Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C for a small panel (6 photos)

• 12-06-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭

I am submitting some pics for a "fun" (as in "not a competition" ) panel competition in DCC next week. Other than my L I have never put together a panel. I want to avoid looking like a prat in front of the members (I'll do that on the internet instead) so some feedback, positive or negative, would be appreciated!

The photos are of my dogs, taken over the last couple of years.

I wonder what she's doing now?
    B0B70481E5BF499E815FEEC98B870623-0000315935-0002889064-00800L-0E964A5FBEDC4214A2591FA522FBB3D3.jpg

Me and My Shadow

ED25445C9F6743E5A4551E9DB4227198-0000315935-0002889063-00800L-9527413C19A940BC8ADCE765FEB1EED2.jpg

Que?

F928D674F712463685E03971AEEDB8DB-0000315935-0002889062-00800L-17B0840536654A6CA7636DA18FA8A7D4.jpg

Together

E737948ED7C3492A8FEB8CC129C03025-0000315935-0002889061-00800L-34D3018D97C34E56AA5C396CFDD4CD48.jpg

... and stretch

E9DF6D7F2E7D497C99F283731BFE80E3-0000315935-0002889060-00800L-444EE0BD2D444626ADB50EF0B81160ED.jpg

The Boss

E27CE57A1DE340DCBB357D458FF82255-0000315935-0002889059-00800L-7F274D5B3FD04CF9B59E3E0F12FCE2B1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Just an observation but the word fun only really comes to mind for number 4.

I think the 2nd photo is lacking a small bit of contrast.

They are some pretty good images though. Good quality all round.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Lovely dogs. Perfect posers. Great set of photos but no 2 for me is the weaker of the bunch, needs a little tweaking. 3 and 4 are my favourites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

All are up to your usual excellent quality. The playful "fun" element only comes out in pic no 4.
    p.s. "The Boss" is a clever dog, he even has his own mobile phone number. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I love the 1st and 3rd photos. The third in particular- the dog looks like its going to take the camera off you. The captions on the 1st and last work best for me. Least favourite is no.05 which seems like just an average snapshot. You have one on pix with dog in the water which I would prefer http://pix.ie/asadlier/2880758 .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Panel......A.....Panel....A.......November........A......;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its funny, people seem to have very different favourites e.g. 5 got a lot of favourable reaction on pix.ie, 2 got favourable reaction in the camera club to a few people I showed them to.

Its seems the liking of dogs, like photos, is a very subjective thing.

And number 6 has her own mobile number in case some noobs can't figure out the exif data and they want to contact her for the rights to use her image in a calendar :-)

But do they hang together as a panel?

Dennis, I hear what you are saying; but where do I get another suitable 9 shots without repetition? It may be an Irish Birds panel for November...

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

i love them - can almost see what the dog is thinking :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

lovely shots, just the border...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

I don't know how to put this in any subtle turn of polite or obliging Irish English, so I'll just toss this out there in Los Angelean:

Don't be such a #&)*#@ tool.

Of those shots 1, 2 and 3 are of professional grade. Either you're being falsely modest or you're an unaware savant.

Just be yourself and don't worry what they think. You could sell those shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its funny, people seem to have very different favourites e.g. 5 got a lot of favourable reaction on pix.ie, 2 got favourable reaction in the camera club to a few people I showed them to.
    My problem with 5 is also that back dog looks like it is peeing rather than stretching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Button_y

Lovelt set of photographs. Since its for a panel, I will make some very picky comments.

1. Wouldn't change anything
    2. Beautiful capture, can you extend the canvas down a tiny bit so the reflection is not so close to the edge? Also maybe a little clean up on the water behind and to the right of the dog would focus the eye more
    3. Really nice so much detail in the hair. Almost want to reach out and touch him/her. Only pity is the ear :(
    4. Again fab, right top corner I'd fix, stop the eye going there.
    5. Not mad on this one and not sure it fits with the reflective mood.
    6. Lovely mood to this, if its a crop you got any more space to the left ?

Thanks Guys

I will take on board all of the feedback and have a look at it over the weekend (I have to print and mount everything by Monday night).

I like the humour of number 5 - but then again I know the personality of these dogs and other viewers won't. So here are some possible alternatives for it - feedback welcomed.

Heading Home

0F6C99A021C142F78F96CCF4EC4EB1C5-0000315935-0002880751-00800L-5622A88D3DF34D99A58A86F8A34FD54A.jpg

I'm Coming

DF1CBFB1894C47BCBA03C58B2D11AB21-0000315935-0002880754-00800L-5E63DEE8357E40D3955831582B94B3AE.jpg

Jump

D379B54C824E4A40AC15D264BA41793B-0000315935-0002880758-00800L-C8731A4F424F46CCB317AFB44E2E6388.jpg

Mjollnir - maybe I'm just a little less confident than I appear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Nice. Camera used?

