Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Curiosity On Mars Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

trailer for upcoming movie the martian :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

shedweller wrote: »
    Looks good!

It actually does. Read the book a few months back, wasn't that mad on it but this looks great. Might give the book a read again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah, it looks great ! Usually I don't like seeing the movie of a book that I really enjoyed, but this seems to be a pretty good job, I think I'll watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

I agree!

I think the idea of a Video blog works really well. Reading the book, I always found the notion of Watney forever sitting down and typing stuff into a terminal that no-one will read a bit difficult to believe (but was obviously necessary for the print story).

It also made the first third of the book (after the initial interesting set up) a little mundane until the other characters were introduced. I expect the movie won't suffer from that as it will necessarily keep the story going at a faster pace.

It's also great to see what looks like a decent cast and budget being thrown at it, not to mention a brilliant director in Ridley Scott, as I'd initially got the impression it might be a small indie movie.

There's also a character introductory Video blog sort of thing to promote the movie: Ares 3: Farewell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Even though I hated the book and thought it read like it had been written by a 15 year old Ill still support this in the cinema in the hopes that they make more of these kinds of films...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Curiosity having a bit of a look arount last night at 19:38. Nice view eh?!
    FLB_489741734EDR_F0481970FHAZ00302M_.JPG

Other nice view:
    NLB_489742424EDR_F0481970NCAM07753M_.JPG

• Advertisement

Mars Trek

Take a Tour of Mars, ya can even 3D print stuff off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

mg1982 wrote: »

They should get the CSI guys to zoom and enhance. I see nothing there BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

question - was watching sky at night and they had this scientist on who had a piece of meteorite that he said originated from mars, but how does he know its from mars if no one has been there yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

From wikipedia: These meteorites are thought to be from Mars because they have elemental and isotopic compositions that are similar to rocks and atmosphere gases analyzed by spacecraft on Mars.

For example, here is an article from NASA based on Curiosity Argon results.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

We have "been there" though, Viking, Pathfinder etc. Its a fairly straightforward process to tell where a meteorite came from especially a lunar or martian one.

Great piece of kit. We can barely make a machine work as flawlessly for a fraction of the time down here on earth!

Steadily climbing the foothills of Mt. Sharp.
    NLB_494529821EDR_F0492026NCAM00264M_.JPG
    And a shoddy panorama i put together from the mastcam images. Nice bit of elevation showing there!
    [IMG][/img]Mt.Sharp%20panorama2_zps1dzwdqfv.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Wow - that really looks like challenging terrain :eek:

What's the state of the wheels these days?

Gwynston wrote: »
    Wow - that really looks like challenging terrain :eek:

What's the state of the wheels these days?
    There are a few new pics there alright. I forgot to post one or two here. Doh!
    The rate of damage seems to have levelled off somewhat.

This was taken yesterday evening and i think it was evening on mars too? Look at all the veins in the rock!
    NLB_495603743EDR_F0500000NCAM00207M_-br2.jpg
    The wheels are holding out very well too, although these aren't the front wheels.
    NLB_495506504EDR_F0500000NCAM00354M_-br2.jpg
    Hazcam view. Quite atmospheric, if i say so myself! Front wheels look really good. Testament to the driving skilz of the, er, driver(s)!
    FRB_495605168EDR_F0500000FHAZ00206M_-br2.jpg

Yeah, there are loads more wheel pics from last week too, I'm on the go but can dig them up later, I expected much worse by now too. It's pretty rocky going up.

Look at the layers!
    And the rover has been getting some cleaning done by the looks of things.
    NLB_495683124EDR_F0500114NCAM00277M_-br2.jpg

Looking back you can see the bare area curiosity just drove over, with the deeper sand and large rocks just beside it. Funny eh? Wind and time, right?
    NLB_495683093EDR_F0500114NCAM00277M_-br2.jpg
    MAHLI image from yesterday showing those veins a bit closer. And the weird knobbly bits that look like they've been cut with a gas torch!
    1106MH0003690000401267R00_DXXX.jpg

I rotated this mascam picture so you dont have to stand on yer heads!
    Mt%20Sharp%20sept%202015_zpsim84a1e5.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great pics shedweller! :) Looks like Curiosity's making great progress as it starts to climb Mount Sharp.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Great pics shedweller! :) Looks like Curiosity's making great progress as it starts to climb Mount Sharp.
    Ah thanks. Its just a little something i threw together!
    I'll tell ya though, she's quietly moving on up that mountain. I must go look and see if the peak is higher than the crater rim. Now that would make for an amazing view!

Edit: wiki sez the peak is higher than the southern rim. No numbers so im going to guess its only by a little bit. Still, should make for some awesome pics when she gets there. All going well of course.

http://imgur.com/gallery/dZqAubc

edit : can't get pic to show directly on here. Forgot ! :/

• Advertisement

http://imgur.com/gallery/dZqAubc

edit : can't get pic to show directly on here. Forgot ! :/

How NASA Should Have Announced Their Findings

dZqAubc.jpg

Advertisement