Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

References

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

Hi quick Question

What does a first time renter do for references?

I was travelling after college and now am at family home to get savings up.

want to move out and get an appartment. The issue of references has risen its head. i can get a work reference but i dont have previous renting paperwork.

What can i do:rolleyes:

thanks a million

D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

When I rented first most were happy to accept my work reference. Id been in my job for about 6 years at that point though so Im not sure if that had a bearing.

Not much more you can do really; if they insist on previous landlord references and you havent got them then so be it. Unless they will accept a letter from your mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Just tell them you have never rented before.

Or just make one up, put down a friend or your mother (obviously use her maiden name) as the pretend landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

omega666 wrote: »
    Just tell them you have never rented before.

Or just make one up, put down a friend or your mother (obviously use her maiden name) as the pretend landlord.
    I wouldn't advise that, any decent professional LL will follow up references from previous LLs with a phone call, get caught out and you lose the place for sure.

The LL just wants to know you are a decent sort who won't thrash the place, a character reference from someone of standing will suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

I wouldn't advise that, any decent professional LL will follow up references from previous LLs with a phone call, get caught out and you lose the place for sure.

The LL just wants to know you are a decent sort who won't thrash the place, a character reference from someone of standing will suffice.

References are always asked for but i find very rarely followed up.
    From personal experience i've only ever come across one landlord who
    followed up. I think it's more just for piece of mind they are asked for.

In the unlikely even that they do follow up then all they are looking for is confirmation that they renter lived there and that there was no problems.
    It's not an interview, there's no much to get caught out on.

Advertisement