Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CD's

Options
  • 13-06-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

So other than Golden Disc's that has poor cd stocks, and Wingnut that only stocks Irish bands, and Rainbow Records that only has second hand cd's, is there anywhere else in Waterford to buy cd's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

No.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

You can get some chart cds in Tesco, but I agree with abouttobebanned.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

You can get some chart cds in Tesco, but I agree with abouttobebanned.

Yeah cheers. I just thiught abiut Tescos, but they don't stock much, as you said a few charts cd's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The collapse of bricks and mortar music retailing is pretty depressing (not that I ever had much time for CDs) makes you wonder if bookshops will go the same way once eBook readers reach a certain price point.

• Advertisement

Slightly related...anyone else just mystified about how xtravision are still going?

Do any of you guys rent DVDs? Their marketing department, in my opinion, is especially poor. For the euro's they have a big match special...2 DVDs, drinks, popcorn and sweets or something. It's called the euro 2012 match special...who is going to want to watch films when the matches are on?

I know what you're thinking - people who don't like soccer. But that's not how they've marketed it. It should have been called the euro refuge special or something.

Also, their Facebook annoys me. So unoriginal. Every film that is just released is "brilliant"...

Anyway back on topic...every couple of months there's a CD and record fair in one of the hotels. Usually worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Slightly related...anyone else just mystified about how xtravision are still going?

Do any of you guys rent DVDs? Their marketing department, in my opinion, is especially poor. For the euro's they have a big match special...2 DVDs, drinks, popcorn and sweets or something. It's called the euro 2012 match special...who is going to want to watch films when the matches are on?

I know what you're thinking - people who don't like soccer. But that's not how they've marketed it. It should have been called the euro refuge special or something.

Also, their Facebook annoys me. So unoriginal. Every film that is just released is "brilliant"...

Anyway back on topic...every couple of months there's a CD and record fair in one of the hotels. Usually worth a look.

People not into football?

Did you not read the rest of my post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

You can find secondhand Cds in Game Stop sometimes. I really miss BPM though. That's what we really need, a good cd store.
    In relation to renting, I would but sometimes it's rather expensive. €5 something for a night last time I tried. You'd get a DVD for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Old fashioned I know, but I like going into XtraVision and browsing the shelves. 'Tis expensive though, I'd only do it very 6 weeks or so, I get the €11 Deal, 2 New Release DVDs, (for 2 Nights) 2 Cans of Coke and a Popcorn. I pick one film and the missus picks the other. Wouldn't like to see it closing down, but it will eventually as the 'physical renting' generation either dies or adapts.

I miss BPM big time too, loved browsing, always wondered why they wouldn't move to a bigger shop, but now we know why. Is the one in Wexford still going? That was at least 3 times the size of the one in town iirc. What ever happened to the rumor of Tower Records coming to Waterford?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Jason Todd wrote: »
    What ever happened to the rumor of Tower Records coming to Waterford?!
    I think they're waiting until Marks and Sparks, HMV, and the Ferrybank shopping centre are open first. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Whats a CD?

I don't DJ as much as I used to but on the occasions that I do...when I turn up with my CD case people look at me like I just turned up with a record player and a box of records.

It's all laptops and MP3 now...which makes me wonder...what would happen if all the execs got their way and someone made it very difficult for the average joe to download music.

I have thousands of CDs that I used to buy in rainbow records...sinnotts...BPM...the place that used to be in red square...the place that used to be in the book centre...broad street..

And I have some DVDs too
    3862fabe.jpg

As great as it is to be able to download stuff on a whim..there used to be no feeling like picking up a new CD and playing it constantly for a few weeks...

As great as it is to be able to download stuff on a whim..there used to be no feeling like picking up a new Long Player and playing it constantly for a few weeks...

FYP ;)

Haha touché. You have a few years on me there mike.

CDs are just no good as there is no whiff when you sniff them (well not unless you smear something on them Tomorrow World style first)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I don't DJ as much as I used to but on the occasions that I do...when I turn up with my CD case people look at me like I just turned up with a record player and a box of records.

It's all laptops and MP3 now...which makes me wonder...what would happen if all the execs got their way and someone made it very difficult for the average joe to download music.

Why not just rip everything to a computer? I have 800+ movies and hundreds of albums and its so dam convenient. Theres no quality loss if you rip them a wavs of flacs? I have only bought 1 CD in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

ah the old long players and how you could skin up on them while listening to the music, back in the day :cool:

Xtravision Parnell street now closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

Xtravision Parnell street now closed.

Knew they were in difficulty but are they seriously gone???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I have a wall of DVD's at home and I love heading into town and getting a 4 for €20 deal or whatever. Theres nothing like the feeling of bringing a new dvd/game home and taking off the plastic and putting the disc in. Its why I'll never adjust to digital downloads. I don't feel like I own something unless I'm physically holding it in my hands.

I remember seeing it posted here about Parnell Street closing and I hated to read it. When I actually asked the head office about it they denied any such thing was happening. That was my favourite place for dvds and trading in games. :(

Thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77886089

Advertisement