Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

69.6% - is that a first class honors?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

:):):):)Just got my results - please say they round that up....:):):):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I've always wanted to use the ignore button - wow, thanks! I got to pass my exams and try something new all in one day!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Congrats! Very Harsh if you don't get it! Check the Award classification I think it is, instead of module grades!

Congrats! Very Harsh if you don't get it! Check the Award classification I think it is, instead of module grades!

Thanks - thats not up yet... Aghhh - they ended my exam wait with more waiting!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

i got like 68.9 and i got a 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

syklops wrote: »
    I hope not.

Either post something helpful or don't bother at all

Spunge wrote: »
    i got like 68.9 and i got a 1st.

Nice! Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

Surely rounding up diminishes the value of a 1st?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Either post something helpful or don't bother at all

I am sorry, I simply meant if you get 30% of the exam/course incorrect, how can you still get a First??

I did an course and exam in December and the pass mark alone was 80%.

No wonder they talk about slipping standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

syklops wrote: »
    I am sorry, I simply meant if you get 30% of the exam/course incorrect, how can you still get a First??

I did an course and exam in December and the pass mark alone was 80%.

No wonder they talk about slipping standards.

Because that is not how the grading system works in some colleges.

70% means that the answers returned were correct and coherent. Anything above 70% is exceptional. This isn't the leaving cert, where defined marking schemes exist.

All of this was explained by a lecturer in Aungier street. The highest mark from that particular course was 72%, with an accompanying note congratulating the group who submitted that project!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

AFAIK it's common practice to avoid giving a 69-point-anything final grade if possible. Either they'll bump it up to 70 if it was truly warranted, or they'll knock it back to 68-something just so they're not teasing. I could be wrong, and it probably differs from institution to institution. If you're concerned though OP, perhaps talk to one of the lecturers about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

I got 69% in something ad was told that while it was very good, and I had done nothing wrong, that they gave me that mark to show it was excellent, but not deserving of a first.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Is 69.6 your overall grade?

Keep us updated OP would want to know how it turns out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Sounds like it could be an absolute tease, I got 34% in one exam there and was pretty pissed off, if they gave me the 35% I would have passed by compensation! GRrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Interesting, I'm on 68ish

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭kirving

shanered wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be an absolute tease, I got 34% in one exam there and was pretty pissed off, if they gave me the 35% I would have passed by compensation! GRrrrrrrr

Getting less than 4 answers out of 10 correct is not deserving of a pass, compensation or not. Sorry to be harsh, but I'd rather have to repeat an exam if it meant that the integrity of my course, and college is maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

True that, I can see why they wanted me to sit it again in fairness!
    Just having a little rant to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

shanered wrote: »

Yeh when this kind of thing happens the marker cant justify passing you which is why he wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ThatsAWrap

In my last set of exams I got a 68 and a 69... really frustrating! Hope you get the first anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭thecatspjs

My course brought in an external examiner to meet with the students. This means that anyone who is on the brink of a higher classification can be bumped up; if the external thinks they are deserving of it based on a short interview.

• Advertisement

Any one find out if he got a first or not.

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Any one find out if he got a first or not.

Hey,

I should have specified that I am studying part time and it was my first year. My partner did a similar course in DIT full time and each year, her results were given a weighting like FCH etc. When I got mine, they didn't provide that. I asked the college and they said if it was my final year that I probably would have been bumped as one of my subjects had a great result in my CA but terrible in the exam (75%, 46% respectively).

The reason it was important to me is that my employer looks for my results and I wanted to be able to say FCH. Happy overall, on to next year. Sorry to have not been clearer - appologies to those who may have looked at this as a final year question.

engrish? wrote: »
    Hey,

I should have specified that I am studying part time and it was my first year. My partner did a similar course in DIT full time and each year, her results were given a weighting like FCH etc. When I got mine, they didn't provide that. I asked the college and they said if it was my final year that I probably would have been bumped as one of my subjects had a great result in my CA but terrible in the exam (75%, 46% respectively).

The reason it was important to me is that my employer looks for my results and I wanted to be able to say FCH. Happy overall, on to next year. Sorry to have not been clearer - appologies to those who may have looked at this as a final year question.

No problem, best of luck with the rest of college :)

Advertisement