Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginning modelling. Nervous, help!

• 12-06-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭

I've uploaded some photographs to an alternative modelling website and a photographer has been in touch about taking pictures. He's suggested two kinds of 'shoots' (in a castle and in a studio). I've no idea what pertinent questions I should be asking of him, as I've *never* modelled before! I'm a little bit wary too!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Any advice I've seem over the years in magazines is only go through an agency. This photographer will own the copyright of the photos and you have no idea how he/she will use them. If you really want to be a model do it properly and try to get an agency to take you on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Sort out details before - what will he be using the pictures for, will you be able to use them for your portfolio, is there any payment, what do you need to bring, what time to start and finish, where exactly will you be going. As with meeting anyone from the Internet in person, I would strongly recommend you bring a friend with you, or at the very least pass on all the info onto someone and keep in contact with them during the day.

As mood said though, definitely consider going through a proper agency to try get work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭FullblownRose

Thanks. A bit of common sense goes a long way I suppose. The online agency is reputable a.f.a.i.k, I recognise some well known alt. models on the site. The difficulty is finding a 'real life' agency who accept alt. models. Thanks again! x

Thanks. A bit of common sense goes a long way I suppose. The online agency is reputable a.f.a.i.k, I recognise some well known alt. models on the site. The difficulty is finding a 'real life' agency who accept alt. models. Thanks again! x

But that doesn't mean those models are with that agency. They could easily have copied the photo form any site. I'm not involved in the fashion industry but I have never hear of a online modeling agency. Sounds dodgy to me. Why not just visit the model agencies in Dublin? If they want to take you on they won't waste any time.

Yes, that is a (disturbing) possibilty :(
    There isn't much demand for gothic type models in Ireland, that's why I dismissed the other agencies. Still, might be worth reconsidering...

• Advertisement

Yes, that is a (disturbing) possibilty :(
    There isn't much demand for gothic type models in Ireland, that's why I dismissed the other agencies. Still, might be worth reconsidering...

What do you mean by gothic type models? If you have a modeling job you are styled according to how the clients wants you to look. You may not like what you have to wear etc but it's part of the job.

True, but bearing in mind that I have very long black hair, extremely pale skin (this in particular isn't fashionable and people generally don't want to see it) and green eyes I'm not going to be very much in demand, i.m.o, however I might be styled. I would prefer to model what suits me too.

True, but bearing in mind that I have very long black hair, extremely pale skin (this in particular isn't fashionable and people generally don't want to see it) and green eyes I'm not going to be very much in demand, i.m.o, however I might be styled. I would prefer to model what suits me too.

If you have ever watched a modeling program you will know that skin colour etc doesn't matter at all. You look sound really nice and unique and from the program I watched you look would be in demand. I think you are making assumptions and bout the industry without really understanding it. And like I said as a model you won't get to choose how you are styled etc. If you don't like the thought of having to be photographed in clothes you don't like etc then modeling is not for you.

I think Boards.ie may have a modeling thread. You should try to find it.

I'd actually never thought about modelling clothes I don't like. I know a few alt. models through Facebook and they are doing very well in this kind of thing, but then, that's England. Hmm! :D You are quite right there. Will look for the thread, I searched under Modelling and a couple of other peoples' old post came up in this forum. :S
    I'm Not very good at this at all haha.

I'd actually never thought about modelling clothes I don't like. I know a few alt. models through Facebook and they are doing very well in this kind of thing, but then, that's England. Hmm! :D You are quite right there. Will look for the thread, I searched under Modelling and a couple of other peoples' old post came up in this forum. :S
    I'm Not very good at this at all haha.

Just make appointment with the modeling agencies in Dublin. Surely it's the best way to know if you have the potential you think you do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Alt Modeling a whole league of its own, and you probably wouldn't have a lot of work with a standard agency if you're aiming for that look. Can I guess that the site you're using is Model Mayhem? If so just be really careful and think of it as meeting anyone off the internet, trust your gut and take the necessary precautions that we've mentioned.

Are you offering your service as a fashion model (commercial, fashion, beauty) or as a photographic "subject" as it were? If the latter, you're probably going to get most interest on MM. However, standard model agencies to need a bank of people for commercial jobs/photo ops, not just the typical "model" look, so it might be worth getting in contact anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

No advice as I know nothing about the industry but it sounds really exciting, I wish you luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭poozers

i also have no experience in the modelling industry, but i agree with others here, it sounds fairly dodgy. could be totally wrong, but you just hear these horror stories about "photographers" taking pictures of models and awful things happening!!

i know its alt. modelling you want to get into, but you have to start somewhere, establish your self and your modelling capabilities first, and then you can choose your own route. going from modelling shows ive seen, a model is a very cut-throat business.

are there any local photography studios in your area that you could maybe do some kind of deal with, like a portfolio for you and publicity for them? like, when you become a successful model, they will be the ones who discovered you kind of thing.

i think your better off to start with someone you have met in person, know a bit about their backgroud (see if you can find newspaper articles about their business, etc). maybe someone with an office or their own studio.

best of luck tho. you sound like you have a very unique look, and if you have faith in that, then you will succeed. ;)

Ah, thanks very much for the new perspectives and supportive comments! I know a damn good photographer who's offered to help with a professional-looking portfolio, and then I'll go from there. I doubt I'm 'pretty' enough for conventional agencies but I never thought that they might want the odd unusual looking model for certain projects, I feel more encouraged to go and try that out too. I've recieved offers of work but I'll hold off on them for now due to the unknown nature of internet agencie. Most girls bring a chaperone and I can't always do that. Thanks a mill everyone x

Advertisement