Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitcoins

Options
  • 13-06-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Had the client on my laptop (which is now broken)
    Getting a new PC but how do I get my address/account/wallet back?

Don't tell me I've lost my coins. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You need to retrieve the wallet file from the hard drive (as far as I know) unless you had a backup somewhere. Usually you can get files off your hard drive. Did you have many coins stored?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ThisNoize

Khannie wrote: »
    You need to retrieve the wallet file from the hard drive (as far as I know) unless you had a backup somewhere. Usually you can get files off your hard drive. Did you have many coins stored?

wallet.dat ?
    I think I might have that backed up externally.

Around 54 coins.

Not sure if that's the actual filename. I have a fairly limited understanding of bitcoin (though I do have some, I let a 3rd party hang on to them for me). Quite a bit of moolah though given current exchange rates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

They're an interesting concept alright. The smartest guy I know has invested quite a bit of money in them.

This thread has prompted me to wonder: The amount of possible bitcoins in finite. What happens when part of them (like in this thread) get lost? Eventually, after a long time, a very large number would be lost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Refeek Maher

Did you get your coins back in the end??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Did you get your coins back in the end??

Get a time machine and go back three years to find out

Advertisement