm usually a 29 min 1500 meter time.

If you look at website FAQ
    Do I need proof that I can swim the full 2km distance for the long course race to take part?

No, but the safety team will be applying STRICT but fair cutoff times along the course for the athletes’ safety. Swimmers are required to pass Palmers Rock / Ladies Beach in 30 mins. After 35 mins swimmers who have not passed this point will be removed from the water and transported to the transition area. From here they can complete the run, without an official completion time.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

How many people are entered so far for HIM? no list on their website. Anyone from race organization on boards?

Advertisement