Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine leaked managment agency called plumber

Options
  • 13-06-2012 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice, I own an apt in complex our washing machine sprung a leak causing water to be sprayed against the back wall and down into our neighbors apt below us.

I called our management agency who said they would call a plumber, A plumber came out within an hour or so discovered the situation. this took roughly an hour on a Sunday afternoon

The management agency are now asking me to pay the bill of 287, at the time there was no mention that I could possibly be billed nor how much it would cost, if I had of known I would of left the water off and tried to organize my own plumber at a cheaper cost.

understandably It was my own washing machine that caused the issue but my grief was that none of the actions/costs were discussed with me, do I have any leg to stand on?

Thanks
    crazyderk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

crazyderk wrote: »
    I called our management agency who said they would call a plumber, A plumber came out within an hour or so discovered the situation. this took roughly an hour on a Sunday afternoon

The management agency are now asking me to pay the bill of 287.

understandably It was my own washing machine that caused the issue but my grief was that none of the actions/costs were discussed with me, do I have any leg to stand on?

Nope, you're liable.

You called the management agent. If you wanted to deal with it yourself, you should have just turned the water off, and then arranged a plumber. Then you could have notified the management agent the next business day.

Any callout for a plumber on a weekend would be costly.

Of course, you may also be liable for any costs for damage to the unit below you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

You own a apartment and expect the management company to pay for your plumbing leaks? Your well off the mark there.

Your also liable for the damage done to the apartment below. Hope your have apartment insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Seriously OP what were you thinking?
    Yes you are liable. Surely you could have switched of the water and had a look. I am surprised the plumber didn't bill you directly

Most likely to have been a connection to the machine and cost about €10 and about 10 minutes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

OP- you are liable.
    If you wanted to organise your own plumber and sort it yourself- you shouldn't have reported it to the Management Company. The bill you have been given is very reasonable- as the water damage to the unit below you could be quite extensive (normally water damage like this would come under the excess on the block insurance policy- so it comes out of the central funds, not from the insurance company).
    Yes- a plumber on a Sunday afternoon is pricey- and rightly so. If you own a property- occasionally things like this happen, its a bitch when they do- but they do happen- thats life.

Advertisement