Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appalling driving...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Stark wrote: »
    Why not just stay at home altogether and then you'd never have to worry about getting anywhere. Just because you've nothing to do with your days except stand on the side of the road doesn't mean everyone else's time is unimportant. Roads are for getting to where you want to go in a reasonable period of time. Not for trundling along gawking at the scenery. Go for a walk in the woods if that's your thing. Or else pull in to let traffic pass. It's all about showing consideration to people, not wallowing in self-satisfaction and causing frustration to other users.

:rolleyes:

Nasty temper tantrum.. So rude.

And so inaccurate too. Ah well...

I agree with everything you say and you have worded it perfectly. Unfortunately, until people 'in general' will be more considerate of others, there is nothing anyone can do. Except anticipate, anticipate, anticipate.
    One could of course also make rude gestures to tourists, that'll teach them.:p

Teach them what though?

It depends. I mean, if someone is on their way to a hospital for an appointment, or trying to catch a train to a business meeting, they may not simply be in the frame of mind to lounge around and enjoy the scenery. That logic could be applied to anyone anywhere - stuck in a traffic jam in Dublin city centre, feast your eyes on the GPO and the Four Courts and think of Pearse and all that history.

I would rather drive these roads than any other. But that does not mean that, for many locals driving the road, particularly during work hours, ambling along and smelling the roses is really an option. Most people know when busses are on the road, so it should be no surprise and that can be factored in before one leaves. But sometimes you still see bad slow driving that holds everyone up and is just head in hands stuff eg. a person should not be taking a boat through the Ring of Kerry during busy day time traffic, not pull in anywhere, expect to hold up everyone else and tell them they can lump it and enjoy the scenery.

Small point to some of the rants...

When I am driving home from Sneem, it is around 6 pm by the time I reach Killarney. I have been up since 4 am and on the road since 5 am. I am not young and I live in almost constant pain and I trade to support the homeless.

Sure I could stay home and twiddle my thiumbs but that would not help anyone. And I intend to use whatver small time I still have to work for those who have nothing, and certainly not a car or fair and fine places to drive through.

My choice to live thus.

The first time I got stuck behind a tourist car whose speed varied wildly which is exhausting to follow, I reacted as you do. Then I stopped reacting and started living.

And became considerate of those who spend a lot of their money to come to Ireland. Who love the country and enjoy their time here so much. From US cities where there is no beauty. And I stopped being impatient and started caring about them. I chat with them at the stall.

We have so much here.

I enjoy the trading and I enjoy the people.

WHile I would dearly like a faster journey - I drive nearly 70 miles each way - I must thank all of the harsh and impatient posters here for teaching me that my way is far more enjoyable than theirs. I left the rat race years ago and feel so sorry for the snarlers here..

Last week we all got stuck behind a jaunting car; the road is for him too as for the slow drivers, the happy snappers, the stop=starters.

The man taking his boat pays his road tax same as you and I.

Oh and I did not say lump it ! I suggested adapting to what is and stop railing againts what cannot be changed. OK if you enjoy high blood pressure! It was apositive and comstructive suggestion. Because nothing will change the drivers after all. They are as they are at this season.

The roads are not the sole province of the speedsters and impatient ones.

Or the locals only.

So much sheer intolerance here.

If you can do that drive and see none of the beauty then something is missing somewhere.

Before that I pulled off as I needed coffee; met a whole coach load of young Americans who loved the drive whose enthusiasm was a wonderful thing.

So thank you all for increasing my patience and my appreciation of Kerry and of all who come here. I think of you whenever I get stuck behind someone now.

Like thr tractor trailer for ten miles near here.

And I think I get more from the drive than all the impatient and inconsiderate ones here who snap and snarl. And make nasty comments of those who like myself think differently from them.

Off to sleep now and so looking forward to Moll's Gap and all onwards after market. Whatever I get stuck behind... sheer beauty and a privilege to be here

Blessings and peace

and over and OUT .. REALLY some people!!

Graces7 wrote: »
    I left the rat race years ago and feel so sorry for the snarlers here..

And I think I get more from the drive than all the impatient and inconsiderate ones here who snap and snarl. And make nasty comments of those who like myself think differently from them.

1. I guessed you were out of the rat race. I have to pay a mortgage, support family etc and that means having to work and work hard. I too would like to amble along and be out of the rat race. Good luck to you with that.

2. For someone who has littered her post with refernces to her own peace and love, you seem rather impatient on websites. I did not attack you at all. I disagreed with your post. That is all. So less of all the utter nonsense about how my observations are rants and how you are the one who has some serene patience while we "snap and snarl". Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Graces7 wrote: »
    Teach them what though?

Oh dear. Did you not notice it was tongue in cheek ? :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement