Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Applied Maths 2012 Before/After**

• 13-06-2012 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I know it's not for another week, but sure why not!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

What questions are people doing? 1,2,3,4,5,10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

Same, I think most schools only do them questions. Our teacher tried to do the Statics (Q7) with us as a backup but not much effort was put into it!

Hoping for an easy enough Q2, I suck at those river questions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

ganon wrote: »
    What questions are people doing? 1,2,3,4,5,10 for me

I hate question 2 and I'll try to avoid it.

If I had to sit this exam right now I'd be so screwed :L

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

1,2,3,4,5,8 and 10.
    I like to have a backup question and the rigid body rotation has grown on me quite a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

1, 3, 4, 5, 9, 10. Got no backups. Our teach decided to just cover these in detail. Hopefully there's nothing weird on the paper!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

I kinda wish we did simple harmonic motion due to the overlap with physics. It's not too bad on the physics paper though. I've totally neglected app math for like 3 weeks :P

Thought I would leave this here for people who don't know about it.

http://www.thephysicsteacher.ie/index.html

It has exam questions back into the 1970's with solutions, but I use it for the notes it has on each of the topics! Great stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

How guaranteed is a wedge for Q4?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

1,2,3,4,5 and 10 for me too.

I asked this a while ago but no one seemed to know, anyone hear anything about limits in q10? :)

1,2,3,4,5 and 10 for me too.

I asked this a while ago but no one seemed to know, anyone hear anything about limits in q10? :)

That's a fairly vague statement xD I haven't heard anything being changed, maybe you could be more specific?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

finality wrote: »
    I hate question 2 and I'll try to avoid it.

If I had to sit this exam right now I'd be so screwed :L

I would fail, those 2 days are crucial :p

Going into the exam without a backup is crazy.. (in the words of Aidan Roantre aka the pimp aka the applied maths god aka the king)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Well so far I can do none...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Going into the exam without a backup is crazy.. (in the words of Aidan Roantre aka the pimp aka the applied maths god aka the king)

Ah it's not though :L I've only ever had 6 questions (1,2,3,4,5,10) and the lowest I ever got in Applied Maths is 93% :pac:

But I have to agree with the fact that Aidan Roantree is quite a teacher! He still doesn't beat my teacher though, he's an absolute genius :P

Wesc. wrote: »
    Ah it's not though :L I've only ever had 6 questions (1,2,3,4,5,10) and the lowest I ever got in Applied Maths is 93% :pac:

But I have to agree with the fact that Aidan Roantree is quite a teacher! He still doesn't beat my teacher though, he's an absolute genius :P

Evidently not, if he only taught you 6 :p

But seriously, how can you rely on Q 10. when this year it's going to be something new?

Evidently not, if he only taught you 6 :p

But seriously, how can you rely on Q 10. when this year it's going to be something new?

Haha he did SHM with us too but it would have taken me too much effort to understand it :L But yeah he's really really smart :pac:

Q10 is my best question probably! It's not going to be that new, substitution was taken off the course but that's it. They'll just ask you the same thing but you just integrate it differently, like using the tan or sin integrals. It won't be that bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hiccuper

Praying for an easy Q3b, I always make a mistake somewhere in the sea of sines and cosines that comes out of that question.

Hiccuper wrote: »
    Praying for an easy Q3b, I always make a mistake somewhere in the sea of sines and cosines that comes out of that question.

Exactly, half of the questions I do I mess up the very beginning and the rest is unmarkable :P If I get an angle as taninverse 3 you can be sure I will read it as 1/3 and get the sin/cos mixed up :P

My teach said that something about temperature could come up for Q10, or possibly something to do with half life. The hardest part is writing the info as an equation, but after that it should be simple integration! It could be anything really though...

Edit* Didn't mean to scare anyone, nobody really knows what is coming up, these were just examples. More than likely will be something much more basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Hiccuper

They can ask about half life?

• Advertisement

More than likely not, she just tried to cover as many possible integration examples as possible, they were all based around the change in one variable vs another.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Hiccuper wrote: »
    They can ask about half life?

If they did I'd imagine they'd have to explain it or at least ask it in a way that didn't require much understanding of what is is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Mani09

For those of you who are happy to get a C in applied maths If u only know 6 questions (not including question 8) learn the 3 proofs for question 8..... There piss easy and guaranteed to come up every year. Also there worth 20/50 marks so you've already passed the question

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Can second order differentiation still come up or is that a thing of the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 clio94

Only have Q 1,2,3,4,5 & 10 prepared but planning on learning the Q 7 theorems if I get stuck .. Expecting a wedge this year maybe ?

clio94 wrote: »
    Only have Q 1,2,3,4,5 & 10 prepared but planning on learning the Q 7 theorems if I get stuck .. Expecting a wedge this year maybe ?

Hopefully! The wedge is fairly easy once you know the formulas, can get 25/30 in that without much trying. You can get lucky with an easy last part too!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

I'm studying app. maths by myself so I chose 1, 3,4,5,10 and circular motion/shm (dont remember what q this is :P )

2 is my backup but I don't like it very much. :S

Hopefully we'll get a nice set of questions and PLEASE, give me a basic SHM question, PLEASE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 clio94

Pepperr wrote: »
    Hopefully! The wedge is fairly easy once you know the formulas, can get 25/30 in that without much trying. You can get lucky with an easy last part too!

Yeah they're all pretty do able .. If we had the time you could easily get full marks in each question! In the middle of rushing, trying to work out what they are looking for & doing the maths I always seem to make some stupid mistake :P

Especially question 5 .. So easy to make a slight slip up!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

clio94 wrote: »
    Pepperr wrote: »

Yeah they're all pretty do able .. If we had the time you could easily get full marks in each question! In the middle of rushing, trying to work out what they are looking for & doing the maths I always seem to make some stupid mistake :P

Especially question 5 .. So easy to make a slight slip up!

So true! The time constraints in this exam are definitely gonna feck me over!!! How can you do each part in 12 minutes!? And if you make a mistake, you are utterly SCREWED for that question. There is no time to redo it.

Maybe I'm just slow.....

• Advertisement

This is my timing in applied maths.. it's a bit weird but works for me :P
    I try do every question in 17.5 minutes. So that's usually 7.5 mins for part (a) and then 10 mins for part (b).
    Then I have 45 minutes to look over the part (b)'s that I didn't get :D

Advertisement