Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Escape from Ireland swim

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭interested

mloc123 wrote: »

I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

interested wrote: »
    I hope so.

I guess you have to defend your title! :cool: How's the foot?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I hope so.

Nice time last year. How were conditions compared to 2010?

pgibbo wrote: »
    How's the foot?

Not so bad, sore from time to time. Thankfully Im still able to swim since Id be really crawling the walls at this stage (nearly 4 weeks of 6 done). Am hoping to gingerly try the turbo this Sunday but we'll see.

Nice time last year. How were conditions compared to 2010?

Very similar to be honest - very calm. The difference for me on the day was to ignore their directives and swim what was in front of me based on my own knowledge.
    My problem will be hobbling to the finish line since on both previous occasions its a jog in shallow water ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

I did this in 2010 and it was a really nice event. Well organised and a good feed afterwards - although the directions on getting back to shore were a bit vague as Interested has alluded to. I'd love to do it this year but haven't swam enough to risk taking it on I think.

One thing to remember is that if the tides are running the same way as they were in 2010 you could end up in Bray if you're not careful :D

griffin100 wrote: »
    I did this in 2010 and it was a really nice event. Well organised and a good feed afterwards - although the directions on getting back to shore were a bit vague as Interested has alluded to. I'd love to do it this year but haven't swam enough to risk taking it on I think.

One thing to remember is that if the tides are running the same way as they were in 2010 you could end up in Bray if you're not careful :D

We get conditions like they're forecasting for later today and tomorrow and all of the above will be the least of our worries ;) hopefully they adopt a sensible attitude and just let people get on with it no matter what. After all, its not a triathlon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Coming from Galway to do this race and am wondering if there is a route for this race (following buoys) or is it a straight from island to beach run? If it is a straight from island to beach swim is there any local knowledge of tidal flows available? Interested got any advise?

Cheers
    T

Coming from Galway to do this race and am wondering if there is a route for this race (following buoys) or is it a straight from island to beach run? If it is a straight from island to beach swim is there any local knowledge of tidal flows available? Interested got any advise?

Cheers
    T

The year I did it there were buoys but the organisers couldn't decide which side of the buoys were best to swim on ;)

The tide was running quite strongly to the south, i.e. from your right to left. Not sure if it will be the same this weekend.

Aim for the very large white shed that can be seen on the shoreline when you are far out, as you get closer you may see the finish line but the finish beach is quite small and may not be visible until you are quite close.

Thanks Griffen.

As far as I can tell from looking online High tide is at 10.00am, assuming the race starts at 9 should there be much of a flow?

Looking at googlemaps would you recommend aiming for the dart side or the sutton side?

Cheers

T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Me and one of my tri-buddies are signed up. Looking forward to it :) Gonna follow it by a big cycle in Wicklow after.

Tinder wrote: »
    Thanks Griffen.

As far as I can tell from looking online High tide is at 10.00am, assuming the race starts at 9 should there be much of a flow?

Looking at googlemaps would you recommend aiming for the dart side or the sutton side?

Cheers

T

I'd be inclined to aim for the Sutton side if the tide is running southbound.

Tinder wrote: »

Cheers
    T

Yep, just follow me ;)
    Was out and about on the bike this morning (first time in 6 weeks) strong wind from the west at the moment may make things a little tricky to determine best line to take. Ill be going straight at it and countering things as I feel on the day - with that wind direction I'd be aiming right of the finish - how much ? I can't honestly say yet.

Have a safe trip east. Apologies I didnt see this earlier, was away all week.

Wow, tough swim. I had My garmin in my swim hat... spot where I got caught up up the washing machine: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/194521938

I guess I took a very bad line and should have aimed much further right from the off. At least I didn't have to be pulled from the water. Jelly fish freaked me a bit but I got my first sting out of the way within 200m so it was fine.

^^^
    Well done, a proper swim. Entertaining conditions.

^^^
    Well done, a proper swim. Entertaining conditions.

Did you retain your title? Would have said hello, if I knew what you looked like :)
    Conditions cause the top end of the field any issues?

I enjoyed the swim, my OH was not as relaxed waiting at the pier watching the groups of people being pulled out of the water.

Did you retain your title? Would have said hello, if I knew what you looked like :)
    Conditions cause the top end of the field any issues?

I enjoyed the swim, my OH was not as relaxed waiting at the pier watching the groups of people being pulled out of the water.

Nope, some young fella called Stephen Early pipped me ;) I was happy to be close enough to see him get out at the end ;) Yeah, it played long - but I kinda knew that from the wind yesterday. Just one of those days you realise its impossible to fight the water - just gotta roll with it and try and read the sets to ensure you can breath and sight.
    Quite a few pulled out from what I heard and saw. As I said, a proper swim ;) Nice job on getting over.

