Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Dream Team Documentary - NBA TV

• 13-06-2012 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

This premieres tomorrow night. It looks brilliant. Can't wait to watch it. Description here:
    A new documentary commemorating the 20-year anniversary of the Olympic gold medalists has the footage to prove it. The video shot at the time so coaches could analyze practice will now be televised to the world.

"The Dream Team" premieres Wednesday night on NBA TV, chronicling the future Hall of Famers — led by Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson and Larry Bird — who became the first NBA players to compete at the Olympics at the 1992 Barcelona Games. All 12 members sat down for fresh interviews.

NBA Entertainment cameras followed around the team during the Olympics, and some of that footage aired in various forms then. This is the first time all the behind-the-scenes moments have been shown together in one place.

"A lot of these things, we all kind of heard these stories," executive producer Dion Cocoros said. "'Hey, I heard they lost to the select team. Did they really have these intense practices?' To show it takes it to the next level. A lot of this has been discussed for 20 years but never seen."

The players participated in individual interviews from September through March. Each seemed to add a new anecdote or observation that the next Dream Teamer was asked about.

"It really sparked almost like a memory in them when we'd mention something they hadn't thought of in a while," Cocoros said.

In the 90-minute film, Jordan recalls his initial reluctance to commit to the team, signing on only after hearing that so many of his fellow superstars were on board. There's footage of the Dream Teamers going at each other in practice with the vigor of a playoff game.

Off the court, the players reminisce about all the topless bathers when they trained in Monte Carlo. Another clip shows John Stockton, camcorder on his shoulder, walking around Barcelona with his family and trying — unsuccessfully — to get fans to recognize him.

As far as that one loss, Mike Krzyzewski, a Dream Team assistant, insists in the film that coach Chuck Daly "threw" the scrimmage as a lesson to his players during pre-Olympic preparations in San Diego by not making adjustments and using Michael Jordan very little.

Still, it would seem any combination of five of the future Hall of Famers should have been able to defeat the college kids without any strategizing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 marknak8

Is it on the NBA TV live stream? Cant find it on the tv schedule. cant wait to see it!
    http://www.nba.tv/nbatv/live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Check your listings Paully - I'm pretty sure it starts tonight so it doesn't clash with a game

First link when googling - http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/06/13/dream-team-documentary-film-
    For years, the 1992 men’s Olympic basketball team — the Dream Team, the greatest collection of basketball talent, and maybe overall sporting talent, to wear the same uniform — has spawned all sorts of urban legends. Stories about intense scrimmages. Stories about Michael and Magic playing horse and sizing each other up. Stories about a loss to college kids.

Now there’s footage to back it all up. Dion Cocoros, one of the executive producers of “The Dream Team,” the excellent new documentary that premieres tonight on NBA TV, helped dig up that footage. In an interview with Keeping Score, Cocoros talks about how he got all 12 Dream Team members to sit down for interviews, why Isiah Thomas, the most prominent player left off the team, didn’t want to talk, and how the NBA would be different without the Dream Team.

Read more: http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2012/06/13/dream-team-documentary-film-sheds-light-on-92-olympic-legends/#ixzz1xgIxM0Pm
    sheds-light-on-92-olympic-legends/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sorry Top Dog, you're right. Although I did post at 3am I meant tomorrow as today (Wednesday) because I hadn't slept yet :pac:

http://www.nba.com/nbatv/schedule/

9pm ET it starts, so 2am over here. It'll be repeated over and over again though and will surely be uploaded on other sites so it should be pretty easy to get to view it, even if you don't have NBA TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

Nice one I didn't realise thsi was on last night. On NBA.com there saying this Friday at 10.30.. I'll certainly give it a watch, it's been a while since they released a good basketball documentary

• Advertisement

removed and it also aint showing up as a past show on league pass :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Great doc.

My favourite bit was John Stockton walking downtown on his own and nobody recognising him. :)

This is working for me:

They won't stay up for long lads, but if you type the name of the documentary into google, click videos, then click ''long 20 minutes +'' you'll find a working link.

Paully D wrote: »
    This is working for me:

They won't stay up for long lads, but if you type the name of the documentary into google, click videos, then click ''long 20 minutes +'' you'll find a working link.

Cheers I'll try that tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Love Charles Barkley, so many brilliant quotes. He made the documentary for me.

Mike Ican'tspellhislastname (the assistant coach) was really annoying, especially talking about how Chuck Daly threw the game.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Just downloaded it there. Cheers Paully. Gonna give it a watch tomorrow sometime before Game 3.

Great documentary.

Im surprised Stockton's camera didn't get robbed on Las Ramblas. Ive never seen so many pickpocketers in my life than on that 1 street when I was in Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

When I was a kid I used to watch a VHS my older brother had about the Dream Team, so I actually knew quite a bit about them going into this, but while that was more biographies of the players, the behind the scenes footage in this was absolutely incredible.

My favourite parts were the 2 games against the College teams which featured Chris Webber, and John Stockton walking off the bus to sightsee and nobody recognised him!

Absolutely brilliant documentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Watched it over the weekend, really good. I thought it would just be the story told again from the outside, but it gave a good insight to what it was like from the players' point of view.

One thing that surprised me a bit was how much the players seemed to get out of it, for different reasons (thought with all they'd achieved, it would be something of a chore to do in their off-season). Jordan wanting to play with and against Magic again, and for competitive reasons rather than sentimental reasons. Bird and Magic playing together again (think they did at one time in their college days). Bird talking about how his father was a fan of the Olympics, and would've been proud to see him getting the gold medal. Barkley saying how the gold medal helped make up for him not winning an NBA championship.

Another thing I liked was how ultra-competitive they were against each other, even within the squad, but you could see they still had great respect for each other. I love that quote from Bird (although it was said outside of the Dream Team context, they showed it in the doc) "Magic's just a great basketball player. He's the best I've ever seen."

padraig_f wrote: »
    Watched it over the weekend, really good. I thought it would just be the story told again from the outside, but it gave a good insight to what it was like from the players' point of view.

One thing that surprised me a bit was how much the players seemed to get out of it, for different reasons (thought with all they'd achieved, it would be something of a chore to do in their off-season). Jordan wanting to play with and against Magic again, and for competitive reasons rather than sentimental reasons. Bird and Magic playing together again (think they did at one time in their college days). Bird talking about how his father was a fan of the Olympics, and would've been proud to see him getting the gold medal. Barkley saying how the gold medal helped make up for him not winning an NBA championship.

Another thing I liked was how ultra-competitive they were against each other, even within the squad, but you could see they still had great respect for each other. I love that quote from Bird (although it was said outside of the Dream Team context, they showed it in the doc) "Magic's just a great basketball player. He's the best I've ever seen."

Loved the part when after they had their scrimmage that got ultra competitive, Jordan walked into the room where Magic and Bird where and said ''there's a new sheriff in town'' and then Magic and Bird started laughing to each other thinking ''you're right''.

Here's the exact quote:

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/08/magic_johnson_spares_no_one_in.html

''And I remember Michael Jordan sitting there and telling us. He was sitting there and he took a puff of his cigar and he said Larry and Magic, you’ve had your run. But there’s a new sheriff in town.”

:pac:

Advertisement