Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Applied Maths 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Osric

aarond280 wrote: »
    paddyhes wrote: »
    so you mean 30' to the the y axis which means 60' to the x-axis ??

North x degrees East means you start facing north, and turn x degrees East

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

so you mean 30' to the the y axis which means 60' to the x-axis ??

yep :P

They are copyrighted. No scanning of papers is allowed.

My bad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kaet

So.. what's this about a new question 10 then? First I've heard, think I'd die of shock seeing something that hasn't come up every year since '82 so some mental preparation is needed..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Thank you!!! I never knew that it was possible to get these marking schemes :eek: Looks like tomorrow will be spent doing these! Thanks for linking that page... everyone I asked said it wasn't possible to get the marking schemes before 2000!

• Advertisement

Wesc. wrote: »
    Thank you!!! I never knew that it was possible to get these marking schemes :eek: Looks like tomorrow will be spent doing these! Thanks for linking that page... everyone I asked said it wasn't possible to get the marking schemes before 2000!

No bother :P
    Asking the wrong people :P
    think there's a paper there from 1970 :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

2010 paper was nice, praying we get something like. Anyone else think they seem to be nicer papers on the even years than the odd ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Ok guys, need your help here. I'm currently revising collisions.

However, when I do the last section (7D) of fundamental applied maths, I'm getting every single question wrong!! It's so frustrating cause it seems like I'm doing everything right! Would anyone be able to upload a picture (or even type it out!) how they managed question 7 or 8 in excercies 7D in fundamental applied maths? Page 121 122 in the revised edition.

Would be very much appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Cathalog wrote: »

However, when I do the last section (7D) of fundamental applied maths, I'm getting every single question wrong!! It's so frustrating cause it seems like I'm doing everything right! Would anyone be able to upload a picture (or even type it out!) how they managed question 7 or 8 in excercies 7D in fundamental applied maths? Page 121 in the revised edition.

Is it not page 122 ? i have the second edition

However, when I do the last section (7D) of fundamental applied maths, I'm getting every single question wrong!! It's so frustrating cause it seems like I'm doing everything right! Would anyone be able to upload a picture (or even type it out!) how they managed question 7 or 8 in excercies 7D in fundamental applied maths? Page 121 in the revised edition.

Is it not page 122 ? i have the second edition

Oops, my mistake. It's 122.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

would you have a scanner to put them up? :P
    Heres Question 1
    (a) A particle falls from rest from a point X under gravity. After it has fallen a distance a matres, another particle is give a downward speed of (8ga)^1/2 m s^-1 from the same starting point X
    (i) How long is the first particle moving before the second particle starts moving ?
    (ii) If the particles collide t seconds after the second particle starts moving express t in terms of a and g.
    (iii) Find, in terms of a, the distance from X to the point where they collide.

(b) Two trains, S and T, travel on parallel rails in the same direction with uniform accelerations of f and 3f, respectively.
    At the same instant, both trains pass a signal box P with speeds u and (1/2)u, respevtively.
    The trains are once again level when they pass the next signal box Q.
    (i) Show that the greatest ddistance that S is ahead of T is (u^2)/(4f)
    (ii) Find, in terms of u, the speed of each train as it passes Q.

Oops, my mistake. It's 122.

Rearrange the impact so their centres are horizontal from each other.

If you want me to do it out i can but im not sure how to upload it :L

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

Doing applied maths as an extra subject outside school, praying for a nice paper because really I've hardly ever touched the book, just worked exam papers! Anything new would probably throw me, seems to be one question every year they decide to mess with? Hopefully q8 this year! Prepared 7 others, do ye think I should look over it? Not really sure what to make of applied maths, have 7 other honours subjects and I dunno if I'll end up using it

RedTexan wrote: »
    Doing applied maths as an extra subject outside school, praying for a nice paper because really I've hardly ever touched the book, just worked exam papers! Anything new would probably throw me, seems to be one question every year they decide to mess with? Hopefully q8 this year! Prepared 7 others, do ye think I should look over it? Not really sure what to make of applied maths, have 7 other honours subjects and I dunno if I'll end up using it

Nah i've never looked at Q8 and i've been doing it myself outside school since last year.
    If you have 7 you should be fine.
    Questions never really vary all that much and if they do it'll more than likely only be in one and you have your safety net of your extra one.
    Just practice your seven.

