Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finasteride/ Proscar for treating hair loss - cost and obtaining

Options
  • 13-06-2012 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm a 31 year old guy and over the past couple of years the dreaded male pattern baldness has being progressively kicking in, in particular around my temples and my hair has thinned out at the front of my head considerably. Its not actually too bad elsewhere...some thinning at the crown of my head but nothing too major.

Overall the hair loss and thinning has gotten noticeably worse over the past few months and is causing me considerable anxiety. Within the past few days I have started using Regaine but am not expecting any massive improvement with Regaine alone, in particular as I have learned that it works best in the crown area and results are seldom dramatic at the front or temples for most users. For this reason I have decided I will also start using Finasteride/ Proscar.

I'm not seeking medical advice here as I have researched the possible side effects of using the products and as its against the forum charter rules in any event.

What I would like to find out of users or people in the know is firstly would a GP generally readily perscibe either drug for male pattern baldness?

Also, if somebody could advise me on the approximate cost of the drugs in the Republic of Ireland. My understanding is that Proscar is essentially 5 mg finasteride and can be cut into 4/5 parts, each part being approximate to one finasteride tablet in terms of dosage....As such I believe Proscar works out to be consideraby more affordable than Finasteride. If somebody could give me an indication of the cost of these medications I would be most grateful.

Many thanks in advance for all constructive replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,795 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

A visit to your local GP might be the best place to start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement