Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Went on a tour of JPL today with one of the MSL team members. I'll post a load of photos later on, but this was my favourite bit. We went into the garage where they have Curiosity's twin (Maggie) parked up. Outside of the garage is a mock Mars terrain that they use to test driving over rocks and up hills. It was raining, so we couldn't bring her out to play!

http://campl.us/nLrA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Commander, some nice pics there. You lucky lucky......fecker!

I saw this earlier today. Curiosity got to use MAHLI at night, which was something i was wondering was possible. They got a nice pic too:
    721592main_pia16711-43_946-710.jpg
    Some of the spiel to go with it:
    This image of a Martian rock illuminated by white-light LEDs (light emitting diodes) is part of the first set of nighttime images taken by the Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) camera at the end of the robotic arm of NASA's Mars rover Curiosity. MAHLI took the images on Jan. 22, 2012 (PST), after dark on the 165th Martian day, or sol, of the rover's work on Mars.

This rock target in the "Yellowknife Bay" area of Mars' Gale Crater is called "Sayunei." The image covers an area about 1.3 inches by 1 inch (3.4 by 2.5 centimeters). The illumination came from one of MAHLI's two groups of white LED pairs. This allowed surface features to cast shadows and provide textural detail.

White-light LED illumination was also used for a nighttime image of MAHLI's calibration target, shown at http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/pia16713.html .

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS

Also, they took one in ultraviolet light to see if any minerals that flouresce were present:
    721605main_pia16712-43_946-710.jpg
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20130124.html
    Now if they do some night time long exposures like this:

I swear i might wet myself!:D

Where those famous shots came from.
    campl.us/nLqa

• Site Banned Posts: 12 ballyturtles

I was taking a look through the photos on that link and I fount this one of Curiosity's twin Maggie - http://campl.us/nLrA - I didn't even know there was a twin!

I was taking a look through the photos on that link and I fount this one of Curiosity's twin Maggie - http://campl.us/nLrA - I didn't even know there was a twin!

I posted that yesterday. It's a exact replica except for the power plant that they use as a test bed. They have a yard full of rocks and dunes that they use to simulate Mars, and drive the rover over them. Can do any trial and error here, rather than in the actual rover. It's huge, couldn't get over the size of it.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12 ballyturtles

Oh sorry I must have missed your other post. I take it they didn't shown you Maggie in action then? Although I havn't seen it in the flesh (well, metal) I did see a scale of the rover next to various familiar objects and I was surprised that they managed to land something that big 100 million miles from home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

It's huge, couldn't get over the size of it.

Yeah I had a vision of a cute Wall-E type robot zipping around Mars, and as there is nothing from Earth there to get a sense of scale, it was only when I saw a YouTube video of the twin that it was the size of a large jeep or van.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

TheUsual wrote: »
    Yeah I had a vision of a cute Wall-E type robot zipping around Mars, and as there is nothing from Earth there to get a sense of scale, it was only when I saw a YouTube video of the twin that it was the size of a large jeep or van.

I think they said it was the size of a mini, but I could be wrong for the 50th time.

I think they said it was the size of a mini, but I could be wrong for the 50th time.

You may be correct.
    I need to see a picture of it beside something for scale, like a NASA scientist.

Oh sorry I must have missed your other post. I take it they didn't shown you Maggie in action then? Although I havn't seen it in the flesh (well, metal) I did see a scale of the rover next to various familiar objects and I was surprised that they managed to land something that big 100 million miles from home!

It was lashing rain out, so they didn't bring her out. The mast that you can see with what looks like a head is about 9/10 foot off the ground.

It has the same wheel base as a VW Beetle. I asked if that was by accident or by design and they all laughed.

Here's a pic for scale. It's just off the web. Looks like it was taken in the Mars Yard.
    RoverComparison.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭4ndroid

RoverComparison.jpg

Biggest damn mini i ever saw

4ndroid wrote: »
    Biggest damn mini i ever saw

Or they could just be really short engineers. :pac:

Spirit/Opportunity test vehicle. Had to wear an electrostatic shielded lab coat to go anywhere near the testbeds in this room. (so that's me in the lab coat in the reflection!)

8414817815_df71098fe9_z.jpg

The "Mars Yard"

8414829595_d90feabbe6_z.jpg

Where Curiosity, Voyager, Cassini etc talk back to via an array of dishes & satellites. The room is kept fairly dim, so if there's an emergency light flashing it will be much more noticeable on the banks of screens they monitor.

The second pic is a stream of the data coming back in real time from each of those programs. Voyager was transmitting back when we were there, which was amazing to think. Voyager is that far away now, they have to slow the transmission rate down on the onboard data recorder. In the next year or so they wont be able to slow the tape any further without it stopping, so Voyager will become a real time only transmission, so if it sees something, and we aren't in a position to receive the transmission we'll miss it.

8414832061_fe415b9a5c_z.jpg
    8414834831_db3de6fd95_z.jpg

Nice pics thecommander. Must have been some experience.

Curiosity used her brush again and has revealed some nice veiny structures in the rock. The ChemCam was used but i'm unsure of where exactly. I'm guessing the veins themselves may get zapped, if they already haven't.
    http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/msss/00169/mhli/0169MH0205001000E1_DXXX.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Aquarius34

Oh I gotta hear this. What are NASA really up to?