However, when I do the last section (7D) of fundamental applied maths, I'm getting every single question wrong!! It's so frustrating cause it seems like I'm doing everything right! Would anyone be able to upload a picture (or even type it out!) how they managed question 7 or 8 in excercies 7D in fundamental applied maths? Page 121 122 in the revised edition.

Solution to Question 8.
    My work is pretty spaced out (hence the 6 pages).
    Some of the pages scanned upside-down but you can deal with that :L
    only let me upload 5 pages so last one will be in next post :P
    Hope it explains it well.

Last one :P

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Liveforrugby

Solution to Question 8.
    My work is pretty spaced out (hence the 6 pages).
    Some of the pages scanned upside-down but you can deal with that :L
    only let me upload 5 pages so last one will be in next post :P
    Hope it explains it well.

I think the real question here is.. How are your circles so perfect!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

He uses a compass. :P You can see the centre! :P

Wow I can't believe you did all that! Thanks a million. I'll compare that to mine to see what I'm doing fecking wrong tmoro!

Clever little device called a compass :L
    My free hand is terrible so i always use them :L

• Advertisement

Wow I can't believe you did all that! Thanks a million. I'll compare that to mine to see what I'm doing fecking wrong tmoro!

nb :P
    was good practice i suppose :L

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭jos360

Ive only been doing app maths for 2 days and I've done 7 questions (1-5, 8 and 10). To be honest, I found question 8 really easy. The part a is always just to write out one of 3 really short proofs for 20 marks. The second part just requires you to get your head around inertia and then its just using simple concepts from pullys and shm.

Definitely recommend this question for anyone looking for an extra question.

Also, even if you don't answer it, write out the proof for the part a (takes 60 seconds) and then answer 6 other questions. That way if you absolutely mess up a question, you have a 20 mark question instead just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Could someone please explain to me why in q4 a) 2008, the acceleration 2f instead of f?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Could someone please explain to me why in q4 a) 2008, the acceleration 2f instead of f?
    Because the m1 mass moves twice the distance that pulley A moves.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

When a particle strikes a smooth surface, why does one of the velocities not change? I can't wrap my head around it.

A particle was projected down a hill, and when it striked velocity in the x direction was the same after the impact?? I'm struggling with the fundamentals a day before the exam :P

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

When a particle strikes a smooth surface, why does one of the velocities not change? I can't wrap my head around it.

A particle was projected down a hill, and when it striked velocity in the x direction was the same after the impact?? I'm struggling with the fundamentals a day before the exam :P
    Won't be a bouncing projectile, that came up last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭bren2001

Because the wall, or hill only provides a force in one (vector) direction. If you drop a ball (perfectly) straight onto the ground it comes back into your hand. There is no change in the x direction in that case.

2003 Q5 (a) (ii)
    Marking schemes say the method for second part is ''eV2 > -V1''

Reason behind the minus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭bren2001

2003 Q5 (a) (ii)
    Marking schemes say the method for second part is ''eV2 > -V1''

Reason behind the minus?

Its vector mathematics, the ball will hit off the wall and rolls back. So rolling to the wall it has a velocity of V1 ( xi + 0j) it then bounces off the wall and the direction of the vector changes to V2 ( -yi + 0j). The minus is just to show the direction of the vector, thats all.

• Advertisement

bren2001 wrote: »
    Its vector mathematics, the ball will hit off the wall and rolls back. So rolling to the wall it has a velocity of V1 ( xi + 0j) it then bounces off the wall and the direction of the vector changes to V2 ( -yi + 0j). The minus is just to show the direction of the vector, thats all.

But V1 is the velocity of the first sphere after the initial impact of the two spheres?

What i'm thinking is:
    That if sphere one is knocked backwards it's already a minus.. so the minus infront of V1 will make it so that its heading towards the rebounded sphere 2.

But if sphere one isn't knocked backwards the minus will make it so its heading away (which would make sense method-wise).

But seeing as we don't know the direction of Sphere 1 after impact (because we dont know e) should we not investigate both cases?

I know there's something stupidly simple i'm overlooking but i can't get it to click.

Advertisement