Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judicial Separation & new De Facto relationship

• 13-06-2012 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I obtained a judicial separation from my ex-wife a couple of years ago. Obviously I cannot obtain a divorce for a further 2 years.

However as my new partner is from outside the EU, I wonder if I will be able to register this new de facto relationship before getting divorced? I realise that I will need to wait 2 years, but will this be possible then, or will the fact that I am not divorced mean that this is impossible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

As I understand it, there is no such thing as a de-facto relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Incorrect, http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000278

DavidForde wrote: »
    I obtained a judicial separation from my ex-wife a couple of years ago. Obviously I cannot obtain a divorce for a further 2 years.

However as my new partner is from outside the EU, I wonder if I will be able to register this new de facto relationship before getting divorced? I realise that I will need to wait 2 years, but will this be possible then, or will the fact that I am not divorced mean that this is impossible.

Interesting, if your new relationship is in excess of 2 years then you can at least apply to inis, and see what happens. If on the other hand your relationship is new well for defacto you need 2 years so you will be in a position to divorce by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

Apologies, I didn't know about that. Interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DavidForde

The relationship has been for just over a year, so I would rather get the de facto relationship ratified than wait for longer, if possible.

• Advertisement

The relationship has been for just over a year, so I would rather get the de facto relationship ratified than wait for longer, if possible.

I dont think you can do that. You can not divorce for another 2 years so you can not enter into any type of legal union. And Defacto needs to be in relationship duly attested for at least 2 years.

Yes, but I am hoping to apply after 2 years of the relationship for the de facto. I wondered whether the judicial separation is a sufficiently 'legal' end to the former relationship to allow for this de facto relationship to be ratified.

Yes, but I am hoping to apply after 2 years of the relationship for the de facto. I wondered whether the judicial separation is a sufficiently 'legal' end to the former relationship to allow for this de facto relationship to be ratified.

And as I said earlier, when you have at least two years of a relationship, you can apply. I can see no reason why a defacto relationship can not be used even if the person is separated but not divorced. But the only way to be sure is to apply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 Claire McCarthy Cork

David, what do you mean by "ratified"? For what purpose do you want to have the relationship recognised? Is it for immigration purposes, as assumed by other posters, and/or for some other reason(s)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I think you might be confusing this with a de facto Family - which, I believe, is not recognised by the Irish Courts?

• Advertisement

Yes, the defacto would be helpful for immigration reasons.

In that case, you might like to read this factsheet from the Immigrant Council of Ireland in addition to the link to the INIS site above: http://www.immigrantcouncil.ie/images/stories/Factsheet_3_-Family_Unity_Irish_Nationals1.pdf

The info relevant to your query is on page 7: ► Persons who are ‘de-facto’ or cohabiting partners of an Irish national.

I would add that the INIS tends to write back to people asking for even more dated documentation to prove that the relationship has existed for two years. Keep records!

PS As already alluded to above, because of our divorce system, it is not unusual for an Irish person to still be married, even after that relationship has long since ceased to be actually existing (or "de facto"). I presume that you intend to provide all that information in your application cover letter. I would assume that having a legal separation would demonstrate that the first relationship no longer exists in reality. It may also explain why you have to apply as a "de facto" couple rather than as a married one.

Advertisement