Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay in Ireland to save or move to Oz to make Money?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just thought I would drop by as I'm looking for some advice and information.

I'm fast approaching 25 years of age and I'm currently working in a decent enough permanent job. I also have a trade qualification behind me.

I'm at the stage now where I have started to think about saving for my own house and looking to buy a place. I was thinking of really getting my head down and saving extremely hard for the next 12 months and see how I would be fixed for getting a mortgage.

The other part of me would love to go off and see the world, work in a different environment and experience different cultures and just generally broaden my horizons. One of my friends has said I would be mad to stay in Ireland with the qualifications that I have and that there is serious money to be made and I would have the deposit for a house saved up easily within a year of living in Oz whilst still living a good standard of living.

Part of me thinks it's a good idea but after doing my research I'm not sure as to whether it would be as straight forward as my friend has made out. Realistically would I be able to earn good enough money to live a good life and still save some money?

Or would I be basically living the same way over there as over here? Working hard and saving the majority of my income?

Might seem like a silly question but I'm just looking for a bit of guidance. Before I know it I will be married with kids and whatever! :p

I'm looking for advice on whether moving to Australia / New Zealand would be a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Try Australia for one year. If you like it, stay a bit longer. If not then go home. You will have saved a lot and can get going with your house. It's not like the value of the euro is going to rise.

It's only one year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Sadly everyone has a friend like yours that sits in the Pub and says there is serious money to be made out here.

They fall down when you ask for exact details. As in where do you work and who is paying out and how exactly do you live in a country in the western world and spend nothing on rent etc?

That said without knowing what you do its hard to say. If you are good at mining related work you could indeed earn a lot but once again there are no guarantees.

Ireland is not a bad place to live if your on a secure income. Plus you can fly anywhere for a few weeks easy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭darcy07

you have 2 different agendas

travelling and broadening your horizons which will cost money and you wont save as much as u like

or moving here for a year and working and saving what happens after the year what have u got to go back to... within that year im sure u could save if u have a decent job but u have to find that job set up shop that all cost money

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Has your friend actually lived and worked here?

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

For me it was an easy decision and I headed down under for a year. Loved it there and had a blast. If you are someone who would find it hard to be away from home and friends, give it serious thought. Don't end up like some people I met who loved nothing better than tell everyone else how much better things are back home, as they nursed their pint of whatever. I think most people in Ireland are in love with the idea of heading to Oz. Not all show it once they arrive. Seriously, if Dublin, Cork, Galway etc etc are so ****ing great, and you miss them so much, wtf are you doing in Oz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

Danye wrote: »

The other part of me would love to..... experience different cultures.

I'm looking for advice on whether moving to Australia / New Zealand would be a good idea?

There is nothing in the line of culture down here in Australia that is really that different to Ireland minus the history we have.

If that's the issue, stay at home. About the money. It is way better down here and even though it can be very tough settling down. If you stick out the first tough 3 to 6 months, make the right contacts and keep trying you should be fine.

There are far more opportunities here than there are in Ireland in most lines of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

If you have the right trade you could earn enough money in a couple of years to not have to worry about a mortgage. You could buy a house outright in Ireland.

In saying that, these jobs are extremely hard to get and not to everyones liking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Daniel Tone

Danye wrote: »
    Hi all, just thought I would drop by as I'm looking for some advice and information.

I'm fast approaching 25 years of age and I'm currently working in a decent enough permanent job. I also have a trade qualification behind me.

I'm at the stage now where I have started to think about saving for my own house and looking to buy a place. I was thinking of really getting my head down and saving extremely hard for the next 12 months and see how I would be fixed for getting a mortgage.

The other part of me would love to go off and see the world, work in a different environment and experience different cultures and just generally broaden my horizons. One of my friends has said I would be mad to stay in Ireland with the qualifications that I have and that there is serious money to be made and I would have the deposit for a house saved up easily within a year of living in Oz whilst still living a good standard of living.

Part of me thinks it's a good idea but after doing my research I'm not sure as to whether it would be as straight forward as my friend has made out. Realistically would I be able to earn good enough money to live a good life and still save some money?

Or would I be basically living the same way over there as over here? Working hard and saving the majority of my income?

Might seem like a silly question but I'm just looking for a bit of guidance. Before I know it I will be married with kids and whatever! :p

It all really boils down to 2 simple questions. What is your trade ? And is that trade in short supply in mining ?

Advertisement