Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAO parents dropping kids to the Dart station in the morning...

Options
  • 13-06-2012 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

When driving little jonny or jenny the .25 of a km to the Dart station in the morning, please, please, please drive in an efficient manner (approaching but not exceeding the speed limit) and for the love of god, please make sure you are completely off the main road before stopped and letting your little treasure off. If this means you have to stop in front of vino pasta instead and the kids have to walk from there, so be it. It may surprise you but you are not the only person trying to make the dart!!!

That is all, flame away! ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

When driving little jonny or jenny the .25 of a km to the Dart station

When did Greystones shrink to fit into a 0.25km radius of the DART station?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

This is a pet hate of mine also. Some (and only some, it must be stressed) people almost have to drive them in the door of the station. And not only that, they feel they have the right of way to pull right back out on to the road without indicating or checking if any other car is coming down the road once "little treasure" has been dispatched.

Co-incidentally, had one of the worst experiences this morning - As I was passing the station heading to the park & ride car park, the car in front of me had to brake suddenly (and so did I, as a result) because a gentleman driving from south to north had decided that he was entitled to cross into our lane of traffic (not even in the lay-by and facing towards the town) and stop at the lights FACING THE WRONG WAY. As the 3 kids in the back were about to disembark, he suddenly realised something was wrong and shot back across to the 'correct' lane before pulling in to the bus stop at the AIB.

It beggars belief sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

When driving little jonny or jenny the .25 of a km to the Dart station in the morning, please, please, please drive in an efficient manner (approaching but not exceeding the speed limit) and for the love of god, please make sure you are completely off the main road before stopped and letting your little treasure off. If this means you have to stop in front of vino pasta instead and the kids have to walk from there, so be it. It may surprise you but you are not the only person trying to make the dart!!!

That is all, flame away! ;-)

:D.You're funny..............are you kiddin me....and risk being ridiculed by their mates..or worse, get exercise....:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

DD9090 wrote: »
    When driving little jonny or jenny the .25 of a km to the Dart station

When did Greystones shrink to fit into a 0.25km radius of the DART station?
    while we're at it...pleaseee explain to your kids that you must never ever ever get off the bus (across from the happy pear) walk to the front of the bus and walk out to cross the road to school...twice in the last couple of weeks whilst going to work..at the same place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

I've seen plenty of adults dropped and picked up in this manner by other adults at the Dart. Maybe drop the patronising "Jenny and Johnny" and "little treasure"? Sure, the only people that behave badly around Dart stations at dropping/pick up time are parents. Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

While it reminds me, this is something I've wanted to say for a long time.

There are a few children (Whom I'll not name nor describe) that go to a school along the DART line but reside in Greystones that, for the last 18 months have acted the total maggot on the DART coming home and going in. At one point, I've seen them kick an elderly woman on a rush hour DART because they were playing wrestling and it got out of hand. (For which, I'll add, they did not apologise or even acknowledge)

These same children make sure to hush at Bray so that they can ring and make sure their lift home will be waiting at the DART station. I just wish their parents would be aware, I'm sure they would be disgusted.

Anyway, apologies. I'm sorry for going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Jammyc wrote: »
    While it reminds me, this is something I've wanted to say for a long time.

There are a few children (Whom I'll not name nor describe) that go to a school along the DART line but reside in Greystones that, for the last 18 months have acted the total maggot on the DART coming home and going in. At one point, I've seen them kick an elderly woman on a rush hour DART because they were playing wrestling and it got out of hand. (For which, I'll add, they did not apologise or even acknowledge)

These same children make sure to hush at Bray so that they can ring and make sure their lift home will be waiting at the DART station. I just wish their parents would be aware, I'm sure they would be disgusted.

Anyway, apologies. I'm sorry for going off topic.

