Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do?

Options
  • 13-06-2012 3:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I have just decided I want to do a course in UCD and put it down on my cao form. The only problem is I do not know what to do for accommodation. I put my name down on the waiting list but my number is in the 2000s and there are only 737 places on campus. It is not very likely I will get it so what are my other options?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Look for somewhere off-campus. A house perhaps? It would probably be quite a distance away from the college as well as UCD is located in an affluent but residential location. Houses are highly priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rebel401

seanog9494 wrote: »
    I have just decided I want to do a course in UCD and put it down on my cao form. The only problem is I do not know what to do for accommodation. I put my name down on the waiting list but my number is in the 2000s and there are only 737 places on campus. It is not very likely I will get it so what are my other options?

I was in the 2000s last year when I applied for campus accommodation and I got it with lots of options! Loads of ppl put their name down as a back up incase they get offered UCD but it mightn't be their first choicother they may decide to repeat there's loads of senorios, So you still have a high chance of getting campus even with your number being in the 2000s don't stress about it yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Here forgive my ignorance I live at home, but aren't there like 7000 spaces on res? Why are only 700 available?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 seanog9494

errlloyd wrote: »
    Here forgive my ignorance I live at home, but aren't there like 7000 spaces on res? Why are only 700 available?
    Some are kept for continuing students, international students etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Rebel401

errlloyd wrote: »

i dont think there's 7000 exactly. but they allocate a certain number for each category! First years around 700, internationals get around 900, continuing undergrads around 300 and then final years/post grads are around 600 i think? they just make sure everyone is accommodated from all years :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Worst case scenario you can get accommodation somewhere 10-15 minutes away. Blackrock, Ranelagh and Rathmines are all easily accessible from the college and have decent enough rent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 nimurray

I was in the 3000's a few years ago and still got to pick where i wanted to stay on res on the first round offers for campus! :) When you get your offers make sure to refresh the page tho if you don't get the res that you'd prefer, bit of a dodgy system and more offers come up after refreshing! Res on belfield campus is much better than blackrock/muckross btw!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 small wet rubber ducky

Off campus will pretty much always work out cheaper anyway. Just keep your eyes peeled on daft. Daft have a college search... If you look under sharing and search for accommodation near UCD it saves you having to put in all the different areas individually and will give you a commute time as well. You can also restrict it to walking distance only, or pick stuff that's on a public transport route to UCD. You could also get together with a couple of friends and rent an entire place together. Alternatively there's always the option of digs, living with a family and get your dinners provided for you, think they mostly expect you to go home at the weekend.

If you do look at off campus though you'll need to figure out where you're based in UCD as it's a bloody big campus and something that's right next to one side of UCD could still be a 30 minute walk from your lectures.

Don't stress about finding somewhere to live, there are loads of places. If you do end up looking for off campus places, post back here and people can give you a list of things to check for before you sign any leases.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭DANCE111

Last year, I was also in the late 2000's on the list, and I still got the accomodation I wanted on campus. There'll be lots of people ahead of you on the list, who either won't study in UCD, or else they decide not to live on campus anymore. So don't fret!

Your place on the waiting list will be adjusted after the CAO offers come out and are accepted. UCD will remove those who are no longer going to be studying at UCD, and you'll be given a new, lower number. You can check your number on the waitlist in August in the "Complete my Booking" tab in UCD SIS web.

UCD then send out emails to the UCD Connect Accounts, periodically (at the end of August after CAO offers are accepted) to give people the opportunity to go online and book their room.

Hope this helps! :)

Advertisement