Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some Photos C&C

• 13-06-2012 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have been into photography now for about 2 years and am coming to a stage where I don't know if I am even any good at it. I like it so much and love learning new things and am thinking about doing some photography classes.

Just wondering am I wasting my time?!
    A few from my Flickr photostream
    Thanks in advance

7349638968_4ec3f990af_c.jpg
    Sandymount by GL Photography, on Flickr

7167456145_71904ba2fc_c.jpg
    Deep Thoughts by GL Photography, on Flickr

7326665024_a133edeabf_c.jpg
    Inniscrone Beach by GL Photography, on Flickr

7304571392_fbe007c510_c.jpg
    Untitled by GL Photography, on Flickr

7286320612_8b55900723_c.jpg
    Dublin by GL Photography, on Flickr

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    1st comment- post them in larger size as it's not easy to see details with the size you posted.

1. I like this , nice in B&W and I like the composition and the left hand side (would have been easy to crop this out). But the chimneys are too small/far away. I viewd it in largest size in Flickr and it's more impressive there.

2. The 'far away hills' are a bit hazy/not sharp. It could be just me but there's something off-putting about the person sitting, looks like he's/she's depressed or something from their posture. (probably on a smartphone though).

3. I like this expect that the blue looks a bit over saturised. otherwise very simple but visually nice (like a rothko painting somewhat).

4. too dark for me and the bord gais sign too white. Nice idea though.

5. nice sky but buildings like silhouettes which doesn't work for me.

I'm sure people will reply saying if you enjoy it you're not wasting your time. I like them overall.

Cheers,
    pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Hey,

I have edited the post with larger photos. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks for the feedback. This is what I need as people on Flickr are too nice and there's no real constructive criticism.

Appreciate the time you took to look at them and will take your comments onboard.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

1. Its a common enough shot of the chimneys but in this case they are much too far away and it doesn't really lead the eye into the picture. For it to work I'd crop most of the sand out and make it almost like a panorama, but I do like the black and white.

2. One of the best in the bunch. There seems to be a lot more to see and the framing is thoughtful and certainly eye catching. The mountains look great and its got some really nice clarity yet still manages to keep a soft haziness making it stand out more.

3. Not too sure about this one, I like the blues and the warmness of the sand but there is not enough going on in the picture. You can kind of make out waves and my eyes are telling me I want to see the waves but they are so far off its a bit of a shame. Also it feels like its been too artificially saturated at first glance.

4. I like shots of the energy theater but this is far too dark even for my own dark tastes. That area has a lot of nice glass and metal work but it gets lost in the darkness of the chosen processing. Nice framing though.

5. I like the parts of the sky and frame that are not cast in shadow and the sky looks great but there is too much shadow obstructing the warm feeling the picture is trying to give out. It's down to personal tastes really I would just liked to have seen more definition on the surrounding buildings.

Overall I quite like them but since you said you were after constructive criticism I thought I'd oblige. You definitely won't get proper criticism on flickr, don't get me wrong I love the site and actively post on a lot of groups. There is just a serious lack or proper feedback so you were right to post here. :)

Thanks for the comments. Very constructive and I appreciate them.
    Both replies have given me alot to think about. It's the only way I'll improve.
    Keep em coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

some groups on Flickr will give better comments than 'i like it', 'don't like it'-
    hit, miss, maybe, why

See here for a page about exactly what you're asking for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i like them :D
    the beach one is just a tad too saturated though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

The second shot 'Deep Thoughts' is super, it stands out a mile to me. Really well shot and nicely processed. It's the smallest bit crooked but apart from that, super!!

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

Love them all man :D The dark one of the Gais theater really appeals to me and normally I love colour in my photographs. Keep it up!

dinneenp wrote: »
    some groups on Flickr will give better comments than 'i like it', 'don't like it'-
    hit, miss, maybe, why

See here for a page about exactly what you're asking for.

Brilliant. Thanks. Exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the all the feedback!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I think you've gone a bit too far on the skies in most of them, way too dark and too contrasty for my liking.

I do like the second picture though, except for the slightly excessive green tint.

• Advertisement

Thanks for your comments.

I guess one thing I have learned is that some people will like your work and some people won't. Everyone has different tastes and opinions.

Also if you enjoy doing something then it's worth doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

is my favourite
    nice shot
    well worth the long hike:D

Advertisement