Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need to register?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am trying to answer a few questions I have around company registration but I am running into brick walls.

What I want to is:
    I have an app that will be offered free of charge worldwide
    There will be potential for advertising revenue
    The app has been developed as a partnership between 2 people

I'd like the app name to be separate from the business name, so I'd like to have the company as the developer which is separate from the app name.

My questions are:
    Do I need to register a company or can I simply register a business name?
    Is there a revenue threshold for paying VAT/CT?
    As a part time venture this will be run from home, are there any consequences of doing this?

Thanks for the advice, if you need any clarification on the above please ask!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭ian87

If registered for vat the threshold is something in the region of 55,000 Im led to believe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

You do not need to register a company, a business name registration would be fine depending on the size of the business.

Whether or not you need to register for VAT would depend on a number of factors such as whether or not the customers are located in the EU or outside the EU. Presumably they are non registered consumers and not business. The registration threshold would be €37,500 for EU customers. Non Eu customers would not count towards this threshold as the place of supply of such services would be outside the EU and therefore outside the scope of Irish VAT.

Kind Regards

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

dbran wrote: »
    Hi

You do not need to register a company, a business name registration would be fine depending on the size of the business.

Whether or not you need to register for VAT would depend on a number of factors such as whether or not the customers are located in the EU or outside the EU. Presumably they are non registered consumers and not business. The registration threshold would be €37,500 for EU customers. Non Eu customers would not count towards this threshold as the place of supply of such services would be outside the EU and therefore outside the scope of Irish VAT.

Kind Regards

dbran
    Many thanks, that's been quite helpful!

How can we go about submitting a trademark application for the app name?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Thanks for the advice so far, v insightful.
    Does anyone know if there is any reason not to have the app name the same as the registered business name?

Would this block us form developing other apps?

• Advertisement
Advertisement