Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build

Options
  • 13-06-2012 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

This will be the first time I will be building a computer. I already have an idea of what i want but also wanted to see what the people here suggest in case there is a cheaper or better build for my budget.

1. What is your budget? €450-500
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Games (Skyrim Hitmanan Minecraft)
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Hard drive
    5. Do you need a monitor? No
    6. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? I will be buying one at a separate time
    7. Do you need any of these peripherals? No
    8. Are you willing to try overclocking? If easy and gets a good bit more performance.
    9. How can you pay? Whatever
    10. When are you purchasing? Depending on total price, preferably next 3-4 weeks
    11. If you need help building it, where are you based? Navan Meath
    Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Something like this would be great:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€108.49
    ASRock B75M, Sockel 1155, mATX|€60.36
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€38.75
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.19
    Powercolor HD6870 1024MB Dual-DVI/HD1M2I5|€139.94
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.23
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€18.89
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€459.84

If you wanted to spend a bit more, go for this:

Item|Price
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€38.75
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€42.19
    Powercolor HD6870 1024MB Dual-DVI/HD1M2I5|€139.94
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.23
    LiteOn iHAS124-19 schwarz SATA|€18.89
    ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€91.79
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€108.49
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€491.27

That includes a motherboard that will let you overclock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭ooPabsoo

Eboggles wrote: »
    That includes a motherboard that will let you overclock.

You can't overclock i3 processors.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

ooPabsoo wrote: »
    You can't overclock i3 processors.

Good for future upgrade-ability though.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭glennb

Will the i3 be able to run most games smoothly. I was thinking of an i5 but the mobo is not as good with the build i was thinking of.

glennb wrote: »
    Will the i3 be able to run most games smoothly. I was thinking of an i5 but the mobo is not as good with the build i was thinking of.

i3 performs very well compared to an i5, with not very large difference between the two, as in 5-15%. And when you factor in that it's 50% cheaper it's a great buy. Most games are relying more in the GPU anyway, so the gap isn't going to increase.
    That said the 3570k is a monster processor and you should go for it if you have the funds, as it will be more future-proof due to 4 cores and overclocking.

Corei32120_Corei52400_47.jpg

Crysis 2 is a GPU limited game, so the processor doesn't really matter. More games are becoming like this, so any relatively new quad or dual should be up to the task.

Here's other examples:

Corei32120_Corei52400_49.jpg

Corei32120_Corei52400_48.jpg

• Advertisement

Something like this would do you perfect. I know it's slightly over budget but it's worth it imo...

Untitled.png

Something like this would do you perfect. I know it's slightly over budget but it's worth it imo...

Untitled.png

Try Hardwareversand, the build you just posted is nearly identical to my €490 build but mine is €40 cheaper.

And that PSU is overkill ;).

Eboggles wrote: »
    Try Hardwareversand, the build you just posted is nearly identical to my €490 build but mine is €40 cheaper.

And that PSU is overkill ;).

Yeah I seen your €490 spec. Personally I think it's worth the extra 40 euro though.

The extra 40 goes towards the case, RAM, and PSU.

The Antec 300 is a very good case for the price, faster RAM, and higher powered PSU in case of future upgrades. I think it's worth the extra cash, and plus, the one thing you really shouldn't skimp on is the PSU. Corsair are an excellent brand, so imo it's worth the extra monies :)

Yeah I seen your €490 spec. Personally I think it's worth the extra 40 euro though.

The extra 40 goes towards the case, RAM, and PSU.

The Antec 300 is a very good case for the price, faster RAM, and higher powered PSU in case of future upgrades. I think it's worth the extra cash, and plus, the one thing you really shouldn't skimp on is the PSU. Corsair are an excellent brand, so imo it's worth the extra monies :)
    The Antec 300 isn't better than the merc, and definitely not better than the shinobi (same price as 300).

That RAM isn't faster, there's no way anyone would notice it in real-life scenarios.

Corsair's PSUs are great, I accept that, but the builder series aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 i like crackers

I would get i3 personaly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement