Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larger DIY Polytunnel thought

Options
  • 13-06-2012 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah, I'm back to the tunnel again :o

I was thinking of the over the garden gate type:

http://www.overthegardengate.net/userpages/pp_view.asp?FName=polytunnel&Page=1

And maybe it's big enough as it is :confused: The thought I had was if a person could get a T connection for the pipe. At the highest part of the loop, cut the pipe and put on the T. Put a short piece of pipe coming down out of the T towards the ground. I imagine there's some type of "cement" that can be got to properly stick the joint.

The idea being, could a larger wider loop be supported by having scaffold poles in the middle of the tunnel also? Those scaffold pipes could also be tied together along the length of the tunnel quite easily as they'd be away from the cover.

Thoughts? Faults? Madness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I just dont know that all that is necessary. There is one tunnel at our allotments that is huge and is just a scaled up version of the over the garden gate job. It must be 20 x 40 foot. He just put in lots of timber bracing. Kept the height roughly the same (8 feetish).

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

You need to draw it out but I think I get you are thinking.

You wouldnt need to bother with the cement, I would go for drilling a hole through the pipe ends and through the T-section part and then bolts the pipes to the T-section. That way you dont have to worry about the cement thing. Just a random thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats HDPE, nothing is going to glue that together except a plastic welder.
    I would just use wooden battens running the length of the tunnel screwed directly into the pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

With sturdy upright supports under the hoops to the ground if it's going to be a wide tunnel.

Advertisement