Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduating at 23

Options
  • 13-06-2012 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm doing a 4 years science degree (Physics) in UCD. I didn't pass all the exams (personal reasons, not necessarily slaking) in 3rd year so I'll have to take a year out to repeat them. So this means that I'll be 23 by the time I finished my degree in 2014. The degree GPA only counts in the final year and 1st, 2nd or 3rd year don't count towards my degree.

I'm just wondering what a potential employer's opinion would be if they saw that I graduated late at 23 instead of 21 or 22 like most graduates. Would it be looked down upon on a CV?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I graduated at 22, nearly hitting 23 having done my basic 4 year degree straight out of school without failing. I would count that young graduating from college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Pedant wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm doing a 4 years science degree (Physics) in UCD. I didn't pass all the exams (personal reasons, not necessarily slaking) in 3rd year so I'll have to take a year out to repeat them. So this means that I'll be 23 by the time I finished my degree in 2014. The degree GPA only counts in the final year and 1st, 2nd or 3rd year don't count towards my degree.

I'm just wondering what a potential employer's opinion would be if they saw that I graduated late at 23 instead of 21 or 22 like most graduates. Would it be looked down upon on a CV?

I know what you mean, I graduated at 23 - went the cert, ord degree, hons degree route, and took a year out along the way. To be honest, no employer since has had any issue, but its an issue with me. Less so as time goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rafaella

OP people of all ages are graduating. 23 is still very young. I would highly doubt any employer would care in the slightest. In my college course the graduates will range in age from 21 to 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

you are worried about a year at least your in the twenties.................I'm in my forties do you think I be questioned by employers if I make it to interview..........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Im 35 and going into 4th year, being 36 when i finish has hardly even crossed my mind. I am even considering doing a masters, so ill be 37 by the time i am ready to reenter the workforce.

You have nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement