Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appalling driving...

Options
  • 13-06-2012 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

I trade at the market at Sneem each Tuesday, and then enjoy the drive to Killarney through Moll's Gap and then the lakes.

Yesterday saw seriously dangerous driving.

Ok so we were stuck behind a tour bus; but it was one where they had bought from us. Just takes a little patience is all.

Car behind me, right on my tail and I was next behind the bus, keeping my distance and with no ambition to pass on the lake road.

He pulls out on a bend and passes me.

Then he starts trying to pass the coach, on the bends. By now I have dropped right back and am crawling along.

Tries once and hits the ditch/edge on the right and a car comes round the bend so he drops in again.

By now I am praying aloud for his safety and the safety of the coach.

He pulls out again on a bend and just gets past and in; the car coming towards them a visitor car and they are gazing at the scenery and going slow. Else?

Then a crowd of motor bikes roars up behind, me headlights full on, far too close to me.. So at the first possible place I pull off the road to let them pass, and watch, horrified, as they try to pass the bus on the bends.

Is it worth the risk to life, especially the lives of others, to save a few minutes?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you believe that it was dangerous and got a reg then call Garda Trafficwatch on 1890205805 but be prepared to make a formal statement if you wish it to go further.

Sounds bad. There is no excuse for dangerous driving.

On the other hand, it can be a frustrating journey. I think they should put signs up at various places along the Ring of Kerry reminding people to keep an eye in their rear view and where appropriate to pull in at lay bys to let traffic overtake. I have had near apoplexy with fellows cruising along at 15 miles an hour as they haul some caravan or boat down to South Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

kbannon wrote: »
    If you believe that it was dangerous and got a reg then call Garda Trafficwatch on 1890205805 but be prepared to make a formal statement if you wish it to go further.

I did not think of this until much later... Wish I had done. My heart was in my mouth. Thank God it did not end in tragedy.

Sounds bad. There is no excuse for dangerous driving.

On the other hand, it can be a frustrating journey. I think they should put signs up at various places along the Ring of Kerry reminding people to keep an eye in their rear view and where appropriate to pull in at lay bys to let traffic overtake. I have had near apoplexy with fellows cruising along at 15 miles an hour as they haul some caravan or boat down to South Kerry.

I know, but patience and safety. A few weeks ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you and I frequently pull in myself to let traffic pass.. love it when they flash a thank you with their lights!

Signs would ruin the place, but many of the slow ones are in hire cars so the hire car companies could do something.

And gee! What is a few minutes extra? If I get behing someone really slow I just pull off and rest a wee while in that awesome scenery. No need for your kind of stress surely. Many are simply enjoying the scenery and the holiday. I have met some amazing folk when I pull in to wait.

Later we all got stuck near Muckross behind a jaunting car.. it is summer after all!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Graces7 wrote: »
    And gee! What is a few minutes extra? If I get behing someone really slow I just pull off and rest a wee while in that awesome scenery. No need for your kind of stress surely. Many are simply enjoying the scenery and the holiday. I have met some amazing folk when I pull in to wait.

I really wish people would tell this to the slow inconsiderate drivers who never think to pull in and let people pass. I've been stuck behind buses and campervans for miles in second gear on occasions in the past despite passing by scores of laybys. If I wanted to take two hours to travel 50km while gaping out the window at the scenery, I would have taken the bicycle.

• Advertisement

Um, when driving to get to a train, heading for a dental or medical appointment, work reasons, a sporting fixture, to drop something off somewhere...to any one of the hundreds of things that get people of South Kerry on the road with some deadline to meet with someone who will not take a "well I pulled in to have a rest and enjoy the scenery"...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭rob180

Inconsiderate slow drivers does my head in. Thank god i drive a hot hatch, so overtaking a line of cars is no problem for me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

rob180 wrote: »
    Inconsiderate slow drivers does my head in. Thank god i drive a hot hatch, so overtaking a line of cars is no problem for me. :D

Some drivers think it great fun to accelerate when you do that, and close the gap between their car and the one in front, leaving you on the wrong side of the road unable to get back in again. I call this "attempted murder".:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I know, but patience and safety. A few weeks ago I would have agreed wholeheartedly with you and I frequently pull in myself to let traffic pass.. love it when they flash a thank you with their lights!

Signs would ruin the place, but many of the slow ones are in hire cars so the hire car companies could do something.

Later we all got stuck near Muckross behind a jaunting car.. it is summer after all!

