Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Applied Maths 2012 Before/After**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddyhes

123Laura wrote: »
    oh dear jesus I am far too tired to be doing maths, didn't cop it they'd started the derivation there have been trying to work out how on earth sin2x=2cos2x for a solid 20 minutes. Thanks

:L happens to the best of us :P
    no problem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DoodleMe

paddyhes wrote: »
    Yeah I'm going on to do mathsy/physicsy course in college hopefully.
    Yeah it's alot easier than most subjects cause you just practice it (this is maths now).
    Once you understand all the underlying principles and the physics behind the maths you're doing in applied maths its very easy to practice as well.
    Yeah if you're good at maths and physics you should give it a go anyways :P
    you'll always have your other 7 subjects to fall back on if it doesn't work out :P
    Unless your school offers it as i subject :P :L

I think I'll give it a go then. It's most likely going to be one of my 7 subjects but I like the sound of it, I think I'll consider it more throughout the summer before I decide. Thanks for your input though and all the best for tomorrow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

When i have to find the angle its deflected i usually just get the angle before, angle after, and then just draw a quick diagram to make sure i dont mess it up, and just add or subtract to get what i need :P
    Yeah thats what I do :rolleyes: jus trying to finding alternate ways, great idea the night before the exam hahaha
    What did you think of normal/ project math whatever you want to call it :P

DoodleMe wrote: »
    I think I'll give it a go then. It's most likely going to be one of my 7 subjects but I like the sound of it, I think I'll consider it more throughout the summer before I decide. Thanks for your input though and all the best for tomorrow :D

Yeah hopefully it works out for you :P
    No problem :P

aarond280 wrote: »
    Yeah thats what I do :rolleyes: jus trying to finding alternate ways, great idea the night before the exam hahaha
    What did you think of normal/ project math whatever you want to call it :P

no let's not do that :L
    hated project maths with a furious passion. *shakes fist*
    think they tried to dumb it down and just messed it up for people who are good at pure maths :P
    like the paper was extremely easy to get a B in and extremely difficult to get an A1 in which i didnt think was fair :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭RedTexan

123Laura wrote: »
    oh dear jesus I am far too tired to be doing maths, didn't cop it they'd started the derivation there have been trying to work out how on earth sin2x=2cos2x for a solid 20 minutes. Thanks
    You could just let it equal to one and use that to find the max instead of some crazy calculus!

no let's not do that :L
    hated project maths with a furious passion. *shakes fist*
    think they tried to dumb it down and just messed it up for people who are good at pure maths :P
    like the paper was extremely easy to get a B in and extremely difficult to get an A1 in which i didnt think was fair :P
    yeah i hated it soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (emphises on the so :P) it was just stupid, they tried to sumb it down and give extra points for it ..... thats crazy saying that im not complaining :P
    paper 1 was grand excempt some (c)(ii) i.e. 1(c)(ii) and 3(c(ii) other than that it was ok and the integration (c) oart was tough enough ah well done now :cool:

RedTexan wrote: »
    You could just let it equal to one and use that to find the max instead of some crazy calculus!
    why would you let it = 1 ??

why would you let it = 1 ??
    When you get the range down in it's simplest form you end up with u^2 (sin(2alpha+beta)-sin(beta)) all over something like gcos(beta) or something, but anyway for that to be maximum sin(2alpha+beta) must equal to one, (from the unit circle) and then you do the inverse and all that and you come out with the correct answer. It's much easier than having to use calculus, our teacher never did calculus in question 3 with us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85 ✭✭treely

For the formula in SHM, what does the A stand for? Sometimes its amplitude, and other times its acceleration! Or am I just getting mixed up? Last minute WTF moment here!

• Advertisement

treely wrote: »
    For the formula in SHM, what does the A stand for? Sometimes its amplitude, and other times its acceleration! Or am I just getting mixed up? Last minute WTF moment here!
    Capital A for amplitude, small a for acceleration

yeah i hated it soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo (emphises on the so :P) it was just stupid, they tried to sumb it down and give extra points for it ..... thats crazy saying that im not complaining :P
    paper 1 was grand excempt some (c)(ii) i.e. 1(c)(ii) and 3(c(ii) other than that it was ok and the integration (c) oart was tough enough ah well done now :cool:

yeah :L
    Q1 c ii, messed up last part of question 6 and last part of the integration but i answered every question so hopefully still got the A1 :P
    anyways good luck today :P

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Pepperr

****ting bricks at the moment! Good luck to everyone today, and if Applied maths is your last subject, enjoy your freedom.