Ever hear of "think about it"

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has placed its drill onto a series of four locations on a Martian rock and pressed down on it with the rover's arm, in preparation for using the drill in coming days.

The rover carried out this "pre-load" testing on Mars yesterday (Jan. 27). The tests enable engineers to check whether the amount of force applied to the hardware matches predictions for what would result from the commanded motions.

The next step is an overnight pre-load test, to gain assurance that the large temperature change from day to night at the rover's location does not add excessively to stress on the arm while it is pressing on the drill. At Curiosity's work site in Gale Crater, air temperature plunges from about 32 degrees Fahrenheit (zero degrees Celsius) in the afternoon to minus 85 degrees Fahrenheit (minus 65 degrees Celsius) overnight. Over this temperature swing, this large rover's arm, chassis and mobility system grow and shrink by about a tenth of an inch (about 2.4 millimeters), a little more than the thickness of a U.S. quarter-dollar coin.
    http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/news/msl20130128.html

722682main_pia16716-43_1024-768.jpg

This should be fun!

BBC4 mission to Mars, just started, that is all.

Horizon is a one hour special Curiosity on Mars - on BBC4 right now.

*you beat me to it!!"

• Advertisement

Checked sky menu. Have bbc2 NI. Great. Just great! I'll check online later.

Great show, twas only 2 of 6, so looking forward to the next 4 , but mostly the last 1, you post some great stuff shedweller, I am looking, listening, learning, tis a beautifull time to be watching the outer cosmos, that is all.

Great show, twas only 2 of 6, so looking forward to the next 4 , but mostly the last 1.

Nice one. I didn't know that.
    Here is the BBC page for the show
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01llnb2

No new updates on any drilling activities but i saw a tweet on the nasa site that mentioned them considering doing some night time photography. :):)
    As a (very) part time photographer i am really excited about this!

MAHLI took some pics after the arm test:
    0176MR0941000000E1_DXXX.jpg

That hole in the centre was made by the drill bit pressing into the ground.
    This drill bit!
    0176MR0645000000E1_DXXX.jpg

You can see the dust receptacle under the drill housing with the six allen bolts on it. (They could have just welded that and saved some weight but sure who am i to judge!)
    I got the impression the dust would be collected as it drilled but it turns out it is temporarily collected in the drill box then tipped into the scoop and then analysed. Here's hoping for no blockages!

shedweller wrote: »
    You can see the dust receptacle under the drill housing with the six allen bolts on it. (They could have just welded that and saved some weight but sure who am i to judge!)
    I got the impression the dust would be collected as it drilled but it turns out it is temporarily collected in the drill box then tipped into the scoop and then analysed. Here's hoping for no blockages!

So I went and asked;
    The main reason is that we need to be able to disassemble and reassemble devices if the need arises during testing (like if we do a vibration test and a part breaks). You can imagine if you started assembling things and in some testing something broke but it was all welded, you’d have to go back and redeliver a larger part. It would likely save a little weight to weld (and we’re very conscience of weight), but I believe that the ability to address any issues that come up outweigh the added mass of bolting.

^^^^^^^^

You asked before or after i mentioned this? If it's after i asked then that's some dedication! Fair play.:)
    If it's before i asked then you had a very comprehensive conversation with them!

Are you still in contact with the people at JPL?

Anyway, here's a closeup of the mark made by the drill bit.
    724426main_pia16717-43_946-710.jpg
    Preparatory Test for First Rock Drilling by Mars Rover Curiosity
    The bit in the rotary-percussion drill of NASA's Mars rover Curiosity left its mark in a target patch of rock called "John Klein" during a test on the rover's 176th Martian day, or sol (Feb. 2, 2013), in preparation for the first drilling of a rock by the rover.

The Sol 176 test, called the "drill on rock checkout," used only the hammering or percussive action of the drill, not rotary action.

This image from the Mars Hand Lens Imager (MAHLI) camera on the rover's arm was taken with the camera positioned about 4 inches (10 centimeters) off the ground. It shows an area of John Klein about 3 inches (7.7 centimeters) wide. The length of the gray divot cut by the drill bit is about two-thirds of an inch (1.7 centimeters).

Another preparatory test, called "mini drill," will precede the full drilling. The mini drill test will use both the rotary and percussive actions of the drill to generate a ring of rock powder around a hole. This will allow evaluating the appearance of these drill tailings, to see if they are behaving as dry powder suitable for processing by the rover's sample handling mechanisms.

Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS

shedweller wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^

You asked before or after i mentioned this? If it's after i asked then that's some dedication! Fair play.:)
    If it's before i asked then you had a very comprehensive conversation with them!

Are you still in contact with the people at JPL?

I asked after you mentioned it, just sent a quick email. He said he's happy to answer questions! I'd be in regular contact contact by email, text, twitter etc. Trying to get him back to visit Dublin for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Nasa Pic of the day: Point Lake on Mars (November)

pointlake_curiosity_960.jpg

Is it me or does that mountain look closer?

The excitement is........mounting!:pac:

Sorry...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Advertisement