Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Details Misused by Car Rental Company

Options
  • 13-06-2012 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Wondering if anyone can give me some advise on the below issue.
    I recently booked to rent a car with a rental company in Manchester Airport, when i got to the desk that morning they said that the handle of the safe had broken off with the all the keys inside and i would have to rent with another company. They stated that my booking would be cancelled and I would not be charged anything, this was not a pre-booked car I was going to be paying the total amount when returning the car. Checked my credit card yesterday to find 2 €50.58 amounts charged to my card from the company. I rang customer service and they said these were £40 no show fees. The issue here is 1 was for me in Manchester airport (which is fine) but the other was for some random person in Heathrow Airport that was a no show, they even gave me the persons name over the phone and everything. They are planning on refunding the amounts to my card but what I want to know is have they broken any data protection acts assigning my card details to anther person who didn't show up to rent a car. Customer services said it was a local issue and had to be done by the company in the airport but i don't understand how my details could have ended up in Heathrow when I have never rented a car from there.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sounds like a genuine error that they are willing to put right.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Looks like someone else might have used your credit card details, or else the other persons details got misentered.

Either way the company is refunding your card, and sorting out the mess. If you are really concerned, you should contact your bank and ask for a new card.

Advertisement