If like me you have technology or something after words, STAY STRONG!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Well feck that! Found connected particles (4) was ok. Apart from that the paper was a complete shambles for me. Pain in the arse. Hopefully I passed on attempt marks

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BrianC2095

Same here Q10 was ....unusual i thought:confused: did anyone get the projectiles question out i completely flopped it:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭98q76e12hrflnk

Well **** that paper couldn't answer q10 at all or barely q5 FML:/

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

BrianC2095 wrote: »
    Same here Q10 was ....unusual i thought:confused: did anyone get the projectiles question out i completely flopped it:(

I actually did ok in that one after looking back ( i think). Where'd you go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

That was catastrophic to say the least! Thought it was a really tough paper, got a b3 in the mocks and was hoping to go up, but I'm definitely going to go down :(

I actually did ok in that one after looking back ( i think). Where'd you go wrong?

I do not have a clue :p i couldnt get two values for a i ended up with a tan quadratic that seemed unsolvable and then i couldnt get the angle a in the second part either but i think thats cuse my calcultor was set in radians :rolleyes:

_Bella_ wrote: »
    That was catastrophic to say the least! Thought it was a really tough paper, got a b3 in the mocks and was hoping to go up, but I'm definitely going to go down :(

Well the good thing is that if a lot of people found it tough the marking scheme might just be lenient and everyonell scrape through on attempts :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 123Laura

Anyone who thinks they got the answers please post them, you really don't know if your right or not with half of the answers as they're so random.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 BEP!

That was awful.
    What did people get for k on q10a? pretty sure i was miles off

BEP! wrote: »
    That was awful.
    What did people get for k on q10a? pretty sure i was miles off

I got - 0.012 or something similar for k and then like 42 degrees after 15 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Didn't get the last part but I got the rest of it I think.

I loved q10 <3 pretty sure I got it all right except I had the wrong sign in the b part for some reason. I did the last part by "or otherwise", first time I've ever been able to use an alternative method in a maths question. :L

Overall I messed up quite a lot, MIGHT have scraped a B but most likely a C (I think I got about 10/50 in q5 so that was what did the most damage). I thought it was quite a doable paper, I'm disappointed I didn't study for it more now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Osric

Thought the paper was fair, although some parts really hard

Here are my answers:

(1)
    (a) 44.1m
    (b) 40 seconds
    352m

(3)
    (a) 36.87 and 53.13 (roughly)
    4 seconds
    (b) 60 degrees
    70m/s

(4)
    (a) 1.23m/s
    1/11m
    (b) (4mg(1+u))/5
    (2g-f)/3

(5)
    (a) proof
    (b) proof

(9)
    (a) s=7.79
    (b) 1.2m
    Theta = 60

(10)
    (a) k = ln(1.5) / 600 (in seconds)
    Temp = 41.77 degrees (roughly)
    (b) proof
    Proof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

I got - 0.012 or something similar for k and then like 42 degrees after 15 mins
    I got like 1/10ln(3/2)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Wanchor

That was terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ECM2012

Osric wrote: »
    Thought the paper was fair, although some parts really hard

Here are my answers:

(1)
    (a) 44.1m
    (b) 40 seconds
    352m

(3)
    (a) 36.87 and 53.13 (roughly)
    4 seconds
    (b) 60 degrees
    70m/s

(4)
    (a) 1.23m/s
    1/11m
    (b) (4mg(1+u))/5
    (2g-f)/3

(5)
    (a) proof
    (b) proof

(9)
    (a) s=7.79
    (b) 1.2m
    Theta = 60

(10)
    (a) k = ln(1.5) / 600 (in seconds)
    Temp = 44.17 degrees (roughly)
    (b) proof
    Proof

I got pretty much all those answers except for
    10(a) I got k=(ln(4/3))/600

1(b)(ii) 218

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Hope I got an A1... but I'm not 100% sure. Some of ye here got different answers to me for Q1 (b) so maybe I got that wrong, although my answers (38secs and 642.5m) seemed right at the time.

By the way, what did everyone get for Q2? Here are my answers:
    (a) 71.46
    (b) (ii) 13:21
    (iii) 1.14 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 ECM2012

Wesc. wrote: »
    Hope I got an A1... but I'm not 100% sure. Some of ye here got different answers to me for Q1 (b) so maybe I got that wrong, although my answers (38secs and 642.5m) seemed right at the time.

By the way, what did everyone get for Q2? Here are my answers:
    (a) 71.46
    (b) (ii) 13:21
    (iii) 1.14 hours.

Pretty sure I got those aswers except I said 13.20 not 13:21 not sure why

Advertisement