Thanks for the advise lads, aimed quite high towards sutton and it payed off, finished in the top 10! tough conditions out there today, thought the organisers could have given some guidence as to where people should aim for as nearly half the field had to pulled out after being swept down by the tide.

considering they pulled 1/3rd of the starters out of the water, anyone that finished should pat themselves on the back.

provisional results
    http://howthaquathon.com/escape-from-ireland-swim/

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrMischief

Fair play to anyone that did this. I'm doing the Olympic Tri out there in two weeks time and between reading this about the conditions, the jellyfish and seeing all the sealions in the water on Sunday - lets just say i'm bricking it!!!

Well done!!

• Advertisement

MrMischief wrote: »
    Fair play to anyone that did this. I'm doing the Olympic Tri out there in two weeks time and between reading this about the conditions, the jellyfish and seeing all the sealions in the water on Sunday - lets just say i'm bricking it!!!

Well done!!

Don't sweat it too much, it was the first year in 3 it played so hard and the jellyfish were all the innocuous white ones. The seals are more curious than anything else and certainly won't want to be anywhere near crowds of triathletes when they enjoy easy fish in the harbour off the boats.
    That said,I've heard from BetterThanHoyte on here that if they ask you out for dinner you could be in trouble.

Don't sweat it too much, it was the first year in 3 it played so hard and the jellyfish were all the innocuous white ones. The seals are more curious than anything else and certainly won't want to be anywhere near crowds of triathletes when they enjoy easy fish in the harbour off the boats.
    That said,I've heard from BetterThanHoyte on here that if they ask you out for dinner you could be in trouble.

Haha - oh dear!!

As it turns out i'm not doing this Tri as of this morning. Received an email from the organisers to say that due to safety reasons the bike leg of the Tri has been cancelled so its just the swim and run :mad::mad: So i'm off to find another one to do in its place.

Haha - oh dear!!

As it turns out i'm not doing this Tri as of this morning. Received an email from the organisers to say that due to safety reasons the bike leg of the Tri has been cancelled so its just the swim and run :mad::mad: So i'm off to find another one to do in its place.

I am almost tempted by this as a take two on the swim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Haha - oh dear!!

Will you let us know what triathlon you find as an alternative. A friend & I have been training for the Howth Olympic + for months, we did the escape from Ireland swim for training & now feel really disappointed that the cycle has been pulled. There was never any mention that it might not go ahead when we signed up. I'm now looking at doing the Mourne one at the end of Sept instead.

Thanks

JJV wrote: »
    Will you let us know what triathlon you find as an alternative. A friend & I have been training for the Howth Olympic + for months, we did the escape from Ireland swim for training & now feel really disappointed that the cycle has been pulled. There was never any mention that it might not go ahead when we signed up. I'm now looking at doing the Mourne one at the end of Sept instead.

Thanks

Yeah i'm really dissappointed too and i was doing this for charity with cycling my strongest leg :(. I was planning on doing the Dublin city one in August too but wanted to do one or two before that. I'll have a trawl later on and post up if i find anything. From what i remember though, the tri calendar for Dublin aint great for the rest of the year and looks like you'll have to travel to do one (now that wont put me off but its handier when its on your doorstep)

http://www.dublincitytriathlon.com/

p.s. how did you find the Escape from Ireland swim??

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭JJV

Thanks for the reply. The Dublin City looks like a good alternative.

The swim was challenging & I ingested quite a large volume of Dublin Bay! First proper sea swim too, glad I finished.

On the bike route for the tri... I don't think it was ever a runner. Very busy roads and sleep decent would be dangerous IMO. Short of starting the race at 6am on Sunday morning maybe which tides probably would not allow.

On the bike route for the tri... I don't think it was ever a runner. Very busy roads and sleep decent would be dangerous IMO. Short of starting the race at 6am on Sunday morning maybe which tides probably would not allow.

Yeah i can understand the safety concerns with Sunday probably being the busiest day in Howth but i think the frustration is only hearing about this less than two weeks before the event!

JJV wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. The Dublin City looks like a good alternative.

The swim was challenging & I ingested quite a large volume of Dublin Bay! First proper sea swim too, glad I finished.

I'm going to do the following after the cancellation of the bike leg on Howth Tri

Duathon 13th July Phoenix park 2.7km run, 13km cycle, 2.7km run
    Howth Aquathon 23rd July 500m swim & 2.8km run
    Dublin City Tri in August

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

I did the it last year and I can see why they might not have been able to go ahead with the bike leg as it got very congested, especially around the village area, cars and people just ignoring the marshalls and doing their own thing. It was ok going up the hill and coming off but I can see why they may have taken it out as coming back into Howth it seemed to have caused alot of traffic jams. Howth is very popular even when its pissing rain - it always seems to get lots of visitors especially in summer.

Advertisement