Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange insect from wicklow

• 13-06-2012 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭

Hey lads and lassies,
    I was camping in Co. Wicklow over the weekend and I found this very strange insect by a stream. The insect looked like a round berry of some sort when I first observed it and so I picked it up to examine it. I then realised it might be an insect so I lay it back on the ground and watched until it moved. Upon disturbing it, the insect rolled up again. It was dark or black with yellowish stripes on its back. It was approximately half an inch long and had a shell similar to a woodlouse by the looks of things. I didn't want to kill it so I didn't examine it very thoroughly but I took this video. Can anyone tell me what it is?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUYrKH8YEd8&feature=plcp

Thanks,
    Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

I'm guessing it's the same family as the woodlouse and i'm more interested in finding out what exactly they are and how common they are in Ireland.

Thanks again,
    Eoin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

It is a woodlouse of which there are a few kinds. It is in all probability one of the common species
    They are not insects which have 6 legs but a crustacean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Looks like a pillbug, a type of woodlouse indeed. Wasn't aware they were native to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Though it's out of focus from the banding I think it is a Pill millipede (Glomeris marginata) they are common throughout Ireland.

The Pillbug is more common in the South than the North of the country but is found throughout Ireland.

Image from Wikipedia for comparison op maybe you can say which it was.
    553px-Armidillidium.vs.glomeris.jpg

Advertisement