Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cryogenic cleaning

Options
  • 13-06-2012 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Does anyone have any experience of cryogenic cleaning? Specifically, how effective it is versus sandblasting, and costs versus sandblasting?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

wha......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

i thought they would clean the bodies before they put them in deep freeze:confused:
    or do they have to take them out and clean them periodically??

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ruffmut

We use this at work to clean injection moulds. Before we would have to strip the tools fully and dip the parts into caustic acid and wash afterwards. This would take about 16hrs to do, then there would be overtime to catchup production again. This would have to be done twice a month.

I got one of these machines in to try and did not look back. We use 3mm dry ice pellets with it. The tools take about 45mins to clean now and can stay in the machine during cleaning. No need to disconnect electrics or power down.

You do need a large volume of compressed air to run and is very loud when using.

Below is a link to machine we use.

http://www.cryonomic.com/EN/Application/plastic_processing/video/mould_extruder_cleaning_in_plastic_industry-3-73

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rickyfontana

ruffmut wrote: »
    We use this at work to clean injection moulds. Before we would have to strip the tools fully and dip the parts into caustic acid and wash afterwards. This would take about 16hrs to do, then there would be overtime to catchup production again. This would have to be done twice a month.

I got one of these machines in to try and did not look back. We use 3mm dry ice pellets with it. The tools take about 45mins to clean now and can stay in the machine during cleaning. No need to disconnect electrics or power down.

You do need a large volume of compressed air to run and is very loud when using.

Below is a link to machine we use.

http://www.cryonomic.com/EN/Application/plastic_processing/video/mould_extruder_cleaning_in_plastic_industry-3-73

We're also processing plastic and looking at ways of improving cleandown times. This system looked good only I never heard of it in use before so thanks for the bit of background on it. Is it severe on the dry ice pellets compared with sandblasting? What kind of compressed air supply we talking, hardly over 6 bar pressure?

We normally order in about 30Kgs of 3mm ice pellets at a time for about €50.00 This does us for our requirement. 6 bar pressure is fine you just need to make sure you have the volume to go through the machine.

The agent for the machine in Ireland has a demo unit and will allow you use it for a while to trial out. I can give you his details if you require.

I would not have any experience to compare it to sandblasting but Ian sells sand blasters also, so he could tell you about the running costs between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 rickyfontana

ruffmut wrote: »
    We normally order in about 30Kgs of 3mm ice pellets at a time for about €50.00 This does us for our requirement. 6 bar pressure is fine you just need to make sure you have the volume to go through the machine.

The agent for the machine in Ireland has a demo unit and will allow you use it for a while to trial out. I can give you his details if you require.

I would not have any experience to compare it to sandblasting but Ian sells sand blasters also, so he could tell you about the running costs between the two.

Not too bad - send on the contact details and I may follow it up. Thanks very much for all the info, it may very well save on elbow grease in the future!

PM sent

Advertisement