Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mango

Options
  • 13-06-2012 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

So, was in the shop the other day, contemplating what to have for dinner, when we spotted mango.

We decided to have some tuna, with pineapple and mango "salsa".

Did the fish in soy, garlic, lime and chilli, and chopped up mango, pineapple and some grape to about the size of sweetcorn ears, added some more lime juice and spooned it over the cooked fish. Served it with crunchy green beans and boiled baby potatoes in butter, lovely dinner altogether, nice and fresh and summery.

The question is this.

What consistency should a mango have when purchasing from the shop.

When is it perfectly ripe?

some felt quite hard, others felt very squashy, almost as if they were liquid under the skin.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

http://www.mango.org/retail/how-choose-mango

you really should listen to your wife!! She knows how to use google

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Some people check mangos for ripeness by pressing them with their thumb. I can't find a picture of a mango, but this shows the method quite well...

stock-photo-19027941-marriage-under-the-thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

I grew up in South America and the Caribbean where mangoes are everywhere and I have yet to find a decent mango in Ireland. They are picked before they are ripe so that they can be transported easily but that means that they never ripen properly.

A ripe mango is firm yet it yields slightly when gently pressed with your thumb. However, this tends to bruise the fruit and cause it to go off quicker. I can tell a ripe mango by sniffing it.

Advertisement