Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loose lead walking tips

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Ddad

Tbh op I can see where the lady was coming from. My wifes a runner and I bring our dog on long walks in public forests and both of us have regular negative experiences with people unable to control their pet. My wifes club members have been bitten and chased almost without exception. As a nation of dog owners we suck at controlling our pets so you can see how frustrations build. I'm not excusing her choice of words though.

Have you attended training classes with the dog and if so how persistent have you been with the training regime. Our fella is bright enough and when he gets something it sticks but he needs a good bit of training. Our own dog is a work in progress but I'd be fairly mortified if he was on his hind legs trying to lick passersby to death;).

IMHO I think the primary solution is lifestyle and training and the harnesses collars et al are fallbacks although some friends are very enamoured with the haltis.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

Ddad wrote: »
    Tbh op I can see where the lady was coming from. My wifes a runner and I bring our dog on long walks in public forests and both of us have regular negative experiences with people unable to control their pet. My wifes club members have been bitten and chased almost without exception. As a nation of dog owners we suck at controlling our pets so you can see how frustrations build. I'm not excusing her choice of words though.

Have you attended training classes with the dog and if so how persistent have you been with the training regime. Our fella is bright enough and when he gets something it sticks but he needs a good bit of training. Our own dog is a work in progress but I'd be fairly mortified if he was on his hind legs trying to lick passersby to death;).

IMHO I think the primary solution is lifestyle and training and the harnesses collars et al are fallbacks although some friends are very enamoured with the haltis.

Best of luck

Sorry I should have explained, I had the dog on a tight leash and close to my body all he could do was get on his hind legs, at no point was he in the runners path or even close to it. I am always very conscious of that as I was actually very wary of dogs when I was younger (having been chased by one it left me with a bit of fear). The thing is his action in no way warrented her response. He is only coming up to 7 months old and is still very much in that excitable puppy phase.

We are trying out classes with dogwise in Blanch so I am hoping some of it will start to stick. The thing is we have been training him at home and he picks up very very quickly, sit, heel, fetch, down (when he is jumping up) they all took no more than 10 minutes for him to grasp using reward based training.

While out walking we have had a few negative experiences ourselves so I can totally understand where you are coming from, dogs walked off leash but not properly trained have come bounding at our guy and on more than one occassion he has been snapped at. As we are still working on training him we keep him on a tight and short leash. The thing is leash training takes times and the only way to do it is to get out and walk him so I found this runners attitude a bit aggressive as I had explained that he was a pup and we were in the middle of training him and he wasnt actually jumping on her and it was clear I had him on a tight and short leash and the only thing he was capably of doing was going up on his hind legs. I hadnt heard of haltis and I think they might speed up the process of at least curbing his enthusiasm for jumping on his hind legs when he sees something / someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

kaza2710 wrote: »
    Just wondering if these haltie collars would be any good with trying to train a dog not to jump and greet people when we are out walking. As he is getting stronger it is becoming harder for me to stop him doing this with just the harness.

there is no harm in him doing it, it's more in an over affectionate way to try and lick people but one lady who was out running did not appreciate him bounding into her path. It was a narrow path way and I had moved onto the road and had him as close to the edge of the path as I could but he was practically standing on his back legs with his tail wagging like mad trying to gover over to her. She promptly took out her earphones and gave off to me. I apologied profusly and explained it was not an agressive act and more like he is just over friendly. I also explained that we are trying to train him and then finished with another apology. She then told me to control my F***ing dog in future. Not a particularly nice lady at all. I think the halti might be an option though as it might help me control his over eagerness and avoid such instances in the future.

So basically just wondering if any users of the halti have found it effective to control such behaviour?

The halti harness sounds like it would be perfect for your fella. I only got it recently but I am definately a convert, it gives you another level of control over the dog which is perfect for when they decide they want to go. My fella is usually perfect on the lead but every so often he would get over exited at something like another animal or a person and he is so bloody strong that I started having shoulder pains after the happened. He seems not to be bothered by it at all, the head collard he hated but he seems fine with the harness so no dramas when putting it on.

Advertisement