Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor 18m Contract - Moved to Knocklyon, no Signal!

Options
  • 13-06-2012 3:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭

I contacted meteor regarding the possibility of ending my contract early? My 18 months would be up in June and have just moved to Knocklyon where I am not getting a signal anywhere on my street, obviously including the house.

This is very frustrating especially as I have very recently had a baby and am spending a significant amount of time in the house - I sense my landline bill will be astronomical this month. :(

Due to these exceptional circumstances, I was hoping that Meteor would be able to close the contract early, I have been an extremely loyal customer for a large number of years (on the highest price plans) and would not have ever dreamt of leaving Meteor if it weren't for this issue.

But now they're saying they won't me out without paying the remainder of the contract, it's extremely frustrating. How can they justify charging me 50 quid a month for the next 3 months for a server I cannot get?

I quite literally have to drive 5 minutes (or walk 10) to the Spar to get a signal.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

DA365 wrote: »
    I contacted meteor regarding the possibility of ending my contract early? My 18 months would be up in June ..... 3 months for a server I cannot get?

Assume typo?

But yeah, I have a friend living in Orlagh Grove, it seems the entire estate has cr@p signal on most/all networks. Personally seen it on o2 and Three.

Have you tried working out where the cell towers are around you, it might be a case of standing in a certain window would get you coverage.

Also, handset? Reception can vary hugely between models.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 249 ✭✭DA365

They are expecting me to pay for the next 3 months at 50 quid a pop for a service I can't get.

We've walked around the house repeatedly, went out the back and out the front - even walked up and down the street. Nothing, it is quite honestly a blackspot.

FTR, we have 2 contracts on Meteor - one with HTC Desire HD and one with Samsung Galaxy S 2, issue exists with both and indeed friends and families on meteor. (As you can imagine, just having a baby brings lots of visitors - they comment on it, it's that bad)

I want to move over to 3 as the other half's brother is on 3 and gets a very decent signal in the house and outside on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it's yourself that's in breach of contract, you signed it providing a particular address and thats where they are obliged to provide service/coverage for you.

As you have moved they would say you have breached it.

Anyway, I doubt they would do anything considering there is only 3 months left, you could certainly argue of you just signed up but not now I don't think.

Best thing to do is raise it with there Technical team as a coverage problem and see what they can do for you, if they say yes coverage is bad they may release you, or they may improve it for you, but to try get out of the contract outright won't work.

Well there was a redundancy issue with the other half and a job offer came that required us to move, so we moved. I'd hardly say that's in breach of anything.

Would you pay a full contract for 3 months if you couldnt use the service? That sounds more like a breach to me.

What's the chances of them at least letting us put it down to the lowest possible package for the next 3 months? Anyone any experience with this?

If you only have 3 months left your entitled to move to any plan, just call customer care.

I edited my post above just in case you didn't see my other option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i got my friend out of her O2 contract when they could not provide coverage at the address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Sorry if it sounds harsh, but it's yourself that's in breach of contract, you signed it providing a particular address and thats where they are obliged to provide service/coverage for you.

As you have moved they would say you have breached it.

Anyway, I doubt they would do anything considering there is only 3 months left, you could certainly argue of you just signed up but not now I don't think.

Best thing to do is raise it with there Technical team as a coverage problem and see what they can do for you, if they say yes coverage is bad they may release you, or they may improve it for you, but to try get out of the contract outright won't work.

How can someone moving house cause a breach of contract, the OP has not breached any contract, she has simply requested that they provide service to her new address and if they can not she has asked can she terminate the contract. Can you point out where in that the OP has breached her contract.

To the OP Most companies allow you to drop down a tariff once you are 6 months into contract, meteors cheapest plan is 20.33 I think.

I still think they should let you out of the contract, so if you are not happy contact comreg http://www.comreg.ie/

See Below

How can someone moving house cause a breach of contract, the OP has not breached any contract, she has simply requested that they provide service to her new address and if they can not she has asked can she terminate the contract. Can you point out where in that the OP has breached her contract. .

I worked there up until a few a years ago,and thats the stuff there cancellations team will throw at customers, thats if the OP is dealing with them, i'm simply trying to help the OP as Meteor aren't.

I would suggest raising it a coverage issue with customer care, I have seen before were towers have been adjusted, or a site acquisition in progress and may be days/weeks away before its live. Cancellations wont do that, however if the results come back as Yes we have no coverage ask to have that info forwarded to cancellations and there is a good chance they will release you.

I have heard them say your contract is based on the address you signed your contract on and thats were they are legally obliged to provide coverage to you on your current contract, I dont know if thats right or wrong, but im sure it says it the Meteor contract any issues after sign up that you have 14 days to cancel, you can't cancel becuse you have no coverage in 'Daves' house, i'm not saying thats what happening here as the OP moved house, but could be what the OP may come up against if they continue to try cancel and was trying to offer some alternatives

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Check their coverage map: http://www.meteor.ie/plans/coverage/. If you are inside a coverage area and still not getting signal that would give you extra ammunition to get them to cancel.

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    Check their coverage map: http://www.meteor.ie/plans/coverage/. If you are inside a coverage area and still not getting signal that would give you extra ammunition to get them to cancel.

Thanks steven, I'm right on the borderline.

2ijg7rm.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

I also live in Knocklyon and have a bit of a problem in my house. I have to be upstaris, or near a window to make a call. It's partially because where I live is quite low relative to the surrounding area, and there are stupid celtic tiger apartments right next door.

I'm sticking with Meteor though, because I get it half price through the family and friends offer, and the coverage is good almost everywhere else.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

DA365 wrote: »
    Thanks steven, I'm right on the borderline.

2ijg7rm.png

Definitely use that as an argument against them, that shows you as being in coverage, so you have good reason to believe it would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,002 ✭✭✭kirving

This map is for illustrative purposes, based on estimated coverage of network. Meteor gives no guarantee or warranty as to levels of coverage in any specific area. Coverage may vary in more specific areas than displayed. Speeds are subject to coverage and availability of service.

To be fair, that's on the page right below the map. I don't like the fact that coverage in my house isn't the best, but I bought the phone knowing what the coverage was like, and I don't expect them to build a mast just for me.

Could you ask them about a reception booster, along the lines of Vodafone's SureSignal? I know that some companies give them out to business users, but maybe they might be able to facilitate you and those on your road?

Advertisement