And then another slow inconsiderate driver passes you just as you take to the road again and the cycle continues. I'm not excusing dangerous driving but slow drivers are causing these dangerous situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

And then another slow inconsiderate driver passes you just as you take to the road again and the cycle continues. I'm not excusing dangerous driving but slow drivers are the cause of these dangerous situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 iceinkerry

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Some drivers think it great fun to accelerate when you do that, and close the gap between their car and the one in front, leaving you on the wrong side of the road unable to get back in again. I call this "attempted murder".:(

I dont know about that. I think if you want to pass out a line of traffic you should only do so when it is safe to do so. If a car leaves a safe gap between it and the car in front then thats not really fair game to try and fit back into.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I drive my ordinary road car at 60mph and will rarely get anyone attempt to overtake.
    I drive any of my classic cars at 60 or even 70 and the amount of people that will try and over take is incredible.
    People see an old car and automatically think it will hold them up on the road.

Yep, very often its the second driver that screws everything up by not leaving that gap that enables those behind to overtake and pull in should the need arise. Or worse still, the example you cite, accelerating to deliberately close the gap.

Um, when driving to get to a train, heading for a dental or medical appointment, work reasons, a sporting fixture, to drop something off somewhere...to any one of the hundreds of things that get people of South Kerry on the road with some deadline to meet with someone who will not take a "well I pulled in to have a rest and enjoy the scenery"...;)

But you know that holiday traffic will cause delays... And need to be realistic and allow for this. I have no sympathy!

And you should enjoy the scenery; utter glory.

And then another slow inconsiderate driver passes you just as you take to the road again and the cycle continues. I'm not excusing dangerous driving but slow drivers are the cause of these dangerous situations.

Not... the fault lies with impatient and show off drivers. Used to be a book called "Don't sweat the small stuff.."

As I said, a few weeks ago I felt differently. Then I decided I would rather allow for delays and not get all worked up as I had been doing. And I enjoy all but the idiots who think speed is all.

All of us except that car driver were behaving sensibly and carefully. It is always the responsibility of the driver behind.

Driving defensively is what prevents accidents. I have been driving nearly 50 years and never an accident.

And life is too short to get worked up over these issues.

I drive my ordinary road car at 60mph and will rarely get anyone attempt to overtake.
    I drive any of my classic cars at 60 or even 70 and the amount of people that will try and over take is incredible.
    People see an old car and automatically think it will hold them up on the road.

You drive at that speed on this particular road?:rolleyes:

rob180 wrote: »

On that road?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not... the fault lies with impatient and show off drivers. Used to be a book called "Don't sweat the small stuff.."

As I said, a few weeks ago I felt differently. Then I decided I would rather allow for delays and not get all worked up as I had been doing. And I enjoy all but the idiots who think speed is all.

All of us except that car driver were behaving sensibly and carefully. It is always the responsibility of the driver behind.

Driving defensively is what prevents accidents. I have been driving nearly 50 years and never an accident.

And life is too short to get worked up over these issues.

Why not just stay at home altogether and then you'd never have to worry about getting anywhere. Just because you've nothing to do with your days except stand on the side of the road doesn't mean everyone else's time is unimportant. Roads are for getting to where you want to go in a reasonable period of time. Not for trundling along gawking at the scenery. Go for a walk in the woods if that's your thing. Or else pull in to let traffic pass. It's all about showing consideration to people, not wallowing in self-satisfaction and causing frustration to other users.

But you know that holiday traffic will cause delays... And need to be realistic and allow for this. I have no sympathy!

And you should enjoy the scenery; utter glory.

It depends. I mean, if someone is on their way to a hospital for an appointment, or trying to catch a train to a business meeting, they may not simply be in the frame of mind to lounge around and enjoy the scenery. That logic could be applied to anyone anywhere - stuck in a traffic jam in Dublin city centre, feast your eyes on the GPO and the Four Courts and think of Pearse and all that history.

I would rather drive these roads than any other. But that does not mean that, for many locals driving the road, particularly during work hours, ambling along and smelling the roses is really an option. Most people know when busses are on the road, so it should be no surprise and that can be factored in before one leaves. But sometimes you still see bad slow driving that holds everyone up and is just head in hands stuff eg. a person should not be taking a boat through the Ring of Kerry during busy day time traffic, not pull in anywhere, expect to hold up everyone else and tell them they can lump it and enjoy the scenery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

In the space of less than 5 mins this morning I had
    1. A car pull over on a double yellow hazards on, blocking the entrance/exit to a junction (in front of the huddle bar)
    2. A car stop to let pedestrains across 10 feet after a pedestrian crossing
    3. A pedestrian dart from between parked cars across the road in front of me
    4. A car shoot out of a car park only to screech to a halt 7 feet away from me

The rules of the road mean nothing as soon as you cross the border into Kerry, good luck to you going through the roundabout by Barrys in your lane without getting nailed. Indicators are an option, not a requirement. Yellow hatched boxes means you can stop at your convenience and your hazards make you invisible

