Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a Firewall or not?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have a small business with a lot of information on our server and have recently gotten the UPC 100mb broadband, I have been told that the UPC router a Cisco model: EPC3925 has a good enough firewall and I didn't need to upgrade my Sonicwall to cope with the 100mb speed. Just worried I might not be covered sufficiently?

Anyone with more technical savvy have any advice? much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Hi,

Welcome to boards... :)

Re your setup,let's look at two aspects:

-security: Sonicwall has a very good gateway security software running on the box itself ! That will analyze and manage all traffic inside / outside.If your business deals with confidential ,sensitive information i highly recommend to get a Sonicwall device with the Total Security option enabled.Is doing the job if properly configured ,is receiving up to minute updates and..it needs annual subscription to be paid !

-speed/performance: some older models have the maximum WAN speed of 30-40M,hardware coded ! The only way to get advantage of latest faster speeds is to upgrade the hardware box or keep using it at the lower speed.

I reckon that any other router does the job,as long the WAN interface is working at 100M as minimum !

Have a look at Sonicwall Comparing tool here !
    In your case,i will get a NSA (if security required) or a TZ series (205 maybe) and that will do the job.
    Get a price on the hardware itself and for Total Security for one year.
    Also,optional,go for the VPN Client if you need to allow working from out of office !!

I can give you a quote for both,if you confirm how many users you have on the LAN side.

Regards

Advertisement