Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new farmer

• 13-06-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭

lads im looking on behalf of a friend she owns a farm which was left to her by her husband its a 300 acre property its a dairy farm and hasnt been farmed in 7 years shes hoping to give it to her son when he turns 18 as she has no intrest.
    i was wondering how he would start off i know this sounds a bit odd but hes only 15 and still thinking bout getting in to farming but anu help would be appriceted sorry for spelling mistakes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭KCTK

syconerd wrote: »
    lads im looking on behalf of a friend she owns a farm which was left to her by her husband its a 300 acre property its a dairy farm and hasnt been farmed in 7 years shes hoping to give it to her son when he turns 18 as she has no intrest.
    i was wondering how he would start off i know this sounds a bit odd but hes only 15 and still thinking bout getting in to farming but anu help would be appriceted sorry for spelling mistakes

Good god, where to start off, a thousand different places, 1st I'd say make sure son does leaving cert, if he definately want to go farming then go to ag college for a while, get trained up some bit as I take it from your post this woman and her son are currently not farming this farm. Maybe get him a bit of summer or weekend work on a local dairy farm also to see if he is definately interested in it.

Another thing to remember is that it may not be a simple as just transferring it straight to him when he turns 18, could be a large tax bill if the lady can not avail of retirement relief (if under 55) from CGT, could be CAT if farm worth over €2.5m for the son, stamp duty as he will not be a "young trained farmer", list could go on and on. Maybe they should talk to somebody in their local Teagasc office who should be able to give them some bit of advice for their situation and where all the details can be discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Set it for a few years. Get him to college and emigrate for a while or work or something. Make sure he has some life experience before he starts to farm. The worst thing to do would be to put pressure on him to farm. 300 acres seems like alot to plunge into without any experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

Set it for a few years. Get him to college and emigrate for a while or work or something. Make sure he has some life experience before he starts to farm. The worst thing to do would be to put pressure on him to farm. 300 acres seems like alot to plunge into without any experience!
    +1 to this.. he'll need a few years after school to get his head to settle..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

as ive no connections to farmiing this sounds like good advice and my thoughts exactly it would be better if he went off seen a bit of life first as u say before settling down to farm but i see ur point and go and chat to someone bout tax advice many thanks for the info lads
    john.

Advertisement