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

In the space of less than 5 mins this morning I had
    1. A car pull over on a double yellow hazards on, blocking the entrance/exit to a junction (in front of the huddle bar)
    2. A car stop to let pedestrains across 10 feet after a pedestrian crossing
    3. A pedestrian dart from between parked cars across the road in front of me
    4. A car shoot out of a car park only to screech to a halt 7 feet away from me

The rules of the road mean nothing as soon as you cross the border into Kerry, good luck to you going through the roundabout by Barrys in your lane without getting nailed. Indicators are an option, not a requirement. Yellow hatched boxes means you can stop at your convenience and your hazards make you invisible

driving onto a roundabout and blocking the lanes who have the right of way...or stopping in yellow box & blocking entrance/exit....does my head in! Seems like both these things are alien to people in Tralee. Oh and the indicators, my god why bother having them in the car!! Oh one more thing, people check your lights are working on your car. I've seen way too many cars driving around with a front light gone...even just one main light working which is so dangerous! This week I've been behind at least 3 cars with only one break light working! I know it can happen without you realising, even if you have just checked, but the front ones you have to notice!! ok rant over lol

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Maybe they should make the 100km/hr signs a minimum speed - for some. ;)

Maybe they should make the 100km/hr signs a minimum speed - for some. ;)

Old fellas with big ears and flat caps for starters.

Old fellas with big ears and flat caps for starters.

100 km/hr is insane on that road. 70 max, which is what it was before some bright spark decided it was time to put new signs up along the Kerry roads.
    Anticipate there can be delays on the road for whatever reason, drive well (speed doesn't necessary equal good driving) and enjoy the ride. You'll feel more relaxed that way.;)

100 km/hr is insane on that road. 70 max, which is what it was before some bright spark decided it was time to put new signs up along the Kerry roads.
    Anticipate there can be delays on the road for whatever reason, drive well (speed doesn't necessary equal good driving) and enjoy the ride. You'll feel more relaxed that way.;)

What's that got to do with big-eared flat-capped old fellas?:confused:

What's that got to do with big-eared flat-capped old fellas?:confused:

Absolutely nothing :D

Everyone set off earlier and chill out is of course correct advice for any driver in any area, but it would be as valid in Kerry as it is for anyone in a commuter belt. I still think the drivers should also be warned to have a bit of consideration for local drivers too. Just like people in cities, we have businesses to run. Just like people in cities, we need to make ends meet. Just like people in cities, we have stress levels.

Another one that annoys me is the person who stops in the road to take photos. In every other country, you would be expected to pull in. I know tourism is very important, so one tries to be considerate and generous of spirit, and they may be driving on what for them is the "wrong" side. So if I can see the road ahead and overtake it's not an issue. But sometimes they stop on narrow roads on bends with single white lines and I just wonder how that driving would be viewed in their country of origin, if I stopped at the Arc de Triomphe or the Spanish Steps and simply left the traffic build up while I take snaps.

Everyone set off earlier and chill out is of course correct advice for any driver in any area, but it would be as valid in Kerry as it is for anyone in a commuter belt. I still think the drivers should also be warned to have a bit of consideration for local drivers too. Just like people in cities, we have businesses to run. Just like people in cities, we need to make ends meet. Just like people in cities, we have stress levels.

Another one that annoys me is the person who stops in the road to take photos. In every other country, you would be expected to pull in. I know tourism is very important, so one tries to be considerate and generous of spirit, and they may be driving on what for them is the "wrong" side. So if I can see the road ahead and overtake it's not an issue. But sometimes they stop on narrow roads on bends with single white lines and I just wonder how that driving would be viewed in their country of origin, if I stopped at the Arc de Triomphe or the Spanish Steps and simply left the traffic build up while I take snaps.

I agree with everything you say and you have worded it perfectly. Unfortunately, until people 'in general' will be more considerate of others, there is nothing anyone can do. Except anticipate, anticipate, anticipate.
    One could of course also make rude gestures to tourists, that'll teach them.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I love these driving rants. People that annoy the hell out of me:
    1. Brakers - I don't generally mind people driving slow but the ones who drive slowly and brake at everything have me crawling up the walls. They brake for oncoming cars on a wide straight road, brake at every bend despite the fact that they're only doing 40mph, brake at a gust of wind. This usually causes an accordian effect with a string of cars behind them slapping on their brakes on instinct when they see the brake lights ahead of them.

2. Tailgaters - If you're not going to overtake me, back the fup off.

3. People who don't indicate or indicate randomly on roundabouts - As far as I can tell this incorporates every Irish person bar myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭jd

When driving Route 1 (LA-SF) one thing I noticed was plenty was plenty of Turnouts. If you are holding up other traffic you MUST use them :) . You won't get very far with "AH sure I was admiring the scenery" if the cops pull you over.

Advertisement