Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could you forgive your mother for doing this to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

With enough reflection, you would.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

davet82 wrote: »

Short version for mobile users: Mother by accident started fire which burned her child.
    Mother in great remorse due to heavy defacement/scaring of child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It was a terrible accident. It's not like her mother intentionally harmed her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It was an accident, she did not want to hurt her child so yes I probably would forgive her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Holy crap.. a warning wouldn't have been unwelcome there!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

No

It was a terrible accident. It's not like her mother intentionally harmed her.

Get out of my head, we are thinking the same thing.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Biggins wrote: »
    Short version for mobile users: Mother accident started fire which burned her child.
    Mother in great remorse due to heavy defacement/scaring of child.

Short version for mobile users: mother leaves a fag beside baby putting her to bed, lets her cry herself to sleep and eventually checks on her to find her with 90% burns abandons child afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Yeah I would, it was a really unfortunate accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

It was an accident so yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Jesus, that is terrible for mother and child. Why would you leave a lit cigarette down though?

Good that they're getting some semblance of a normal relationship together.

EDIT: Forgot to answer the question, yes I would, it was an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 walnut grove

Over time she will realise that her mam never woke up that morning thinking that she was going to roast her daughter stupidly with a cigarette. On the other hand, smoking around kids should accompany a prison sentence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I might forgive her for causing the fire but the fact that she stayed away from me for so long afterwards would be much harder to get over. It's hard to work out why she stayed estranged for so long as the article skims around the details but if the child and the child's father weren't demanding she stay away, and she didn't seem to be in jail or obeying a court order, then it seems to have been her own decision. I can understand how much guilt she would have felt and how staying and being the child's mother would have been torture for her but she needed to accept that and be there for her daughter. Hiding from it was just cowardly.

Holy crap.. a warning wouldn't have been unwelcome there!

apologies, the image is quite upsetting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

A smoking mother of newborn child? Why would you quit for 9 months then go straight back on the fags?! I would forgive her but why was she smoking with the child anyways. Totally careless but it was an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I dont think I could!

I don't think I can forgive your mother for having you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Over time she will realise that her mam never woke up that morning thinking that she was going to roast her daughter stupidly with a cigarette. On the other hand, smoking around kids should accompany a prison sentence.
    Good idea. And the death penalty for people drinking alcohol around kids too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

I would like to think that I would.

It happened when the child was young, so she would probably not remember a time that she did not have this disfigurement. It was an unfortunate accident albeit with hoffific consequences for the child, but it was not done on purpose or maliciously. So I reckon that the mother has had a hard enough time living with and continuing to live the guilt of what has happened. No amount of grude holding is going to make a difference, it would only make the child bitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Another article makes it clear that the mother did abandon her daughter in the months following the fire. She says it was too hard to deal with so she cut all contact and moved away.

“She got on with it and I struggled, which says a lot about her. I just thought, ‘I cannot go back, I cannot see her like that’. If I was not there, I could not see her and if I could not see her, then the guilt might not be so bad.”

Now that I think is unforgivable. It wasn't accident to turn her back on her child and abscond from the responsibility of being there for her throughout her recovery.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/324125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭starlit

That sort of thing would frighten the life out of me. Scary to think something like that would happen.

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    I don't think I can forgive your mother for having you.

Dad?

I can't see OP link as it's blocked at work, but if it was an accident, I guess so. But abandoning her for 10 years? No I think I would have a lot of trouble with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I honestly think the guilt of doing that to any child, never mind my own would be too much for me to bear. It'd be the locked room with a bottle of whiskey and a revolver time I think.

We certainly left our daughter cry herself to sleep a few times when getting her used to her own room (though we'd have done the "go in every 5/10/15 minutes" method). Then again, I'd never smoke around a baby, try to keep out of the way of children when I'm smoking outdoors and as such, this would never have happened my daughter.

Could I forgive a parent who (a) did that to me and (b) abandoned me afterwards? No, I couldn't and tbh, had I been the father I suspect I'd still be in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Dad?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

How can anyone who read the article say it was an Accident?

She Was smoking while putting a child to bed and then left the lit cig down, left the room and ignored the screams of her childs flesh burning.

Thats not an accident FFS thats criminal neglect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

You can't leave cigarettes in a room. Every night I check my boys room to make sure its ok, you never know what they find and hide during the day. You just don't take chances with children, they need you to protect them and keep them safe.

Does anybody remember the story of Melanie grimsley. Her mum popped into the shop and the car burst into flames killing her little sister and burning Melanie really badly. Despite horrific injuries, she has managed to make a "normal life for herself" , she has a book coming out with would be a great read, always very humbling to read an experience like this.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/woman/life/melanie-grimsleys-miracle-16083551.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I still don't forgive my mother for making me wear a horrible duffle coat to school when I was 8, so I definitely wouldn't forgive her for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I don't think it's a question of the daughter forgiving the mother, but more a case of the mother forgiving herself.

It was an accident, sure, but could you look at your child knowing you were at fault for her horrific scarring? The teenager is quite badly scarred and bald. Every time the mother looks at her she's reminded of that one incredibly stupid mistake she made.

It's a horribly stupid situation and the mother needs to accept her guilt, try to move on, and build bridges with her daughter before their relationship is ruined forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Poor kid. I can't imagine what life must be like to have such bad burns like that.
    Stories like this always makes me reflect on how easy I really have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

The image of her at 4 years old is heartbreaking. Ridiculously upsetting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I think you would have to be a child to understand why you would forgive your mother for this... I imagine i would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Stupid bitch. 'I considered suicide for what I did to her' shouldn't have ****ing done it then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

I would rather a bullet in my brain than go around with those horrific injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm not sure. I think I'd probably always be bitter because to be fair, the poor girls life is ruined.

At the same time I'd appreciate and respect the fact that it was an accident and that she was sorry, but I think it'd still be a really hard thing to get over.

That girl sounds like such a strong person.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Stupid bitch. 'I considered suicide for what I did to her' shouldn't have ****ing done it then.

She did not do it on purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭guppy

Sleepy wrote: »
    We certainly left our daughter cry herself to sleep a few times when getting her used to her own room (though we'd have done the "go in every 5/10/15 minutes" method). Then again, I'd never smoke around a baby, try to keep out of the way of children when I'm smoking outdoors and as such, this would never have happened my daughter.

I did the same for a time, so I don't blame the mother for that. However, there is a HUGE difference between the cries of an infant who doesn't want a nap, and one suffering in agony. Anyone can tell the difference.

Would I forgive my mother, hard to say really, but given a child's desire to be loved by their parents, probably I would. As I grew older, I would probably develop a deep seated hatred of her for leaving me for what I consider incredibly selfish reasons though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

hondasam wrote: »
    She did not do it on purpose.

Bad times on her. Shouldn't smoke round a child, should have remembered when she left her cigarette. Hope the guilt never leaves her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

The mother didn't do it on purpose. So I don't see why not

Jester252 wrote: »
    The mother didn't do it on purpose. So I don't see why not

you dont see why not :confused:

i doubt it

Terrible!
    Yes i would forgive an accident, the abandonment, not so much.

• Advertisement
Advertisement