Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Applied Maths 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 clio94

Wesc. wrote: »
    This is my timing in applied maths.. it's a bit weird but works for me :P
    I try do every question in 17.5 minutes. So that's usually 7.5 mins for part (a) and then 10 mins for part (b).
    Then I have 45 minutes to look over the part (b)'s that I didn't get :D

10 mins for part (b)'s is pretty tight, fair play if you can work them out that quick!

Hopefully there won't be too many questions that tie you down for too long .. Each question in under 25 mins :/

OR maybe our examiner might feel like being nice for the last exam of the year & give us an extra few mins :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

^^ naa you're not. Timing is tough in Am. Just enough time to get through it all if you make no mistakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

clio94 wrote: »
    10 mins for part (b)'s is pretty tight, fair play if you can work them out that quick!

Hopefully there won't be too many questions that tie you down for too long .. Each question in under 25 mins :/

OR maybe our examiner might feel like being nice for the last exam of the year & give us an extra few mins :D

Yeah I'm really fast at doing maths so that helps.. but like for the wedges it could take me up to 15 minutes! But that's because I'm really careful with them it's so easy to make a mistake that will ruin the rest of your answer!

My examiner usually doesn't mind us going a bit over the time so hopefully if needed I'll get that too in App Maths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Is everyone just doing exam papers?

Is everyone just doing exam papers?

I'm doing them for half of tomorrow then all of Thursday. I have the applied maths book by dominick donnelly which is really good so I'm doing questions off it atm.

Just curious, but what's everyone's favourite question in applied maths? :P Mine's probably relative motion Q2! Although so many hate I don't know why..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭ei.sderob

I've sorta convinced myself that app math is un studyable to an extent. GUILT FREE PROCRASTINATION!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

I'm doing them for half of tomorrow then all of Thursday. I have the applied maths book by dominick donnelly which is really good so I'm doing questions off it atm.

Just curious, but what's everyone's favourite question in applied maths? :P Mine's probably relative motion Q2! Although so many hate I don't know why..

1,3,4,5,7 and 10 are nice :L
    2 can be a bastard sometimes but is mostly good too :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

lads anyone know how to do those double integration questions from a parts in q10 where they give you d^2y/dx^2 and you're supposed to work out Y? :confused:

lads anyone know how to do those double integration questions from a parts in q10 where they give you d^2y/dx^2 and you're supposed to work out Y? :confused:

Usually let dy/dx = v.. then d^2y/dx^2 = dv/dx. Solve the equation with dv/dx to get a value for v. Then recall that v=dy/dx so solve it again and you got y :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Usually let dy/dx = v.. then d^2y/dx^2 = dv/dx. Solve the equation with dv/dx to get a value for v. Then recall that v=dy/dx so solve it again and you got y :)
    Yeah thats the way i'd do it but im just wondering can you do just integrate twice
    ?? O.o

• Advertisement

aarond280 wrote: »
    Yeah thats the way i'd do it but im just wondering can you do just integrate twice
    ?? O.o

Take this for example:

d^2y/dx^2 = y^3.... if you integrate it twice you'll just get something like y = something with just y's which wouldn't make sense.

Take this for example:

d^2y/dx^2 = y^3.... if you integrate it twice you'll just get something like y = something with just y's which wouldn't make sense.
    It works out 4/y = x^2
    But anyway can those questions not only be asked when its like d^2y/dx^2= 5 for example

sorry its 1/2y = x^2/2

It works out 4/y = x^2
    But anyway can those questions not only be asket when its like d^2y/dx^2= 5 for example

As in d^2y/dx^2 = a constant? No they can be asked with constants, x's, y's, s's you name it! But definitely don't integrate it twice.. otherwise everyone would be doing it like that!

As in d^2y/dx^2 = a constant? No they can be asked with constants, x's, y's, s's you name it! But definitely don't integrate it twice.. otherwise everyone would be doing it like that!
    Yeah i know you let dy/dx = v but i was just wondering if it could be done that way XD ah well I suppose that would be the easy way out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ganon

Yeah i know you let dy/dx = v but i was just wondering if it could be done that way XD ah well I suppose that would be the easy way out :rolleyes:
    Has this ever come up? Can someone name years if it has? Never looked at it before :/

ganon wrote: »
    Has this ever come up? Can someone name years if it has? Never looked at it before :/
    Nah i dont think it has just saying it can its in my book though

Has anyone a copy of the mock paper that didn't have the Q1 with the train (part a) and the tower (part b) :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BEP!

Does anyone know if there's anywhere to get marking schemes from before 2001? I think I've done most of the newer stuff

BEP! wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's anywhere to get marking schemes from before 2001? I think I've done most of the newer stuff

http://thephysicsteacher.ie/amsolutions.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭Dicksboro_man

2 days until the exam and i forgot NSEW directions... :-O

if it says N 30' E, does it mean the angle makes 30' with the x or the y axis? :P

2 days until the exam and i forgot NSEW directions... :-O

if it says N 30' E, does it mean the angle makes 30' with the x or the y axis? :P

30' with right side of y axis :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nmd64

So N30'E is the same as saying 30' East of North right?

I was just wondering do we have to derive any formulas for SHM, and do we have to derive the extra formulae for Question 3 (ie Max Range, Range, it's possibly to work out a formula for a general case but I can't remember if we have to derive them or not >< There could be marks going for the derivation that you lose if you just use something you've worked out before and learnt off).

nmd64 wrote: »

As far as I know N30'E is 30' North of East i.e. it makes an angle of 30' to positive x- axis

paddyhes wrote: »
    Has anyone a copy of the mock paper that didn't have the Q1 with the train (part a) and the tower (part b) :P

I have both mock papers that came up the debs and examcraft

I have both mock papers that came up the debs and examcraft

would you have a scanner to put them up? :P

nmd64 wrote: »

As far as I know N30'E is 30' North of East i.e. it makes an angle of 30' to positive x- axis

Nope almost sure that reads ''North 30' East''.
    So i'd say positive side of y axis.

which question do you want or do ya want them all :P
    oh and theres a reason most people dont have them some of them are pretty hard :O

Nope almost sure that reads ''North 30' East''.
    So i'd say positive side of y axis.
    so you mean 30' to the the y axis which means 60' to the x-axis ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

They are copyrighted. No scanning of papers is allowed.

Advertisement