Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LA Noir or GTA 4

Options
  • 13-06-2012 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

I've played neither, but was a fan of GTA Vice City years ago. Which has better gameplay and is overall fun? Edit: I'll also throw The Saboteur into the mix as the premise and reviews have me intrigued.

Does LA Noir have an abundance of video scenes that distract from the gameplay?

I recently started the assassin's creed series and unfortunately wasn't impressed by it, after loving Uncharted. Just to give an idea of likes/dislikes.

Thanks

Edit: Maybe I should have changed the title to, die-hard Uncharted fan, please recommend me a game before The Last of Us is released.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Personally I found after a while l.a noire just got boring,it was such a disappointment for me so I would go with gta 4,even though the missions in that were kinda boring too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Neither have the fun associated with the older GTA titles.

My advice: buy Saint's Row: The Third. Fantastic game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭thechanger

Personally I found after a while l.a noire just got boring,it was such a disappointment for me so I would go with gta 4,even though the missions in that were kinda boring too

As boring as herding cattle in RDR? That was an interesting game, but got very boring once you got to Mexico.

I might have to think again about my next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

LA Noire is completely different from GTA - it's closer to Heavy Rain, in my opinion - so if you want a GTA-esque game then don't go for it. I think it is a fantastic game, but may not be what you're looking for. GTA IV would definitely be the better of the two you picked for what you want.

As well as Saints Row 3 as mentioned above, the Ballad of Gay Tony DLC for GTA IV is apparently closer to the madness of the older GTAs, so that might be worth a look also. You can get that along with a biker mission storyline as a separate game, so you won't need to own GTA IV to play it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Yeah, Rockstar put some seriously boring missions into gta 4 and RDR, hope GTA 5 goes back to the vice city/ san andreas days.

LA Noire is a completely different kettle of fish though. I though it was a great detective game but the free roam open world is crap, nothing to do. If you are looking for a free roam game, I would say go with GTA 4 just so you can say you played it as some people absolutely loved it. I personally preferred Saints Row 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I would recommend Red Dead Redemption ahead of all of them if you haven't played it.Its much more fun than GTA 4 and you can spend days just roaming around killing animals or doing side missions. The story is also unbelievable.

One of the best games I've ever played.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

+ 1 for Red Dead Redemption

Found LA Noire got very boring very quickly, though the graphics are brilliant

GTA4 is what everyone else said in the thread. Beautifully made game with an average storyline with some dull missions. None the less it's still a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

GTA 4 is a great game. If you like GTA series you won't be disappointed with this. LA Noire was extremely boring. All in my opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

RDR one of the best games this generation

GOTY edition €26 on zavvi
    http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/red-dead-redemption-game-of-the-year-edition/10529243.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Crosáidí wrote: »
    RDR one of the best games this generation

GOTY edition €26 on zavvi
    http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/ps3/red-dead-redemption-game-of-the-year-edition/10529243.html

I agree, excellent game, but OP has played it already and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe the undead nightmare part might convince him though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Otacon wrote: »
    Neither have the fun associated with the older GTA titles.

My advice: buy Saint's Row: The Third. Fantastic game.

Was just about to say the same myself

• Registered Users Posts: 29,849 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dooferoaks wrote: »
    I agree, excellent game, but OP has played it already and wasn't overly impressed. Maybe the undead nightmare part might convince him though.

I didn't enjoy RDR either but I got it a 2nd time with the undead pack and even though I love zombies, I found that very boring as well. RDR had such a great world with graphics and physics but found the story and missions very boring.

OP, it would be worth your time to pick the up the complete GTA 4 pack with add on's 'The Lost and the Damned' (you play a biker in a gang in a new story) and 'The Ballad of Gay Tony' (another new story with crazy missions and fast cars, real throw back to the days of vice city).

Concerning RDR, the edition I had was without the Undead pack. Pity as it sounds like lots of fun.

I wasn't aware of the GTA IV additional packs. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll keep an eye out for those.

How about The Saboteur, has anyone here played that?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Moved to the main games forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

thechanger wrote: »
    Concerning RDR, the edition I had was without the Undead pack. Pity as it sounds like lots of fun.

I wasn't aware of the GTA IV additional packs. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll keep an eye out for those.

How about The Saboteur, has anyone here played that?

The Saboteur is a fantastic game. Imagine GTA SA but replace the street gangs with Nazis and you play a hard as nails Irishman :D

Prototype and Red Faction:Guerrilla are also worth a playthrough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 Blue Bitch

I prefer LA Noir but GTA 4 is also a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

I agree that Red Dead is hidden option C to take on this one. Loved GTA 4 though. LA Noire was amazing for the first few hours but it really got boring early on and became a dull grind to finish the game in the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

i would def add my support to the Sabateur. Great game

Thanks to all for your insights. One final question. What I loved, and did most in Vice City, was free roam, kill and steal cars. Does GTA 4 still have that same buzz, or are sections of the city off limit?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

LA noire is an amazing game with a brilliant story ark that really messes with conventional western story telling with concepts of flawed heroes.

but I see you want free roaming in that case,la noire Is not the game for you.

GTA 4 has all that but like red dead it gets boring about 40% through the game.

to be honest prototype 2 is open world and tons of fun. both infamous games are great too.

you could get ps+ for a month for 15 euro and get infamous 2 for free, think you get red faction too another great game. nit 100% sure on the free games on my phone so can't check maybe someone else can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

LA noire is an amazing game with a brilliant story ark that really messes with conventional western story telling with concepts of flawed heroes.

but I see you want free roaming in that case,la noire Is not the game for you.

GTA 4 has all that but like red dead it gets boring about 40% through the game.

to be honest prototype 2 is open world and tons of fun. both infamous games are great too.

you could get ps+ for a month for 15 euro and get infamous 2 for free, think you get red faction too another great game. nit 100% sure on the free games on my phone so can't check maybe someone else can.

I have almost 90% game completion in Red Dead and I still find it to be brilliant.I spend hours just going around killing things with Deadeye or playing poker.Its much better than GTA 4 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Infamous 1&2 are much more serious games.
    Red Dead is a great game but the world can feel too empty at times
    GTA4 looked brilliant but seemed to lose the fun of GTA

Seriously get Saints Row: The Third. Basically what GTA4 should have been

The Saboteur is like GTA meets Assassins Creed, as you have to scale buildings a lot to outrun the Nazis and you get to explore a beautifully detailed Paris. There's also a pretty great storyline too.

Advertisement