Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think it is a lighting effect. The hard surface is the cream colour all down the left side of the pic, with the top left in daylight. All around the drill hole is a grey cement-like powder. You can see some of the powder in direct daylight to the bottom left of the hole and some daylight is making it into the hole.

I think this means the close-up is reversed compared to the image of the whole arm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

It would have been nice to have an ability to blow out the hole for inspection. That said, chemcam can still do its job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Thats pretty cool. I was listening to a startalk podcast today and Bill Nye the science guy was on it saying that for every dollar spent on space technology there is something like $3.50 generated.
    Why arent we all at it??!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The senior review panel are not bean counters. They are planetary scientists. Their opinion matters. Exploring at any cost is not viable. If this review forces the Curiosity team to work hard and produce more results then that is a positive. The Curiosity team should take a leaf out of the Cassini teams book. Cassini is a 20 year old spacecraft and it is still producing masses of new and exciting data. And for its extended mission they are doing even more new science. Curiosity is very capable but the science team need to push it more and deliver on the $2.5bn investment.
    IamA NASA Planetary Scientist, Ask Me Anything about tonight's lunar eclipse?

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Let them breath argon instead :p

TBH while separating nitrogen and oxygen gases is difficult , it should be very easy to "burn off" the surplus oxygen

to get an inert gas you could separate out nitrogen/argon from the atmosphere of mars by removing the CO2 ( cold or pressure ?) , yes that would leave a lot ( any little bit of CO is a lot ) of carbon monoxide but the excess oxygen would help there and you should only need to do it when inert breath gas runs low

or you could do what apollo did and just use pure O2 at 1/3rd atmosphere , which solves some other pressure problems. Then again using normal pressure and 17% oxygen would almost eliminate fire risk. Or you could choose materials that weren't flammable

Pick your poison time.

But it shows why peer-review is necessary. Think of how much was spent on Biosphere II because they didn't know about concrete and carbon dioxide.

Bleedin tough, thats what! Its one thing to be actually on mars doing it. Its another to be here on earth pretending! It would be a good test then eh?

• Advertisement

Suspended Animation In Space Travel: What Scientists Still Need To Learn

Few more animal Trials to iron out kinks on muscles and brain function and then Human Trials on the ISS "soon"....maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Suspended Animation In Space Travel: What Scientists Still Need To Learn

Few more animal Trials to iron out kinks on muscles and brain function and then Human Trials on the ISS "soon"....maybe.

I actually read "human trails on ISIS", im reading too much news!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

The ISS is much more interesting, and less depressing :)

I've started following Alexander Gerst on Facebook the past 2 weeks, I recommend his page, he posts lovely pics and doesn't inundate your timeline either. Lots of interesting experiments going on up there at the moment. He's only been up there since August I think, so you can scroll back to when they took off, and it's lovely how excited he was at first, lots of aurora and cloud pics.
    https://www.facebook.com/ESAAlexGerst?fref=nf

Haven't checked on Curiosity lately, must go for a look after kids bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I had a weird dream last night that I was living on mars in the distant future and visiting the Mars Museum where Curiosity stood pride of place. What a weird dream but one that could totally be true for future humans living on mars. Its a lovely thought!

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I had a weird dream last night that I was living on mars in the distant future and visiting the Mars Museum where Curiosity stood pride of place. What a weird dream but one that could totally be true for future humans living on mars. Its a lovely thought!
    It will certainly happen. Its just a matter of when.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

You've all read The Martian by Andy Weir, haven't you?

Well, you should.

Well, you should.
    Thanks for that. I've been at a loose end after finishing Alastair Reynolds last few books.

That book looks brilliant, can't wait to read it now !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I can confirm that it is, in fact, brilliant.

I can confirm that it is, in fact, brilliant.
    Well...does he die?

• Advertisement

I'm not going to spoil it.

I'm not going to spoil it.
    spoil-sport

:P

spoil-sport

But seriously, you should read it if you haven't yet!

