Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle to work voucher good for buggy?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies in advance Mods, but I reckon this forum will be the most suited for my question...

I was offered a "cycle to work" voucher worth €1000 that someone bought (thinking they'd get a bike but it didn't work out). They reckoned I might be able to use it in Eurocycles or some-such for getting buggy/car seat etc. as we're expecting in December.

I've no interest in getting a bike, but I'd be happy to help them out if it'd be useful getting buggy etc..

What do you think, is it any use in these shops do you know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Assuming it is related to the cycle to work scheme, which is tax related, I imagine shops will only exchange it for a bike (including accessories). It also needs to be used by an employee.

So unless someone wants to get done for tax evasion ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

ah no, not tax evasion. (well at least not nefarious, intentional tax evasion)

Employee buys voucher for ~€480 offered from employee expecting to by bike.
    A year passes, employee still has voucher and lost interest in bike.
    Employee can't hand back voucher to employer.
    Employee has €1000 voucher and is looking to recoup losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Zulu wrote: »
    ah no, not tax evasion. (well at least not nefarious, intentional tax evasion)

Employee buys voucher for ~€480 offered from employee expecting to by bike.
    A year passes, employee still has voucher and lost interest in bike.
    Employee can't hand back voucher to employer.
    Employee has €1000 voucher and is looking to recoup losses.

Employee should technically pay back the tax that they evaded/avoided through the scheme (or just buy a bike)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

I bought a bike under the scheme recently. A few other bits that the shop sells that were not bike related were thrown in and the cost of the bike rounded up to the actual cost of the items and the bike together. If you dont ask you dont get. A bit of creative invoicing may be applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

hardCopy wrote: »
    Employee should technically pay back the tax that they evaded/avoided through the scheme (or just buy a bike)
    This, pretty much.

The scheme only covers the actual purchase of a bike for cycling to work. However the employer plans to run it is up to them, but it doesn't cover a tax-free voucher, so the employee has legally underpaid income tax if they don't buy a bike with the voucher.

• Advertisement

Well to be fair, they haven't avoided/evaded anything just yet hardcopy. Also, did you catch the part where I mentioned they aren't able to return the voucher?

...but please, that's a rhetorical question. I deliberately didn't post this in business/taxation, as I'm not concerned with their tax affairs, or for that matter any discussion on taxation. I'm not bothered giving them a lecture on taxation ethics for offering me a voucher. I am also not interested on what they should or shouldn't do.

What I am interested in is what I should do:
    should I take this person up on their offer, would the voucher be of any use in getting baby related items? Or is it of no use to me.

@ian87 thanks for your helpful reply. I'm reckoning it's more hassle than it's probably worth.

Zulu wrote: »
    Also, did you catch the part where I mentioned they aren't able to return the voucher?
    Strictly speaking, that's the employer's problem as the obligation is on the employer to supply the bike to the employee.
    should I take this person up on their offer, would the voucher be of any use in getting baby related items? Or is it of no use to me.
    If the shop is doing it correctly, they will refuse to supply anything which isn't a bike. They are also required to deliver the equipment to the workplace of the person buying it.

Sounds like a lot of hassle unless you can get the actual employee to attempt the purchase on your behalf. I wouldn't buy the voucher and walk into the shop with it yourself.

seamus wrote: »
    Sounds like a lot of hassle unless you can get the actual employee to attempt the purchase on your behalf. I wouldn't buy the voucher and walk into the shop with it yourself.
    Well it's a relation, so there's no hassle getting them to buy it on my behalf - but it sounds like a lot of hassle, delivering a buggy shaped "bike" to their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

seamus wrote: »
    They are also required to deliver the equipment to the workplace of the person buying it.

No, they are not required to deliver it to the workplace of the person. I collected my own bike and I know of plenty of other people who have done the same.

However, company ID may be required by the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

The worst you can do is ask can you use it.. I bought in a rather large motor parts store who also sell bikes. They have stores nationwide and they still did it for me. Not as if it was a small mom and pop bike shop. All they can say is no..

• Advertisement

No, they are not required to deliver it to the workplace of the person. I collected my own bike and I know of plenty of other people who have done the same.
    Apologies, you're right. One site says that the bike must be delivered to the place of work, but this isn't the case. The only real stipulation is that the employer makes the payment and takes it out of the employee's salary.

While you won't be the first person to try something like this, and probably not the last, the shops involved really need to cop on for their own sakes. Shops that take advantage of the scheme to sell buggies and lawnmowers are shooting themselves in the foot by giving ammunition to people who oppose the scheme.

(I'm a cyclist, I think the scheme is fantastic but I've never used it myself because I already had a bike before the scheme was introduceD)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm sure you'd have to ask the shop in question whether they're willing to do it. We can't tell you if they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

ian87 wrote: »
    I bought a bike under the scheme recently. A few other bits that the shop sells that were not bike related were thrown in and the cost of the bike rounded up to the actual cost of the items and the bike together. If you dont ask you dont get. A bit of creative invoicing may be applied?

As far as I am aware this is acceptable under terms of the scheme. I.e. It is accepted you are buying a helmet because you bought a bike.

January wrote: »
    I'm sure you'd have to ask the shop in question whether they're willing to do it. We can't tell you if they will.

And hopefully they will say No. This tax saving scheme is for bikes not for buggys.

Unless you are planning to cycle the buggy??! :rolleyes:
    :D

amdublin wrote: »
    ian87 wrote: »

As far as I am aware this is acceptable under terms of the scheme. I.e. It is accepted you are buying a helmet because you bought a bike.

January wrote: »

And hopefully they will say No. This tax saving scheme is for bikes not for buggys.

Unless you are planning to cycle the buggy??! :rolleyes:
    :D

Could justify getting one of those baby-joggers that double as a bike trailer!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Could justify getting one of those baby-joggers that double as a bike trailer!

:pac:

Advertisement