Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Length of Business Answers

• 13-06-2012 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

So I'm an individual with timing problems. It hinders my performance greatly in subjects such as English and Business. How much should I aim to write for business do you think?
    I always write three points of information and an example, i.e. 3 sentences and an example. Is it too much?
    Judging by Michael Bolger's Business Speedy revision book, I am writing far too much for my ABQ answers, but I feel he writes very little. Here is a sample of a question and answer provided in book:

Q Outline the marketing mix used by Welcome Inn. Refer to the text wherever relevant. (20 marks)

Answer is based on the marketing mix of course, but here's a suggested heading:

Product: (1 mark)
    This relates to the service provided by Welcome Inn and includes any USP, etc. (2 marks)

Link - 'Quote from paragraph' (2 marks)

Is that all? Seems a little iffy to me or maybe I've been taught wrong. Would appreciate your input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭jano1

The Q says 'outline' which means you don't need detail and as it's the Marketing Mix, there are only 4 points. I would use a similar answer to the one you refer to:

Product
    This is the hotel/accommodation service provided to customers by the Welcome Inn. Businesses use brand names to make their products/services easily distinguishable and to create brand loyalty.

Their brand name 'Welcome Inn' sets the business aside from it's competitors.

I have corrected LC Business HL and as a rule you should write approx 3.5 pages for the ABQ max. Use the mantra STATE EXPLAIN RELATE to pick up the marks. Remember state your point and when explaining you are showing your knowledge of the subject matter in general and then you finally link it to the text of the ABQ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

So should I use three points of information and an example if the question asked to "Discuss", for example? (in the long questions)
      What format would you suggest?

Like the ABQ state your point, explain it and if possible use an example. The main thing is that you are showing your knowledge. If asked for example to discuss the marketing mix for a product (not in an ABQ) for 20 marks you would use answers like this:

Product
      Products have both form and function, for example the function of a pen is as a tool for writing but it also has to satisfy the customer's need by taking a form that is appealing in terms of design eg rubber grip.

That would be plenty for 5 marks

You can use other points obviously like USP, brand name, patents/copyrights, packaging.

I would use examples where you can. I think your 3 points of information refers more to short Qs, eg Explain EDI:

Electronic Data Interchange is computer to computer communication used for transactions between suppliers and business customers such as re-ordering stock. Both must have compatible software. The customers computer sends an order to the supplier when stock levels reach the reorder level.

There are 3 points of info there including the example of stock control.

jano1 wrote: »
      Like the ABQ state your point, explain it and if possible use an example. The main thing is that you are showing your knowledge. If asked for example to discuss the marketing mix for a product (not in an ABQ) for 20 marks you would use answers like this:

Product
      Products have both form and function, for example the function of a pen is as a tool for writing but it also has to satisfy the customer's need by taking a form that is appealing in terms of design eg rubber grip.

That would be plenty for 5 marks

You can use other points obviously like USP, brand name, patents/copyrights, packaging.

I would use examples where you can. I think your 3 points of information refers more to short Qs, eg Explain EDI:

Electronic Data Interchange is computer to computer communication used for transactions between suppliers and business customers such as re-ordering stock. Both must have compatible software. The customers computer sends an order to the supplier when stock levels reach the reorder level.

There are 3 points of info there including the example of stock control.

I write so much more than that in exams! Thank you for the advice. No wonder I run out of time!

You're not the only one!! Best of luck tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I just learned my teacher doesn't know what he's doing. If I handed him one of those sample answers he'd say that's no where near enough. I would find this out the day before the exam..

My teacher too would state that it is too little if I write anywhere near the above recommendation! Misinformation spreads quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 59 ✭✭Tippgal93

My teacher 3 would also say thats too little to write.. And she has been correcting business papers for years.....

Id be safe if I were you and just write that bit more... If you plan your time right you will have time to write more.... even if your hand does fall off at the end of the exam :/

What Tippgal says is true - the recommended answers I suggested are based on the info you give being spot on. If it's not then if you have given more information that is correct you will have this to fall back on so use your judgement. The examiner will do their best to find info worth marks in anything you have written. Stick to points so you don't waffle and so you can see clearly for yourself if you have the correct no of points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

Do you think for the general long questions, would it be okay for me just to write 2 sentences of information on each point, and an example if it's possible, or should I give 3 sentences. Should I write more on questions where an example is not possible.

• Advertisement
    Advertisement