ChemCam took this last night at 18:00. Looks like more white powder deposits??
    CR0_467532591PRC_F0440190CCAM03789L1.PNG
    NavCam took this in the vertical format, which is weird every time i see a landscape taken that way!
    NLB_467534187EDR_S0440190NCAM00552M_.JPG
    HazCam took this view of Mt.Sharp. I did notice in one of these recently that there were large concentric circular cracks in the bedrock.
    FLB_467529567EDR_F0440190FHAZ00323M_.JPG

NAVCAM took this yesterday (sol 799) and it looks like a check to see the sample receptacle is ok for samples??
    NLB_468427411EDR_F0441140NCAM00101M_.JPG
    MASTCAM took this one of a few cracks on bedrock. There appears to be more of those white deposits in the upper left area, along with some harder inclusions that havent eroded as much.
    0799MR0034930020500190E01_DXXX.jpg
    Here is a rear hazcam view from sol 800 which was at 01:00 last night (universal time i think) and it looks like theres a bit of a move on from doing donuts over that rock!
    RLB_468506435EDR_F0441140RHAZ00323M_.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

Well, you should.

Haven't read that one. Must give it a try.

I really enjoyed Mars by Ben Bova. I'm sure some of you would have read it. It is a trilogy I think but I've only read the first two. Would recommend them.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    Haven't read that one. Must give it a try.

I really enjoyed Mars by Ben Bova. I'm sure some of you would have read it. It is a trilogy I think but I've only read the first two. Would recommend them.
    Its always great to get book recommendations from fellow space geeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

I know this is probably not the place to put this but Keith Barry has predicted NASA will find a metal on mars proving life outside earth exists.

Now the way these things usually work is Keith Barry will do a load of research and have insider info be it from someone in NASA or government.

Either way if a metal object is found could it not just be natural or is there a way to determine if it was made by intelligent life?

The presence of ores/metal elements has already been detected.
    I think he has simply left the prediction vague enough so that if possible detection of previous life forms did happen, he could claim that the soil/rock the traces are in contained metal (so he would have in fact "predicted" it).
    Direct evidence for useful materials

Nakhla meteorite, one of many pieces of Mars that have landed on the Earth. Visible are its two sides and its inner surfaces after breaking it in 1998
    It has for some time been accepted by the scientific community that a group of meteorites came from Mars. As such, they represent actual samples of the planet and have been analyzed on Earth by the best equipment available. In these meteorites, called SNCs, many valuable elements have been detected. Magnesium, Aluminium, Titanium, Iron, and Chromium are relatively common in them. In addition, lithium, cobalt, nickel, copper, zinc, niobium, molybdenum, lanthanum, europium, tungsten, and gold have been found in trace amounts. It is quite possible that in some places these materials may be concentrated enough to be mined.[29]

The Mars landers Viking I, Viking II, Pathfinder, Opportunity Rover, and Spirit Rover identified aluminium, iron, magnesium, and titanium in the Martian soil.[30] Opportunity found small structures, named "blueberries" which were found to be rich in hematite, a major ore of iron.[31] These blueberries could easy be gathered up and reduced to metallic iron that could be used to make steel.

"Blueberries" (hematite spheres) on a rocky outcrop at Eagle Crater. Note the merged triplet in the upper left.
    In addition,both Spirit and Opportunity Rovers found nickel-iron meteorites sitting on the surface of Mars.[32][33] These could also be used to produce steel.[34]

In December 2011, Opportunity Rover discovered a vein of gypsum sticking out of the soil. Tests confirmed that it contained calcium, sulfur, and water. The mineral gypsum is the best match for the data. It likely formed from mineral-rich water moving through a crack in the rock. The vein, called "Homestake," is in Mars' Meridiani plain. It could have been produced in conditions more neutral than the harshly acidic conditions indicated by the other sulfate deposits; hence this environment may have been more hospitable for a large variety of living organisms. Homestake is in a zone where the sulfate-rich sedimentary bedrock of the plains meets older, volcanic bedrock exposed at the rim of Endeavour crater.[35]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ore_resources_on_Mars

Of course it'd be a different story if Curiosity were to stumble on a spanner :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bogwalrus wrote: »
    I know this is probably not the place to put this but Keith Barry has predicted NASA will find a metal on mars proving life outside earth exists.
    Finding metal proves nothing

metals like iron can be found in meteorites

native metals can be found on earth with our hotter temperatures, and water and oxidising atmosphere

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_metal

Advertisement