Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salary and relocation to Perth

Options
  • 13-06-2012 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Just got confirmation today of a position in Perth. The offer is $140,000 plus $12,000 superannuation so total of $152,000 with a relocation allowance included to move the family over to Perth.

Would this be considered a good offer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Yes very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lol yes it's a fantastic offer. Even with dependents, a lot of families wouldn't be bringing in $140k with two working parents.

Unless it's for absolute slave labour of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

Yeah sounds like the ticket alright, also they said because I would be missing the yearly bonus I would be getting a signing bonus of 5k after 3 months.

So looks like we are going

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Sounds great. Is it the going rate for what you do over here? What hours do you have to do and what exit clauses are in your contract. Some companies are not doing the right thing by their sponsored employees. Take for example a mining company that is sponsoring Irish families overhere and paying them $130k plus super and relocation on 4 year contracts with get out clauses. While they are paying their locals closer to $160k per year. $130k is very cheap for the hours that these guys will be working.

Saying that you should have no problems bringing up a family on that money overhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

ellaq wrote: »
    Sounds great. Is it the going rate for what you do over here? What hours do you have to do and what exit clauses are in your contract. Some companies are not doing the right thing by their sponsored employees. Take for example a mining company that is sponsoring Irish families overhere and paying them $130k plus super and relocation on 4 year contracts with get out clauses. While they are paying their locals closer to $160k per year. $130k is very cheap for the hours that these guys will be working.

Saying that you should have no problems bringing up a family on that money overhere.

Thanks Ellaq, the role is in Project Management for a multi-national construction firm so I might try and push for another 5 k base so that is $145 plus superannuation hours are 37.5 a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Sounds good dclane.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭CarlowPerth

Congrats on the job and hope you enjoy Perth as much as i do.Only thing i will say is you prob wont work 37.5 hours a week.I was working (sponsored) by and major Precast firm here as a Supervisor....My contract said 37.5 but i worked mostly 65 hours a week

Yes thats a good offer and sounds right for the industry, DH is in same industry. however as CarlowPerth says the 37.5 hours bit is a joke, especially if its a 457 visa. We have PR thankfully and DH doesnt feel too bad walking out after 10 hours a day minimum but the lads doing the same role as him on a 457 are coming in for 12 hour days minimum and working over weekend as they feel they have to. Oh his contract says from 8-5, LOL!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dclane wrote: »
    Hi,
    Just got confirmation today of a position in Perth. The offer is $140,000 plus $12,000 superannuation so total of $152,000 with a relocation allowance included to move the family over to Perth.

Would this be considered a good offer?

Just to clarify, in case you are unsure, superannuation is 9%. This isn't part of a salary package and you don't see any of this if a bank account.
    Yes thats a good offer and sounds right for the industry, DH is in same industry. however as CarlowPerth says the 37.5 hours bit is a joke, especially if its a 457 visa. We have PR thankfully and DH doesnt feel too bad walking out after 10 hours a day minimum but the lads doing the same role as him on a 457 are coming in for 12 hour days minimum and working over weekend as they feel they have to. Oh his contract says from 8-5, LOL!!!

That's nothing got to do with a visa, australia or anything else. It's just pretty standard on positions in industry. When I was in Ireland and a project was appraoching a deadline, the weekly hours increased. It was just a case of getting the work done. If overtime was formally requested from above you'd get paid or time in lieu, but most of the time you didn't.

These days, people who kill to be that busy again.

Mellor wrote: »
    Just to clarify, in case you are unsure, superannuation is 9%. This isn't part of a salary package and you don't see any of this if a bank account.

That's nothing got to do with a visa, australia or anything else. It's just pretty standard on positions in industry. When I was in Ireland and a project was appraoching a deadline, the weekly hours increased. It was just a case of getting the work done. If overtime was formally requested from above you'd get paid or time in lieu, but most of the time you didn't.

These days, people who kill to be that busy again.

Mellor I disagree, it has everything to do with the type of visa. Like I said my DH is working with people on a 457 visa and they 'feel' they have to put in extra hours in order to impress and keep their jobs secure. They are in a less favourable position on a 457 visa compared to Permanent Residency. This is every day of the week regardless of whether it is warranted or not. Nobody wants to face losing their job and having 28 days to find another sponsor or leave the country!

• Advertisement

And also my DH is also working much longer hours than in his contract as its necessary like you say but the guys on the 457 feel the pressure a lot more!

Wtf is a DH? :confused:

I described the same situation in ireland, with no visas. It's expected in every job when you are busy.

Just because they feel they have to doesn't mean they actually have to. Unless the boss is pressuring them to exploit them, but thats not the norm imo.
    They're no rule that says 457's have to go first. I'm not sure why you think they are less favourable. I'm on a 457 and I've seen 2 people be hired and let go at (one was PR the other a citizen) while I've been here. Basically because they were a bit crap. I didn;t have to do overtime to expose this ;)

Darling Husband!

Mellor maybe you are my DH posting here? THats his attitude to work, 'Im good enough to get my job done in the hours Im supposed to be here' LOL

Possibly as these guys have lost jobs in Ireland they are extremely cautious now, a couple of them had been on the dole for a while. I think its the whole what if scenario and the having to leave the country in 28 days if the worst happened, which does happen!

Darling Husband!

Oh my :o

Possibly as these guys have lost jobs in Ireland they are extremely cautious now, a couple of them had been on the dole for a while. I think its the whole what if scenario and the having to leave the country in 28 days if the worst happened, which does happen!

That's the situation I'm in now really. Very slow here at the minute. And having serious flashbacks to 2008 in Dublin.

If I was to starting doing 12 hour days, it would probably be worse as there would be a lot less work left for the nest week :D

Advertisement