Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance BC, Canada

• 13-06-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭

Hey, so just wondering if any1 has been there and done that, or who just knows! Cause I can't find anything with google. Maybe even links to company's over there who give rough online quotes.

What can I expect to pay in car insurance. I'll be in Vancouver and intend to buy an SUV before I get my Canadian license. Not sure if that will effect the price starting out.

I'm 27, male, 5+ years no claims and a clean license! 3rd party would be my preference. At least untill I'm on my feet. Or if it doesn't work out much more expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Very different system to back home. You have to go through ICBC's Autoplan system for basic coverage. ICBC is run by the provinicial govenment and has a monopoly on car insurance. (however it is possible to use outside brokers to top up you collision protectoin, etc). There are hundreds of autpolan brokers all aroun BC, but they are all linked to the same system and thus there is no point in shopping around. Also I dont think you can get quotes online.

You need to get a seperate letter from each of your previous insurers stating policy number, length of policy and the fact that you have no claims. All letters need to run consecutively, so if your missing one in the middle your screwed. You only get 5% discount for each year then.

I'm a 30 year male, with a canadian and irish licence. I had letters for my previous 5 years of no claims and pay about $175 per month. Obviously it depends on the vehicle and the amount of collision protection, etc that you want to pay for, but as a guide the very minimum I would expect to pay is $150 per month, and thats with your 25% discount.

Very expensive, but bear in mind you dont pay road tax over here.

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

paraicr wrote: »
    Very different system to back home. You have to go through ICBC's Autoplan system for basic coverage. ICBC is run by the provinicial govenment and has a monopoly on car insurance. (however it is possible to use outside brokers to top up you collision protectoin, etc). There are hundreds of autpolan brokers all aroun BC, but they are all linked to the same system and thus there is no point in shopping around. Also I dont think you can get quotes online.

You need to get a seperate letter from each of your previous insurers stating policy number, length of policy and the fact that you have no claims. All letters need to run consecutively, so if your missing one in the middle your screwed. You only get 5% discount for each year then.

I'm a 30 year male, with a canadian and irish licence. I had letters for my previous 5 years of no claims and pay about $175 per month. Obviously it depends on the vehicle and the amount of collision protection, etc that you want to pay for, but as a guide the very minimum I would expect to pay is $150 per month, and thats with your 25% discount.

Very expensive, but bear in mind you dont pay road tax over here.

http://www.icbc.com/autoplan

Holy tomatoes. Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

I wonder if I put the vehicle down as trade use what baring it will have. Has anyone ever rang up past insurance companys and requested such paper work? I'm gonna have a hard time even remember who I've been insured with in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭paraicr

Not sure what the situation is regarding putting vehicles down as commercial. Doubt its going to be straightforward though.

I was able to get most of my letters from the insurers, i'm sure they're used to sending them by now.

If you cant remember then just fire off emails to whoever you can think (Quinn, Aviva, etc.) of and ask them if you had a policy and you could get lucky. The most recent ones are most important as you wont get any discounts without them anyway,

Advertisement