LOL!

The quality of those last three are just as good if not better than the first three. You're killing me!

If anyone at that shindig has anything better than what you've shown us, the drinks are on me next time you're in Hollywood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

Amazing photos. It's really hard to get good photography of dogs and you've nailed it. Such a lovable creature you have there, and the photos you've shown are worthy of any competition

Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭maddog

The first shot is pure quality;);) Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I love no. 5, the composition and position of the dogs really stands out for me. With the other ones, althought they're great shots i've kinda seen it all before. 5 stood out for me as it's a bit quirky and original.

Renn wrote: »
    Nice. Camera used?

Nikon D7000. Click through on any of the photos and then click on "more properties" on the left of the screen and it will give you all the info on each shot.

Guys, thanks for all of the feedback. I've decided to go with the original 6 - they're printed now so no going back!

Mjollnir, you might end up paying for those drinks :-). The standard in Irish camera clubs is very high - Ireland has recently won the overall FIAP (International Federation of Photographic Art) colour biennial. This is Ireland’s second major win this year, having already taken the top prize in the FIAP black and white biennial earlier this year.

And the panel competition is open to all grades in the club - Novice, Intermediate (me) and Advanced.

So I have a long way to go - but the journey is fun :-)

Guys, thanks for all of the feedback. I've decided to go with the original 6 - they're printed now so no going back!

Mjollnir, you might end up paying for those drinks :-). The standard in Irish camera clubs is very high - Ireland has recently won the overall FIAP (International Federation of Photographic Art) colour biennial. This is Ireland’s second major win this year, having already taken the top prize in the FIAP black and white biennial earlier this year.

And the panel competition is open to all grades in the club - Novice, Intermediate (me) and Advanced.

So I have a long way to go - but the journey is fun :-)

** chuckling under my breath **

Since the last time I had some Irish friends come through here (they're from Donegal) I had to take out a 4th mortgage on my second house for a bar tab, and I STILL get Christmas cards from a Mr. Daniels of the state of Tennessee.

Lovely man, always makes sure to send social lubricant in a unit of industrial measure around the fourth of July and Thanksgiving.

You shoot above and beyond well. Be less modest.

Assert yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

They're obviously technically really competent both in being taken and in the processing so the following is offered being *really* pedantic (and quite possibly incorrect ;)) ;

#1, very nice. depth of field well controlled. i think there's a sharpness issue - the nose is more pronounced - that isn't quite as evident on the eye. Odd as they are on an almost identical plane. This is probably as there is texture to the nose. When viewed at full size it kinda looks as if the sharpness is 95+% there but a stop short of being perfect.

Love the black and white and whatever burning (assuming you used some) is I think very appropriate to the image.

#2 is great as an image - the reflection thing going on and very well taken. My only issue of which you didn't have control is the tongue which for me drops a fantastic image back to being a good image. I would have thought perhaps if shooting this with specific intent that a couple of seconds later may have gotten a better composition. That may be me - others might get it. It might be capturing the spirit of the dog/animal.

#3 Again, technically really good. Is it a little oversharpened to compensate for depth of field imperfection or being slightly off? That may be completely off the mark but here the outsider view of it - either how it was shot or how it was processed is leaving him/her a little fake looking - more like a toy dog, made in china type. Obviously its not and hasn't gone completely there but does kinda look a little unnatural (this, also when compared to the other shots - perhaps in isolation I wouldn't have noticed?).

#4 Technically I like it and theres some nice sharpness in there and stop motion. Don't know that the overall composition makes for a great picture (as opposed to a great memory). But like the others - very well taken and really nice black and white conversion. I think some extra context might be useful - does it need to be as close? maybe not. which is why I think if it had a little more context (about 10-15% more) it would be more appealing.

#5 - Nice work (again!). First quarter of the image (left hand side). Something unbalanced in the tones comparatively to the rest of the image. I don't think the grass grew quite like that (although I wasn't there so maybe it did). It is the fun shot and though I asked myself would it be better losing the fella having a shake in the background, I don't think it would.

#6 love the noise and the contrast. It makes for that little bit more edgy a shot which I'm guessing given the title you were trying to achieve.

Overall - A great set imho, To pick one, i'd go with the first one. Really like that one.

Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Adrian.Sadlier
    You really don't need any contructive cristisim one of the shots int he first set I didn't really get.. Which was number 4, other then that there all. Really nice great detail sharp and some one said none of them were that fun but being honest judging how your framing the pics your having fun :) which really is the main thing :D

Advertisement