Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

don't forget the ice-caps - Mars has two polar ice caps comprising of mostly water ice (understandably enough), with some dust and frozen CO2.

The patterns in the landscape also suggest there was running water (rivers, if you like) at some stage and there may be something akin to a muddy slurry that appears from time to time........

Seasonal Flows on Warm Martian Slopes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I believe there is thought to be an underground ice-water table which its distance to the surface decreases with an increase in latitude.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I thought that this was very funny!:D

0039_ef90_500.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Software upgrades are being done this weekend to change from EDL to surface ops. Once this is done we can expect some driving around to happen. Well, maybe not "around" but certainly towards mt. Sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Could someone explain why there are so many blacked out areas in rover photos.

For instance, that panoramic shot they took has parts of the rover blacked out.

• Advertisement

Could someone explain why there are so many blacked out areas in rover photos.

For instance, that panoramic shot they took has parts of the rover blacked out.

Have a look for Microsoft ICE(excellent panoramic software and it is free)
    Take some photos that overlap an area and use ICE to join them. Unless you line it up perfectly you will get black areas. it is simply unphotographed areas

You will also notice in the panoramas where the photos do not join properly. This is usually at widest angle and or near objects as lens distortion is magnified

Nasa mostly go for data type photos. Later on there will be more visually pleasing photos from msl.

This is a bit of a giggle.....

https://twitter.com/SarcasticRover

An alternative take on the MSL Mission!

My own favourite would be....

"I think I've got a dust allergy!! WORST PLANET IN THE UNIVERSE TO BE! EXCEPT FOR EARTH… POLLEN amirght?! I miss the flowers."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭The Scratcher

So many stones!! I don't know where to look!! :P

Only joking! amazing pics, It reminds me of Mongolia actually!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Could someone also explain why Mars looks so red in certain photos and more of a sandy colours in others.

A combination of a few factors. Different filters (Curiosirty has 14 of them) will be applied to photos for scientific reasons - also light on Mars light 'looks' different to light on earth because of the amount of dust in the atmosphere and the composition of the atmosphere itself. The colour of the sky and the light change during the Martian day.

From NASA.....

"The Mastcam is designed to take single-exposure, color snapshots similar to those taken with a consumer digital camera on Earth. In addition, it has multiple filters for taking sets of monochromatic (single-color) images. These images are used to analyze patterns of light absorption in different portions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

An explanation of some of the jargon used during the landing.......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19198189

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

A strange cloud on Mars seen by NASA's Curiosity rover just after it landed on the Martian surface this week set the Internet buzzing over what it might be. Was it a dust storm? Part of the rover? Something a bit more … alien-y?
    Well, NASA has solved the mystery. The weird blob in Curiosity's first photos was actually the huge dust cloud kicked up by the sky crane descent stage that delivered the rover to the Red Planet.
    "We believe we've caught what is the descent stage impact on the Martian surface," Steve Sell, NASA's deputy operations lead for Curiosity's Mars landing, told reporters today at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif.
    http://www.space.com/17047-mars-rover-photo-mystery-cloud-solved.html

It's probably the closest we'll come to seeing the descent stages final moments. It did its job so well there's hardly any soil disturbed around the rovers wheels, from what i can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

dont know if it was posted already, too excited to check :D

http://www.360cities.net/image/curiosity-rover-martian-solar-day-2#460.07,6.59,16.6

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Scruff wrote: »

http://www.360cities.net/image/curiosity-rover-martian-solar-day-2#460.07,6.59,16.6

whats going to happen the rover if its get hit by a huge dust storm?

all the camera would get covered in dust and be unusable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

irishgeo wrote: »

Hasn't happened to Opportunity which has been on the surface of Mars for years.

Maybe they use similar cameras that you see in formula 1 racing that clean themselves?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

irishgeo wrote: »

They just turn the camera away from the direction of the storm. Any dust that stays will be blown away by the winds.

• Advertisement

They also calibrate the cameras (you can see calibration targets on different parts of the rover) so the software can figure out what's dust on the lens and what's an actual object.

NASA to Host Teleconference About Curiosity Rover Progress at 6 i believe

http://www.nasa.gov/news/media/newsaudio/index.html

Scruff wrote: »

That is an EPIC panorama! I'd show my kids but they'd be "meh!"
    Feckin playstation generation!!
    I haven't heard any word on the software update. I presume this panorama is a product of it.
    Any updates on the ....er.... Updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

481927_399282670121714_883894579_n.jpg

Curiosity as taken from the HiRISE camera

May be of interest......"Invaders from Earth" - a graphic summarising Mars missions to date

invaders-from-earth_502977b213bca_w587.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

shizz wrote: »
    481927_399282670121714_883894579_n.jpg

Curiosity as taken from the HiRISE camera

Looks like a police car with the camera going?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

shedweller wrote: »
    That is an EPIC panorama! I'd show my kids but they'd be "meh!"
    Feckin playstation generation!!
    I haven't heard any word on the software update. I presume this panorama is a product of it.
    Any updates on the ....er.... Updates?
    did you try the 'little planet' view....excellent it is. right click anywhere and a choice of different views comes up.

I did and it is excellent. I did find it worked more intuitively on the touchscreen of my phone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

I have stopped been interested in these missions because its fairly obvious to anyone with a thinking brain. We only get half the story and told some of it. Cameras are so advanced today/ imagine what the military has, and yet the images so far are ok but not great. Till i get to Mars and that is likely never. I will keep an openmind how dead Mars is. Weren't they meant to be looking for signs of life ( Methane was found) yet are looking at rocks. Boring.

Advertisement