Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/worst middle 8s/sections in songs

• 13-06-2012 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

Imo GnR's You Could be Mine has a very stock/formulaic middle 8 in terms of the chord progressions, however the middle 8 to Turbo Lover by Judas Priest is better than the rest of the song. Opeth have a lot of eye opening segments in songs that are otherwise good but not amazing. For example the live version of By the Night and Silent Water has this awe inspiring segment which sounds like music to a medieval scene with a Spanish castle on a cliff face. It starts at 5.00 in the studio version though it has nothing on the live performance which defines magisterial.

Similarly Gojira have incredible moments in their song, the opening section to The Art of Dying is hair raising and the end part is also great although the bits in the middle are pedestrian imo.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"Middle 8" can include anything that breaks up the verse/chorus/verse/chorus pattern, including solos, but there are already enough threads on solos, so I'm going to interpret it to mean a bridge or other digression. I like what happens in Iron Maiden's 2 Minutes To Midnight, the little breakdown after the solo, at about 3:30 in this video:

A more recent favourite of mine is the "orchestral" break from 3:25 in King Crimson's Dinosaur (from 1995's Thrak). A moment of calm before the storm, you might say:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement