Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

0036MH0051003007I1_DXXX.jpg
    This is the opening into the CheMin. Looks clean!:)

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-09/11/curiosity-bacteria-mars
    When searching for life on another world, the most fundamental precaution that any space agency needs to take with any probe or rover is to ensure it doesn't carry Earth microbes. However, if reports are to be believed, Nasa may have screwed up -- and is hoping that it doesn't find any water when it drills into the Martian soil.
    According to the Los Angeles Times, the possible contamination occurred six months before the rover's launch in November 2011. Curiosity's drillbits were designed to be stored in a sealed box, separate from the drill mechanism -- however, a Nasa engineer worried that a rough landing might make assembling the drill on Mars impossible (and thus rendering one of the rover's most important tools impotent), and opened the sealed unit to install one drill bit as a kind of backup. This happened without consulting Nasa's team dedicated to avoiding contaminating Mars with Earth bacteria.
    :eek: Without consulting????? In NASA?????:confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yea i read that yesterday, pretty crazy stuff. It would have been a disaster if the rover couldn't get to the drill after landing but I'm pretty sure the potential disaster from what they did might be a bit worse! Still, if nothing else he could be the guy who seeded life on mars :eek:

Zap the drill with the ChemCam maybe? The laser will both sterilise the drill AND ChemCam will tell if anything organic is or was on the drill!

Dibs on the idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

shedweller wrote: »

Wasn't this problem realised pretty soon after it launched? I recall reading this many months ago.

shizz wrote: »
    Wasn't this problem realised pretty soon after it launched? I recall reading this many months ago.
    I do recall the issue with grease from the drills gearbox contaminating samples but this latest thing is new to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Ardent

Jernal wrote: »
    Shamelessy stolen from YLYl.

xlarge.jpg

Puts a lot of things in perspective.:)

Not really. Avatar took IN 2.78 billion at the box office most likely, it surely didn't cost 2.78b to make?!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,380 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ardent wrote: »
    Not really. Avatar took IN 2.78 billion at the box office most likely, it surely didn't cost 2.78b to make?!

I think it means the public spent $2.78 billion on going to see it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

May be a hoax as of yet.

• Advertisement

slade_x wrote: »
    May be a hoax as of yet.
    Drumming up publicity ya reckon? Wouldn't rule it out to be fair.

0036MH0051003007I1_DXXX.jpg
    This is the opening into the CheMin. Looks clean!:)
    Edit: thats the SAM
    Here's something else to ogle:

686602main_pia16164-946.gif

Rock and soil samples? How do they plan on getting the bits that stick in the mesh out? Please dont tell me that there won't be any large bits going near it! They haven't heard of Murphys Law have they??!!:D
    Aaaanyway, here's a portrait of the APXS:

686472main_pia16160-43_800-600.jpg
    Looks like they have zeroed in their arm skillz.
    Is this brightness simulated or actual?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyway, has anybody noticed the dents in the wheels?

Maybe happened on touchdown?

Regarding sound on Mars - at about 0.6%% of Earth's atmospheric density, there's not much gas to carry sound, even if the ear listening to it wasn't encased in a pressure suit.

Scrap the cap!

Ah yes but....

The dents are on opposite sides and indeed, randomly around the wheel i highlighted above.
    In fairness, the dents i highlighted are in a straight line across the wheel so they may well be the ones caused by touchdown.
    They have a g-meter onboard so there is data somewhere on the loads sustained upon touchdown. Now, where to look.....

Might have been mentioned before, and relates more to Opportunity than Curiosity but I thought it was pretty exciting anyway: http://www.lifescientist.com.au/article/436306/iron_blueberries_may_sign_microbial_life_mars/

:)

Brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

I wonder if they put a microphone on the rover would one hear thunder and howling wind? I know its a thin atmosphere but i wonder is there some sort of sound even from the dust devils

ronan45 wrote: »
    I wonder if they put a microphone on the rover would one hear thunder and howling wind? I know its a thin atmosphere but i wonder is there some sort of sound even from the dust devils

I remember hearing a sound from a different Mars lander. Can't find the audio but it IIRC it was a high pitched white noise sort of sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ronan45 wrote: »

On my phone at the moment so I'll grab the full linky later, I linked to "sound from mars" in a different post in this or a similar thread somewhere. It is quite frankly awful noise to listen to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I was just imagining supply ships being filmed from a Martian base landing Curiosity style by Martianauts.

One can dream.

Sol 38 (Sept. 13, 2012) was destined to be a driving day for NASA's latest edition to the Martian landscape. Curiosity perambulated over 105 feet (32 meters) of unpaved Gale Crater during yesterday's drive. The rover's odometer now clocks in at 466 feet (142 meters) covered since the landing on Aug. 5.

The sol's activities also included pre- and post-drive imaging of the road ahead by both Mastcam and Hazcam, and science measurements from the DAN and REMS instruments.

The Sol 38 Navcam image of the surface in front of the rover can be found at: (raw image at: http://1.usa.gov/QLCB15 ).

In addition, Curiosity's science instruments performed observations and measurements, including Mastcam observations of the Martian moon Phobos passing in front of the sun.

Curiosity continues to work in good health. Sol 38, in Mars local mean solar time at Gale Crater, ended at 8:34 a.m. on Sept. 14, PDT.
    NLA_400871482EDR_F0040404NCAM00409M_.JPG
    FLA_400871396EDR_F0040404FHAZ00302M_.JPG

I know it will take forever, but I hope some guy puts together all the images that the rover takes as its travelling and somehow puts them into a video of its journey similar to the landing video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

interesting them rocky bits to the side... Are we gonna pew pew them ? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭ThatDrGuy

I think it was the phoenix lander that had the microphone. All they got was white noise / static from it.

I did a bit of looking and the Mars Polar Lander was the one with a microphone. But contact was lost with it during the landing i think.
    http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msp98/lander/fact.html
    http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msp98/lidar/microphone/index.html

It's a bit late now but here is some more reading on the whole EDL.
    http://www.spaceflight101.com/msl-landing-special.html
    For example, the skycrane winch:
    310224_orig.jpg
    And a worst case scenario:
    5184500_orig.jpg?459

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Brilliant :)

There is audio in this video, is this added during editing or is there a microphone on board:confused:?

All computer generated and superimposed over the video. I think it's the same soundtrack they used in the animated version of the video.

• Advertisement

Here's the BUD:bridle_device_assembly1.jpg
    That is, the Bridle Umbilical and Descent Rate Limiter.

Advertisement