I have to agree I used to get the 7.30am Dart into Pearse every monring and the amount of "little sh*tes" from respectable schools who again reside loaclly is ridiclous... the scream and roar...darn right rude, use their school bags to "hold" seats for theit friends getting on at a stop much further down the line. NEVER move for eldery people, people with disabilities etc.... whats worse is the shout up and down entire dart at thier friends.... to be honest I was shocked when i first starting getting the dart, do their parents not realise how unruley they are??? jumping the queue to get tickets, pushing on the darts infront of people etc :confused:

Then they all disemabrk somewhere between blackrock and Booterstown and peace is restored. I can honestly say i NEVER behaved like that when i was younger! and no im not elderly, im in my earlt 30's but have respect for other travellers EXCEPT the brats that travel the dart each morning, if they were my kids i would be mortified! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

I've seen plenty of adults dropped and picked up in this manner by other adults at the Dart. Maybe drop the patronising "Jenny and Johnny" and "little treasure"? Sure, the only people that behave badly around Dart stations at dropping/pick up time are parents. Ridiculous.

Yes, all people should use proper etiquette around the dart station. But from what I have seen, its the parents dropping kids off in the morning that cause the traffic chaos (kids that I suspect that could just as easily walk to the station - yes, I realise I have no proof for this). Outside the station is anarchy just before 8: cars stopping on the road, others pulling into traffic without looking. All I am saying is that people need to be more considerate on the roads, especially when everyone is hurrying to make the same train.

P.S. My original post is slightly tongue-in-cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Dr.Silly

Man, people have few worries if this is what's causing heartache !

Chill, and get on with it.
    I think it's totally OTT, I go by there every morning, at least twice before 8.30 am. It's not that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭snowman224

cocker5 wrote: »
    I have to agree I used to get the 7.30am Dart into Pearse every monring and the amount of "little sh*tes" from respectable schools who again reside loaclly is ridiclous... the scream and roar...darn right rude, use their school bags to "hold" seats for theit friends getting on at a stop much further down the line. NEVER move for eldery people, people with disabilities etc.... whats worse is the shout up and down entire dart at thier friends.... to be honest I was shocked when i first starting getting the dart, do their parents not realise how unruley they are??? jumping the queue to get tickets, pushing on the darts infront of people etc :confused:

Then they all disemabrk somewhere between blackrock and Booterstown and peace is restored. I can honestly say i NEVER behaved like that when i was younger! and no im not elderly, im in my earlt 30's but have respect for other travellers EXCEPT the brats that travel the dart each morning, if they were my kids i would be mortified! :eek:

Ever think of saying something to the kids?
    In my experience if you ask a schoolkid to give up a seat there is no issue.
    Same goes for messing on the train. If you ask them to calm down, usually they do....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Dr.Silly wrote: »
    Man, people have few worries if this is what's causing heartache !

Chill, and get on with it.
    I think it's totally OTT, I go by there every morning, at least twice before 8.30 am. It's not that bad.

I can see your point, but most of the concern is about selfish and careless driving that causes danger to others. I can understand ignoring the rules of the road when you are in the middle of nowhere and no other cars around. I do not understand it when done routinely on the main street of a busy town. I observe this from drivers up and down the main street and not just at the station.

Rather than causing the heart to ache, it causes the blood to boil...:(

I can see your point, but most of the concern is about selfish and careless driving that causes danger to others. I can understand ignoring the rules of the road when you are in the middle of nowhere and no other cars around. I do not understand it when done routinely on the main street of a busy town. I observe this from drivers up and down the main street and not just at the station.

Rather than causing the heart to ache, it causes the blood to boil...:(

well if it means that much to people, I suggest going to the police/council and ask them to put on an extra traffic warden in the morning ! rather than moaning in a forum.

snowman224 wrote: »
    Ever think of saying something to the kids?
    In my experience if you ask a schoolkid to give up a seat there is no issue.
    Same goes for messing on the train. If you ask them to calm down, usually they do....
    I have a few times and so have others, only to be met with a look of 'how dare you talk to me'. They're brats, if only their parents knew!

I have a few times and so have others, only to be met with a look of 'how dare you talk to me'. They're brats, if only their parents knew!

lol

lol
    Also my reaction. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

exactly... i have seen people ask them to be quiet etc or to move their bags so people can pass by... and the look of "who the hell do you think you are"... they are brats, no upbringing... so TBH I couldnt be bothered its not my role in society to show these kids how to behave and have manners, they should learn it at home / school.... :pac:

Jesus, a lot of generalisation about these kids been brats,
    I'm assuming some of these posters don't have kids, or if they do, they're obviously angels :rolleyes:

getting off topic anyway.

