Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Doom wrote: »
    That must be the 3mile high mountain at the centre of the creator or maybe the edge of it.

From Guardian website;
    Over the next 98 weeks – or one Martian year – the six-wheeled vehicle will trundle around the ancient Gale crater and scale its central mound, the three mile-high Mount Sharp

one of the JPL people suggested that those might be the rim of the crater but he wasn't sure until they got exact rover coordinates and orientation.

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

cereberus wrote: »
    Although I think it was meant to get as far away as possible from landing site after deployment, maybe curiosity's camera's will be able to see it.
    Could probably take a spin over there if it wanted anyway.:)

It will never go near the skycrane as the possibility of hydrazine contamination to the instruments would destroy the mission

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

is that true that they can clean hazcam lens from remote?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Phewwww only heard about it now(making a safe tough down that is!). Glad they made it safe, hopefully they confirm some exciting stuff within the next few months. Well done to NASA for landing the thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

jumpjack wrote: »
    is that true that they can clean hazcam lens from remote?!?

It has a dust cap that can be popped off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Doom wrote: »
    That must be the 3mile high mountain at the centre of the creator or maybe the edge of it.

From Guardian website;
    Over the next 98 weeks – or one Martian year – the six-wheeled vehicle will trundle around the ancient Gale crater and scale its central mound, the three mile-high Mount Sharp

At the press conference one of the engineers mentioned that the components were tested to three times life, and not to failure - so while they are saying it's a two year mission, he was willing to go on the record and say they could easily get 4 years out of the machine! In truth, this thing could still be trundling around 6 years or even 10 years from now - perhaps with much reduced capabilities, but still functioning.

They also mentioned there's no reliance on consumables such as gases to run instruments.

Opportunity is still trundling about 8 years after it landed - not bad for something that was to last 3 months and cover about 1.5km!

Can I do this on the iPhone?

I don't know - I'm more of android person!

curiosity-hirise.png

Curiosity as seen by MRO!

index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=27269

Just stunning!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Highlighted here
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/08/mro-curiosity-descent/

MRO-hires.jpg

“This image was taken six minutes after MSL entered the atmosphere,”

That is just unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

bogman wrote: »
    Highlighted here
    http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/08/mro-curiosity-descent/

MRO-hires.jpg

“This image was taken six minutes after MSL entered the atmosphere,”

That is just unreal

That's just mind bogglingly, jaw droppingly awesazing

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

On holidays at the moment and have alack of internet, so I didn't get to post earlier... Anyways, HURRAY! Well done to NASA, what a milestone in engineerig and science.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Days like this and pics from the MRO make me very proud to be part of our amazing species. It's but a blink of an eye since we were shaping handaxes from flint and just look at us now.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

FLA_397506083EDR_F0010008AUT_04096M_.JPG

Shadows on Mars. The mountain looms large in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

Why are the pics black & white...wudda thought in this day and age someone wudda strapped a smartphone or something on the front LoL>

seriously though...why only B&W pics?

CSU wrote: »
    Why are the pics black & white...wudda thought in this day and age someone wudda strapped a smartphone or something on the front LoL>

The current pics are from the hazcams which have fish eye lenses and are mainly used for navigation and only need to be black and white. The main cameras are on a mast but it won't be deployed for a few days. They are full colour. Patience is the name of the game.

They're just haz-cam photos - the main mast camera deploys later in the week.

Should have stuck a GoPro on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

In the preliminary stages of the missions, photos while awesome, don't need too much detail. Time available for data transfers is extremely limited and from Nasa's point of view the data they want isn't pictures; it's the health reports of the rover and her lovely instruments. Beautiful pictures will come in time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Any more releases/press conferences due on Nasa TV ? I fancied gobbling up a bit of gobbledigook data before bedtime :) , but all I'm getting are teenage science snippets, am I not clicking somewhere I should be ? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Not a whole lot going on from what i can see. I dont know when they are planning to raise the mastcam and head for the hills either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

Any more releases/press conferences due on Nasa TV ? I fancied gobbling up a bit of gobbledigook data before bedtime :) , but all I'm getting are teenage science snippets, am I not clicking somewhere I should be ? :confused:

I have a feeling there is one due at 1600 PDT(in about one and a half hours time), then again at 1000PDT(1800) tomorrow. Other than that there are some which recorded earlier here http://www.ustream.tv/nasajpl/videos although I am not sure how many of them you have seen (or how many times you have seen them:)).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm ravenous for more surface images from Curiosity.:)

From a couple of the hazcam images drip fed to us today I'd say the full colour panoramic shots will be incredible - the first shots of the Martian surface from the initial the landing spot to show a really mountainous, rugged terrain. I can't wait!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

shamelessly taken from you laugh you lose but what the heck!!
    zKdJN.jpg

Joking aside when will the colour pictures start coming in??

Press conference at 12 midnight. According to twitter they will have colour decent images from the MARDI (Mars Decent Imager) camera. Should be spectacular.

shedweller wrote: »
    Not a whole lot going on from what i can see. I dont know when they are planning to raise the mastcam and head for the hills either!

Mastcam won't be raised for a few days. It will be months before they reach the hills.

Check out the google graphic on google Look in the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Check out the google graphic on google Look in the sky!

Just saw that on facebook, it's depressing because I was checking the google doodle all day hoping for something Curiosity related and they had it there right under my nose the whole time.:o Well played Google. Well Played.

Hmm... then again.

london_2012_javelin_google_doodle.jpg

and then :

631925905.png?key=6401328&Expires=1344292219&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=eOAweHFdqNUcYvA39~vcSLdauzG-gNuCM6uF4dWlcPaYN0uCxb7r-dyaJ6S~hPeM86pNrNBcqEKQHQM6I4IgJc9~lEVxacnjdhYQYQjc81XDOn5GXr4ud10sH~diFuuK6H3qiGo13e1Ce9bZ~1zt1B18vY6EizgQSJM3T2m7SGo_

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Everytime I look at this673474main_msl-3_full.jpg I see this guy

splodge.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

501ff16042143.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

press conference on nasa tv now

Advertisement