Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HL maths q8 P2 ...cancelled?

• 13-06-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

I've heard from somebody that LC HL P2 maths Q 8 isint going to be counted,
    Does anybody know If this is true,and if so how are the marks going to be awarded now??Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭iliketwixbars

I've heard from somebody that LC HL P2 maths Q 8 isint going to be counted,
    Does anybody know If this is true,and if so how are the marks going to be awarded now??Thanks :)

From who did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 JailB8 xoxo

bull****

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Random_Person

Source? I seriously doubt this to be the case but stranger things have happened..

on the other hand, lord please let this be true, you will bump up my grade so much :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

My life would be complete if this were the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I did well at that one for a change so it better not be cancelled!!

If a vast percentage of the country don't get it some of the marks might be moved elsewhere, but not to any massive degree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Wkds

I heard this also. Hopefully it's true :)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

It wouldn't be fair on the people who might have spent a long time on it so it's doubtful. I spent a good while on it and if they cancel it then it would be like they only gave me an hour and three quarters to do the paper and people who didn't answer at all would have had a massive advantage over me. Wouldn't surprised me if they ****ed students over though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Smells of bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 wherewasslyvia

reznov wrote: »
    Smells of bull.

Yeah I agree,another student said they heard it in the radio and from a teacher??

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

This would make me so so happy. Still did sh*t in teh rest though lawl, sure cancel question 3 aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

If this is true I'll cry with delight. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

If anyone has any actual proof, put it in the thread!

I'm hearing a lot of rumours going around about questions being cancelled, but they are all probably just started by students. I would say they will move the marks around a lot eg for question 3, they will probably only have small marks for the actual k value, with the majority being for correct methods/attempts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭justBlake

i call bs. btw how do you do that q3? i just made up a center point for the circle and wored from there and square root of 15

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Same as others, I call bullsh1t on this too!

This could be coming from the fact that sinn fein were complaining about the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

There's probably speculation going around from teachers and the media and someone has taken this up as fact. If everyone found the question difficult, they will readjust the marking scheme so you get more marks for the attempts you make, or less marks going for the most difficult part of the question. The papers will be marked fairly as they always have been, so don't worry about it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Any sources?

What happens if people just did 5 questions, are they just marking it out of 250? Highly doubt they're not counting it, it's never happened before and I'm sure there have been worst questions.

As a matter of interest, is integration on the course next year? If it's not then that's obviously why they made it so difficult this year. :cool:

Edit: The most likely thing they'll do is give less marks for 8 (c) if they need to to make people's grades go up, which they might not because it was a nice paper overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What probably happened is that someone heard about the way that the marking scheme is adjusted to account for the difficulty of questions and whether through chinese whispers or wishful thinking they changed "Adjusted marking scheme" to "cancelled question".

They can't cancel a question outright as that may put certain people at a disadvantage. If someone got Q8 right but didn't do so well on other sections of the paper it would be the opposite of fair to punish them for doing well on a question that most of the country found difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

Togepi wrote: »
    Any sources?

What happens if people just did 5 questions, are they just marking it out of 250? Highly doubt they're not counting it, it's never happened before and I'm sure there have been worst questions.

As a matter of interest, is integration on the course next year? If it's not then that's obviously why they made it so difficult this year. :cool:

Intergration is on it next year, unless I am mistaken. They are dumbing down the course ridiculously but they can't really take out one of the most important sections. Why couldn't they have just changed the pass course to project maths. It seems counter intuitive to change the course for people who like maths, to a more English/wordy one. GAH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Pepperr wrote: »
    Intergration is on it next year, unless I am mistaken. They are dumbing down the course ridiculously but they can't really take out one of the most important sections. Why couldn't they have just changed the pass course to project maths. It seems counter intuitive to change the course for people who like maths, to a more English/wordy one. GAH!

They should've introduced another level, in between higher and ordinary, even though that would result in four different levels Maths. The gap between higher and ordinary is way to big anyway. I've done both, and it's mental, would be even harder if I had to do both papers from the old course. The gap between higher and ordinary is too big for nearly all subjects I'd say, except maybe English.

The whole Leaving Cert needs a reform. We should only have about four subjects, and then make ordinary (and probably higher) level harder for everything, with points in each subject weighted for each college course. ;)

• Advertisement

Integration is being reduced a lot though. No substitution or anything. They've replaced with all this crap financial maths that takes forever to teach apparently. We got off easy this year, next year is going to be hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

They can't take a question out. I was talking to a teacher who teaches Maths and Accounting and he makes the Marking Schemes for Accounting. He says that If a question is allocated a certain ammount of marks there is nothing they can do to change that or it would jepordise the validility of the state exams. The can do anything they want within the questions, they can give 70 marks for the draw a rainbow bit at the end if they want and then 1 mark for all the other parts but because it says 75 marks it is definately going to be 75 marks nothing will change that. They would move all the marks to the a parts if they had to but would never remove or change the marks that have been defined on a question.

He also said if they did something like that colleges all over the world would stop accepting an Irish education for entrance because it would be worth f all if the SEC went that far to make people pass, it would just show that the students arent throught properly and dont know enough.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

GarIT wrote: »
    They can't take a question out. I was talking to a teacher who teaches Maths and Accounting and he makes the Marking Schemes for Accounting. He says that If a question is allocated a certain ammount of marks there is nothing they can do to change that or it would jepordise the validility of the state exams. The can do anything they want within the questions, they can give 70 marks for the draw a rainbow bit at the end if they want and then 1 mark for all the other parts but because it says 75 marks it is definately going to be 75 marks nothing will change that. They would move all the marks to the a parts if they had to but would never remove or change the marks that have been defined on a question.

He also said if they did something like that colleges all over the world would stop accepting an Irish education for entrance because it would be worth f all if the SEC went that far to make people pass, it would just show that the students arent throught properly and dont know enough.
    +1

If they do cancel the question, It'll result in other chancers whinging about a difficult exam to the media in the hope of the same thing happening!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The SEC will not be 'cancelling' any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mathstalk

Fúck my life! I always do well in the weird questions and mess up the easy ones. This is why it annoys me when they go moving marks around. What about the people who did get it right? And not only that, but who probably neglected other questions to get the hard ones out.

SEC, please, pick a mark for each question and stick to it, and if you don't think anybody will get it, then why put it on a paper given to everybody? And there I was, wasting time on Q8, thinking I was catching the golden snitch of Project Maths, grrr…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

There's no way they could have gauged student's responses to the question yet, so there's no way it's cancelled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

mathstalk wrote: »
    Fúck my life! I always do well in the weird questions and mess up the easy ones. This is why it annoys me when they go moving marks around. What about the people who did get it right? And not only that, but who probably neglected other questions to get the hard ones out.

SEC, please, pick a mark for each question and stick to it, and if you don't think anybody will get it, then why put it on a paper given to everybody? And there I was, wasting time on Q8, thinking I was catching the golden snitch of Project Maths, grrr…

In Maths the number of marks is on each question. In the marking confrence they may move marks from C parts to A parts to make the exam easier to pass, but they are not allowed to move marks from one question to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Akanthia

i would die of happiness if this happened it may push me over the pass line!:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭sullanefc

Not sure if its true but this guy usually knows his stuff.
    http://www.projectmaths.com/index.php/news-comments/

Question not cancelled but marks have been significantly changed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

sullanefc wrote: »
    Not sure if its true but this guy usually knows his stuff.
    http://www.projectmaths.com/index.php/news-comments/

Reads like it was taken from boards. He's not exactly an unbiased source.

Advertisement