Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsistent workouts - lacking intensity in gym

• 13-06-2012 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

I started doing stronglifts 5x5 back in Jan. Have been happy with progress since then and recently swithced to 3x5 as suggested in the programme....also swapped the rows for power cleans as suggested in the programme so guess you could say I am now doing starting strength:P

Anyway as the weight has gone up I have noticed my workouts have become very inconsistent. All the weights I'm lifting are heavy for me now and it seems sometimes I go and just cant lift a thing and other days its fine.

Prime example is I went to gym last Sat, did 3x5 100kg squats with no problem (not easy but very doable)...went last night to gym and could not do one!!!!

I think it might come down to two things 1) motivation 2) diet.

1) I find it very hard after a days work (have a stressful job) to get psyched up for a workout...I find myself at the gym feeling really drained and at times going through the motions. I notice my weekend workouts tend to be markedly better and I lift much better on weekend...anybody else experience this? Any suggestions on getting around it?

2) I have found diet a real problem area. I have come from a background of distance running where I basically ate what I wanted and was always skinny...didnt matter if I was eating protein, carbs or fats. I have found it a real struggle to balance getting the food I need for recovery while keeping a stable weight/not gaining fat. I am training primarily for strength rather than aesthetics but I have noticed my BF % has gone up a bit which I am not thrilled about. I find I go through periods where I am eating loads and liftinf well but gaining fat and other times I am keeping a stable weight/BF % but not recovering/lifting that well. In an ideal world I would like to be able to maintain my current bw while recovering adequately from my workouts.

Could anybody point me in a good source (book/website whatever) that explains what I should be aiming for diet wise or could somebody provide some advice as at the moment I am pretty lost.

For reference I currently weigh c. 75kg and Im lifting 3x5 100kg Squat ATG, 1x5 135kg deadlift, 3x5 65kg bench, 3x5 45 kg press (upper body strength is for ****).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Re: motivation - if you train better at the weekend, plan ahead so your harder workouts are then.

Re: missing 100kg - entirely mental. There's no diet or fatigue effect great enough to cause you to miss something which is as low as percentage of your max as that. This is one for the HTFU cream :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

Stress can play havoc with recovery, you possibly might need a deload or few days off but diets a more likely cause. Once your diets sorted keep an eye on that if the problem continues.
    I used to lift after work and a hit of caffine used to help after a particulary hard day

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ManwitaPlan

Stress can play havoc with recovery, you possibly might need a deload or few days off but diets a more likely cause. Once your diets sorted keep an eye on that if the problem continues.
    I used to lift after work and a hit of caffine used to help after a particulary hard day

Hey guys, thanks for advice.

I've managed to do something to my back so Im resting up for next three weeks (doing smolov for bench).

My typical diet would look like this.

Meal 1: Smmothie (three pieces of fruit, scoop of way, oats, seeds)
    Meal 2: Sandwhich (brown bread, beef, cheese) or two tins of tuna with mayo
    Meal 3: Whey protein in water
    Meal 4: Chicken/beef with brown rice/noodles
    Meal 5: Casein shake

Like I said carrying a bit more bf than I would like so tryin to eat clean while still getting enough for recovery...prob is the above diet is not hitting either of those marks i.e. I am not getting leaner and even looking at it now I can see its prob not enough food.

I tried milk but made me ridiculously bloated and nauseous so I dont think it agrees.

Any suggestion on how I can tweak the above? Is it really a case of periodising where I eat like a horse + lift well or cut back and reduce the weights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

Hey guys, thanks for advice.

I've managed to do something to my back so Im resting up for next three weeks (doing smolov for bench).

My typical diet would look like this.

Meal 1: Smmothie (three pieces of fruit, scoop of way, oats, seeds)
    Meal 2: Sandwhich (brown bread, beef, cheese) or two tins of tuna with mayo
    Meal 3: Whey protein in water
    Meal 4: Chicken/beef with brown rice/noodles
    Meal 5: Casein shake

Like I said carrying a bit more bf than I would like so tryin to eat clean while still getting enough for recovery...prob is the above diet is not hitting either of those marks i.e. I am not getting leaner and even looking at it now I can see its prob not enough food.

I tried milk but made me ridiculously bloated and nauseous so I dont think it agrees.

Any suggestion on how I can tweak the above? Is it really a case of periodising where I eat like a horse + lift well or cut back and reduce the weights?

drop the mayo,bread and cheese :)
    have you tried some cardio?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Read an article advert about Betaine in some BBing magazine. Says it's the job for consistency. Betaine vs placebo showed a positive result and when the placebo group swapped for betaine, their' performances increased.

Anyone tried this?

Website (similar to advert)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Hanley wrote: »
    Re: missing 100kg - entirely mental. There's no diet or fatigue effect great enough to cause you to miss something which is as low as percentage of your max as that. This is one for the HTFU cream :D

Better get the young lad that comes to the gym with me a tube of that. DL 100kg x 10...........moved up to 110kg and couldn't do one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭token

Grakh wrote: »
    I've tried various supplements to improve my workouts, but the most effective for me is <snippedy snip snip snip>. It not only enhances my physical capacities, but also helps to fight stress. As a result, I am full of energy after my working day and ready for intensive workouts. Doesn't stop me getting banned for spamming the forum though.

Dave Castro?

Advertisement