Jesus, a lot of generalisation about these kids been brats,
    I'm assuming some of these posters don't have kids, or if they do, they're obviously angels :rolleyes:

getting off topic anyway.
    I'm just saying that I've only seen these kids being brats ergo, I'm going to call them brats.

Indeed getting off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

well if it means that much to people, I suggest going to the police/council and ask them to put on an extra traffic warden in the morning ! rather than moaning in a forum.

"If stuff means a lot to you but not me, don't post here, OK?"

"If stuff means a lot to you but not me, don't post here, OK?"

Understood Sir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toitle

cocker5 wrote: »
    so TBH I couldnt be bothered its not my role in society:

This isn't a personal attack although I know that sometimes on fora it could appear as such.
    And I realise it's somewhat O.T but I ask you (and anyone else who cares to comment)
    What do you see as your role in society?

The reason I ask is this:
    I too have seen the type of kids that your talking about (I've seen plenty of well behaved ones too for the record)
    Some lads were shouting continuously and I asked them to keep it down and they did.
    Sure they were sheepish and a bit jokey with each other afterwards but that's just kids right?

I think if we all as a society felt more inclined to stand up for what we believed and within our rights to use our voice then perhaps our society wouldn't be so lacking.

I was in Germany years ago and random passers by would out you in your place when you placed the wrong type of rubbish in the wrong recycling bin.

I find people here all to willing to give out after the event (whatever that event may be,whether littering or schoolkids being inconsiderate)

But what if you were bothered to say something?

What if the people around you backed you up when you asked them politely to lower their voices?

Who cares what their attitude is afterwards if they learn where the boundaries are?Kids will be kids afterall and it's rare for them to show restraint when they're in a group.We were all young once.

Sorry this is way off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Selandia

OP, in relation to your post about careless driving and parking at Dart in the last few days, while I'm in total agreement with you in general. I WILL say in their defence that it would be mostly only exam students rushing to the station at the moment. Their parents are probably more stressed and panicked about getting them there on time than usual....... Good luck to them all, I wouldn't like to be doing the Leaving Cert again!

Selandia wrote: »
    OP, in relation to your post about careless driving and parking at Dart in the last few days, while I'm in total agreement with you in general. I WILL say in their defence that it would be mostly only exam students rushing to the station at the moment. Their parents are probably more stressed and panicked about getting them there on time than usual....... Good luck to them all, I wouldn't like to be doing the Leaving Cert again!

There are very very few secondary students on the DART since the holidays. I think most parents are dropping their kids directly to the schools for exams. If my kids were doing exams, I wouldn't trust the DART at all to get them on time. What if it broke down half way between Greystones & Bray?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eigrod wrote: »
    There are very very few secondary students on the DART since the holidays. I think most parents are dropping their kids directly to the schools for exams. If my kids were doing exams, I wouldn't trust the DART at all to get them on time. What if it broke down half way between Greystones & Bray?

Any form of transport can break down!!!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Any form of transport can break down!!!

Absolutely, I don't disagree. However its a lot easier to get contingency if your car or the bus breaks down at Loughlinstown then if the DART breaks down in a tunnel between Greystones & Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

eigrod wrote: »
    Absolutely, I don't disagree. However its a lot easier to get contingency if your car or the bus breaks down at Loughlinstown then if the DART breaks down in a tunnel between Greystones & Bray.

Ah here - how often has the DART broken down in that tunnel

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ah here - how often has the DART broken down in that tunnel

Fair enough. I get the DART every day and it's hugely reliable nowadays (wasn't when I first started getting it in the mid '90s from Bray). All I was saying is that if it were me, and if my kids were doing the Leaving Cert, I'd be dropping them to the school and I think judging by the number of students on the DART these mornings, that's what most parents are doing. I wasn't trying to be critical of the DART at all.

Advertisement